4 inch tough dog lift won't flex, any ideas?

billy147
Getting to know the place

4 inch tough dog lift won't flex, any ideas?

Unread post by billy147 » April 15th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Hi guys
I've got a 75 series ute n I got the 4 inch flex kit with the adjustble shocks n 3 inch cab lift in my ute and it's rock hard n won't flex much any ideas ??
very rough to ride in
581411_10150644350856631_576451630_9634194_1380617452_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 4 inch tough dog lift won't flex, any ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 16th, 2012, 9:11 pm

If the ride is that hard it's most likely cos the springs etc are biased towards carrying heavy loads, and you just don't have a heavy enough load on it so it just isn't going to flex! While loading it up some more will make it work a 'little' better, that's not gonna be the greatest idea for a whole lot of other reasons and when it comes to the crunch, heavy duty leaves that can carry loads may not ever give you much more flex, that usually takes a whole different leaf design & pack compilation.

The only things you can do to get better flex is either remove one or more leaves from each spring pack to reduce their stiffness/load carrying ability (& hope you don't lose any height & that you do gain flex - & that's not entirely guaranteed) or toss those springs entirely & get spring packs that are the same height but rated for lighter loads & more flex (& then hope they don't sag over time or under heavy loads.)

Do you carry heavy loads often? Are heavy duty leaf packs essential to you at any time?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hulsty
Part of the furniture

Unread post by hulsty » April 17th, 2012, 8:41 am

Are the shocks the right lenth? Flex it up and check if the shocks are the right length. Springs might also be the wrong length and have nothing left to give. As above spring rates and shackle angles might be totally wrong and not want to move it all. Are you trying to carry big loads too? It might take a bit of mixing and matching to get good flex, but it can be done.

billy147

Unread post by billy147 » April 17th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Thanks ..
Don't really carry big loads only camping gear ect..
I have hardly used the suspension as I put it in the truck n crashed n only just got back on the road
The kit was about 4000 n it's a 4inch flex kit n I got the proper shocks for the kit
Should I take sway bars off ??
Thanks

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » April 17th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Take the extended shakles off and put the stock ones back on. That will correct your shakle angle to start with and let your springs actually do something. How do you pay $4000 for a suspension kit?????
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 17th, 2012, 8:39 pm

The sway bars won't have anything at all to do with the ride being hard, and they probly won't have a heap to do with the lack of flex if they are standard sway bars. You will need to keep them on to remain roadworthy, but once off road disconnecting them isn't an issue, altho you probly won't get a heap more flex from what you are describing.

Shocker rates don't actually have a heap of impact on Heavy Duty leaf spring flexing, but shock length certainly can, as can extended shackles/wrong shackle angles/incorrect spring lengths - but I still think your main problem is simply going to be spring rates, you've just got spring leaf packs that are way too heavy for what you are carrying - a common mistake made by many 4WD'ers where they mistakenly equate Heavy Duty & 4" Lift with meaning 'massive extra flex', and it just ain't so!

Question, when then lift went in, did they extend the bump stops too??

If the suspension cost that much then maybe your best bet would be to sell the whole lot for whatever you can get for it and use the proceeds to get a proper 'flexy' suspension that's been designed & put together to suit YOUR articulation & load carrying needs, one that isn't ott 'heavy duty' or even necessarily all that big a lift - lift height only needs to be big enough to fit whatever size wheels you want to run and allow for their articulation. Lift size needs to be matched to the wheel size & bump stop length, even with a big lift you can fit too big a wheel so that to stop the wheels hitting things the bump stops need to be extended so much that you actually end up with LESS articulation than a stock suspension.

Oh, and don't forget it usually takes a fair bit more effort (& expense/attention to getting everything right) to make a leaf sprung suspension flex/ride like a coil suspension will/can. ;)

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

maddog_75
Avid Poster

Unread post by maddog_75 » April 18th, 2012, 12:13 am

wait, did you say 3" cab lift? as in 3" body lift???

and is this this kit you bought?
http://store.snakeracing.com.au/~snaker ... 725d7db14b

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » April 19th, 2012, 6:25 am

the general replys have been the springs are to stiff,

I have had cruiser utes for 15years now, lots of people say they are a great 4wd,

I say in some ways they are not really, they dont have good suspension flex so lift wheels easy, thats what lockers are for!!

But you can get good heavy springs for them, put a heap of stuff in the back, like boats, bikes heaps of fuel etc, one tonne plus comfortably and do extended trips.

turning a 75 into a good flexing unit, while empty, will require some specific setting up, as has been suggested, but then wont carry a decent load if required.

its all a compromise

billy147

Unread post by billy147 » April 19th, 2012, 8:25 pm

yeh thanks boys .
yeh thats the kit i got there...
yeh n i got 3 inch cab lift

think im going to take the load springs out n see how i go .
i get some more picks up

maddog_75
Avid Poster

Unread post by maddog_75 » April 19th, 2012, 8:29 pm

got pics of the bullbar lift? just wanted to see what different people do...

lynch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by lynch » May 14th, 2012, 9:24 pm

$4000 !!!!!! wtf

i run just over 2 inch of lift with some other tampering and fit 35s flexs alright too

lynch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by lynch » May 14th, 2012, 9:27 pm

also who sprayed your car billy?

Gunsmoke
Been here a while

Unread post by Gunsmoke » May 15th, 2012, 9:54 pm

I have to agree 100% with Bala as I have owned utes for some 25 years.
Tell me how many leaves you have in the fron and back please.

Gunsmoke
Been here a while

Unread post by Gunsmoke » May 15th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Hey Lynch, you have set yours up perfectly by the look. Not many utes can go bendy like that !
Well done mate.
Ahh on a closer look....you cheated !! I see the disconnects LOL.

Sn0wy999
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Sn0wy999 » May 19th, 2019, 11:14 am

lynch wrote:
May 14th, 2012, 9:24 pm
$4000 !!!!!! wtf

i run just over 2 inch of lift with some other tampering and fit 35s flexs alright too
Are Revolver Shackles illegal in Qld?? How do you find them on and off the road? Thinking about using them in my 75

Return to “70 Series”