Show us your 76 Series!

Steve-P
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Show us your 76 Series!

Unread post by Steve-P » February 12th, 2014, 11:34 am

hi BTFIVO
I got my EGR plate off ebay the same one as Bencuro above has indicated follow the link. $11 delivered with instructions.
Easy install I may be mechanically inclined but I really dont like working on cars!, however, it's in and was straightforward.
If you get one and want a hand PM me and we can sort out.
Thanks for the chip contact il try this

Steve

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » February 12th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I got mine from the same bloke off ebay as well, is a very straight forward install. My car had 40thou on the clock and i didn't think the intake was very dirty at all just a thin layer of soot. I didn't even bother cleaning it.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 12th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Cheers guys,

Did any of you notice difference in operation...more response perhaps? I will be installing a EGT this week as well.

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » February 13th, 2014, 5:13 am

Only fitted mine on Monday night but no real noticeable gains. fuel econ has dropped from an average of 9.3litre per hundred to 8.9 though.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 13th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Cheers. How do you average 9.3L/100 in a 76? I get about 300klms/40L on highway use. I wish I could average 10L/100, that would be awesome. Maybe with the plate in it will get a little better. I am also going to install the 2" crossover pipe that is almost on the market to match the 3" exhaust I installed. No point in having tiny intake and big exhaust. Adds about 5kw over the rev range and probably will use a little more fuel due to better aspiration but want the efficiency for towing. More power up those hills while towing is paramount.

Not sure if I want to put a lift kit in yet as it already feels so damn top heavy. I am disappointed in the lateral stability compared to my BT-50. It was amazing on angular traverse. Does anyone who has put a lift in recommend against it?? Like will it make the top-heaviness feeling worse? Is the vehicle really "top-heavy" or just feels that way?

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » February 16th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Fuel average has now dropped to an average of 8.7 litre so the egr blank is working well.

Don't know mate, missus drives the car daily maybe she is light on the throttle. I calculated the avg once myself manually and it was around 9.3lph. This was pre egr, these latest reading are just what the scan gauge is calculating. This is with 265/75r16 AT's fitted which I think mean the avg would actually be lower? as the car is actually driving further than what the odo thinks?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 16th, 2014, 10:15 pm

I also wondered how a 76 be around 9L/100km.or less.Most I know of are no better than 12 and that is very good.

The Dmax I have runs around town at 8.7 average on the dash indicator thingo. I am certain it is more economical than a V8 which is 50% bigger engine size and also far heavier.

Are we sure it is 8.7l/100km or perhaps 8.7 km/Litre? Which is around 24mpg or slightly better ie 11.4l/100 approx and that may be achievable with little load and careful tender feet. Same as my 60 12HT with light load.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 17th, 2014, 12:00 am

Yeah, that's it, the bigger tyres will equate to better L/100 as it tricks the computer. Best way is to find out where say 40L exactly is on the fuel gauge from full, then fill the car up and zero the odometer. At the 40L used mark, note the kilometres travelled and then divide into each other.

I average about 13L/100, which is about right I think for the 4.5L, even though it's commonrail, it's also turbocharged. The 1HZ if I remember correctly averaged around 16L/100. So 13 sounds about right for a commonrail engine of similar capacity. Once I fit the plate in I will measure the fuel again in about 4 weeks post fitment to see if there is any difference. I think the 3" exhaust uses more fuel as the turbo spools up easier, and more air = more fuel, as the air/fuel mixture ratio will always be directly proportional to each other. Also I love hearing the V8 sound... :D

I've been enquiring about a KW-Systems module last week, and it sounds like a good addition to the exhaust and X-over pipe to finish the engine side off nicely. Next is the rear airbags and then look at a 2" lift if it works out okay to install one. I'm still not 100% if it will reduce the stability of the vehicle. Good only physicals says, the higher you go, the high the centre of gravity, and therefore you must go wider. But for the 76, there's only so wide you can go, especially as already fighting for the rear for stability.

