Show us your 76 Series!

RaptorWA
Getting to know the place

Re: Show us your 76 Series!

Unread post by RaptorWA » March 7th, 2014, 2:23 am

Here is a pic of my Wagon. Have had a few trips with over 3ton now and it pulls it without an issue which is fantastic. I pick up a 2014 model tipper trailer over the next couple days and they are saying that they tow even better than the "older 2013" models that we use now. Trailer is rated at 3.2ton which is the MAX dept of transport will accept however they are approved and rated over in the UK for 3.5ton

Next Mods are to mount the new alloy bullbar, buy a chrome GXL grill, transfer over the rest of the radio gear, replace the terrible audio system and fit an ARB roof tray to mount water spray jets

With tipper attached

Managed to find an alloy bar for a reasonable price, just need to buy the mounting kit

Big Blu

Unread post by Big Blu » March 7th, 2014, 10:05 am

hey guys
A couple more additions to the blue rig since i was last on. She is slowly getting there. The Kaymar rear bar with wheel and jerry can holders which i love. Drawers in the back, Long Ranger tank (awesome until you get to the servo $$$ :boggle: ). roof rack off a 150. I got it on the cheep, hardly used. Definetly does fit but in hind sight i should have just forked out the dough and gone a new one. Way to much of a head ache putting that on (bet my mate never thought this would be the first time he would use his new winch). And last but not least, air bag assist for the back. Since the ute hasn't wanted to drive under it's own steam lately, the rear springs just havn't kept up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 VDJ76 D4D V8 4.5L Kaymar rear bar
ARB deluxe bar in cab controlled rear airbags
XD9000 warn drawers
Redarc dual batts - power in back ARB 3/4 rack
2x 18 LED Great Whites

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 7th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Is that a 2" or 3" lift? And the tyres are 33"?

Also have you had any chassis issue with the airbags in the rear?

I've been getting scorned at for wanting to put airbags in mine, but I reckon it's just "hear-say" / "key-board-warriors" at their best again. I can't see the Cruiser chassis bending/cracking..???????

Cheers

Big Blu

Unread post by Big Blu » March 7th, 2014, 7:31 pm

BTFIVO
It's a 2" lift and 33" toyo OC M/T's. i have only recently installed the air over leaf and haven't towed with them yet. But i'm with you. I understand how it 'could' be an issue, but honestly, i know a few people with cruisers with air over leaf set ups and have never heard of any dramas at all. i will only be really using them once a month when towing the ute to the drags (or to toowoomba for a new diff :irked: ).
And honestly, i would rather come into dramas with it years down the track, than have it so unstable every time i drive it on the highway with that trailer. The lift doesn't help with towing i know, but driving in a straight line rather than wagging it's tail down the highway is what i'm after.
I'll post an update later on when i get a proper run with them.

Cheers
XD9000 warn drawers
2x 18 LED Great Whites

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 7th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Yeah I want them for towing as well. My caravan is about 3 Tonne with a draw-bar weight of about 300kg. I'm currently at stock still and towed the other week. It towed ok (I have the 7.5r16 tyres) but needs more power to which I bought a KW-Systems module for it for later but I want to tow all around Oz. So about 30-40,000klm of hard towing consecutively.

I know how the bags "can" be of issue, whereby creating a pivot point rather than spreading the load across the leaf, but if you are only lifting it back up level again within design weights, I can't see the problem regardless. Also if you look at a new BT-50 chassis and a 76 Cruiser chassis, the Cruiser is much thicker. MY BT used to "hog&sag" a lot when I towed the same weight, but the Cruiser doesn't at all.

I agree on the waggy tail on the towing... holy dooley. I've still got factory offset at rear and it's highly dangerous whilst towing, especially heavy. If you look at trucks, the airbags are located at the rear of the axle carrier or leaf when joining back to the chassis. So might be a way to re-engineer it properly, enabling to run any pressures you want.

So do you mean the lift doesn't help with towing because of why exactly?? I'm not sure if I should get a lift or not... as it will only increase my COG and the Cruiser already has decent clearances. How do you find being able to tow with 33's on? And what offset are the rear mags? Are they "Allied" mags? They look great... I'm trying to find mags with -44 offset for the rear. Looks like its only spacers or some Sunraysias... mostly in PCD 6 x 137.9..not 5 x 150. Only spacers/adapters I would even trust towing heavy would be made from steel...not alloy.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice, only trying to set my truck up properly the first time round.

Big Blu

Unread post by Big Blu » March 8th, 2014, 7:41 am

Mainly beacause i didn't use HD leafs when i lifted it due to it being my daily and not often carrying a load. as you can see in the pic i put up, the rear is loaded right down and the nose up, not good at all for steering and braking. also the higher COG as well.
The rims are aussie pro comp 1069's powdercoated matte (the 7069's don't come in the cruiser stud pattern). From memory the offset is -11 i think. I have done nothing with the spacing so it still has the offset wheel track.
I really like the toyo O/C M/T's . if you look at the 2nd pic, the diagonal lug pattern really helps with keeping the road noise down. i recovered a guy from a black soil muddy riverbank a few weeks back and they ate it up. (don't ask me why he took a 2wd amarok with road tires and camper trailer down a black mud river bank) regardless, the tires performed as you would expect of a purpose mud tire. great millage to, a friend who carries literally a ton of tools permanently, gets 50'000 k's from them.

syd
Been here a while

Unread post by syd » March 14th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Nice wheels Big Blu but only rated at 996kg

Big Blu

Unread post by Big Blu » March 14th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Thanks syd
What exactly is rated at 996kg?
The car is literally empty when i tow the trailer. unfortunately there isn't much i can do at the momnet to get the draw bar weight down, (16ft car on a 16ft trailer) no room to move it around. Looking at a 18 footer to get the weight of the ute more over the axles.

They say cars are just money pits. that becomes blatantly obvious when you have a fourbie and a drag car. :whyme:
XD9000 warn drawers
2x 18 LED Great Whites

syd
Been here a while

Unread post by syd » March 15th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Hi Blu every wheel has a load rating and those Pro Comps are 996kg rated.In comparison my Speedy Territories are rated at 1400kg for strength i presume

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 15th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Hey Big Blu, if you need to quickly & easily reduce the weight on the drawbar, just put the ute on the trailer the other way around - ie, back it on!

That'll put most of the heavy stuff in the ute, ie the engine weight further back, and therefore most of the weight previously pushing down on the drawbar will be further back, levelling up the load a fair bit and probably fairly well evened out by the stuff you've got on the drawbar in that box. ;)

More'n one way to skin that particular cat! :)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Big Blu

Unread post by Big Blu » March 16th, 2014, 7:37 am

Peter
unfortunately it doesn't fit on backwards. tried that. can't tie the front down in both directions. We're looking at upgrading the trailer soon anyway. bugger the ramps, going for a kwik load 18 footer.
XD9000 warn drawers
2x 18 LED Great Whites

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 24th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Dr.Unk
Do the 255/85's scrub at all mate? I am seriously considering these over 285/75's.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » March 25th, 2014, 9:42 am

monkeybucket
Are those the 235/85/16 you were running?

LT789
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by LT789 » March 26th, 2014, 10:58 am

Here's my 76 again - for some reason I can't post anything or even login properly from my old account - "Spooky"

2010 76
2 inch lift
285 75 16 M/T ATZ P3's
ATX Slot rims
Dual battery - Baintech Isolator
Baintech rear control panel with outlets
Outback drawer system
Fridge slide with 40L Engel
Blackduck covers
ARB Bullbar and scrub bars
Beaudesert 3 inch exhaust, no muffler and stainless resonator
Manta ram-air head on factory snorkel
Chip-It chip on the way...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LT789
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by LT789 » March 26th, 2014, 11:00 am

Another shot

Return to “70 Series”