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » February 17th, 2014, 7:48 am

bt50 do you have a boost gauge? You'll be very supprised how little boost these things run.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 17th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I bought the GS series Autometer Pyrometer and Boost gauges, currently fitting them now, so have them before I install the KW module. Sooooo much work to be done, but saving $$$ doing it all myself. I will hook up the caravan and haul it up a hill flat stick in stock tune to note the EGT's, then once I put the KW module in, I will know not to go over those EGT's. ECU Chips in Auckland stated that 600*c is ok to push it to, but I won't go anymore than 550 at the dump, as up at the headers it would be around 600-650*c.

So yeah, have boost gauge, just not fitted. I just purchased the KW-Systems unit today, should arrive within the next 2-3 weeks, coming from Auckland. Bloke says 20% more boost and a guaranteed 180Kw & 600Nm, which compared to what Gturbo are getting (230rwkw & 1000Nm) is quite conservative.

In NZ, the blokes are totally blanking off the EGR and removing the butterfly in the Throttle-body for more response. So due to removing the butterfly or drilling a 10mm hole in the butterfly, this allows the ECU not to throw an EGR code. Interesting though. For me, I like the engine braking, especially for towing so I'll just go ahead and install the 10mm drilled EGR plate.

bencuro
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bencuro » February 18th, 2014, 11:41 am

Gday,
Finally got around to putting the lights and switch on, painted rims and had the front suspension done.

Lights are Hella 140
Suspension is Ironman heavy duty coils ( 65mm lift ) with tough dog 41mm foam cell shocks. Was only looking for about 50mm but they assure me it will drop a little over a few months.

If anyone is looking I was really happy with the guys that did the suspension at 4x4Extras in Perth , good price for parts and install. Would have done it myself but for their install charge of $150 it was well worth it.

Noticed the other day that when the dealer cleaned the car before I picked it up they must have hammered the intercooler with a pressure hose and flattened much of grill. Not sure if I should spend all day trying to pick it all up with a skewer or just look for a second hand part. Wish I noticed before.

be good, if not be good at it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » February 23rd, 2014, 9:49 pm

Just recorded an average week of driving before going away for the weekend.

odo trip read 451kms travelled scangauge read the same.. scangauge reckens we are averaging 8.9lp100.
Last edited by monaro327 on February 25th, 2014, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 24th, 2014, 7:27 am

[quote=
Noticed the other day that when the dealer cleaned the car before I picked it up they must have hammered the intercooler with a pressure hose and flattened much of grill. Not sure if I should spend all day trying to pick it all up with a skewer or just look for a second hand part. Wish I noticed before. [/quote]

Most definitely do something to rectify the issue mate otherwise you pretty we have no intercooler. If you can find a 2nd's at a cheap price in great condition then grab it, otherwise just tyr the best you can to straighten them back up.

79dualLC
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 79dualLC » February 26th, 2014, 11:43 pm

monaro327 wrote:Just recorded an average week of driving before going away for the weekend.

odo trip read 451kms travelled scangauge read the same.. scangauge reckens we are averaging 8.9lp100.
Picked mine up from its 10,000km service to notice on the way home it was below 9l/100 on scan gauge. Because the dealer had disconnected it from the OBD plug the Scangauge has lost it's settings. Set it back up for the 4.5 V8 and it is back up to 12.8/100. Running 285/75/16R I believe it to be 13.5l/100 from the bowser. Must admit I do like the sound of the 3" so it has not helped economy at all.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm

79dualLC wrote:
monaro327 wrote:Just recorded an average week of driving before going away for the weekend.

Picked mine up from its 10,000km service to notice on the way home it was below 9l/100 on scan gauge. Because the dealer had disconnected it from the OBD plug the Scangauge has lost it's settings. Set it back up for the 4.5 V8 and it is back up to 12.8/100. Running 285/75/16R I believe it to be 13.5l/100 from the bowser. Must admit I do like the sound of the 3" so it has not helped economy at all.
Toyota has designed every part on the 1VD-FTV for fuel efficiency. As soon as we make the engine flow more for better response/power, will use more fuel. I do agree with you though, love the sound, and love that it is a long-stroke motor, plenty of torque without needing to wring its neck..!!

Return to “70 Series”