04 V6 1GR-FE Engine Issue- Clacking all of a sudden!!!

KRH
I'm new, be nice!

04 V6 1GR-FE Engine Issue- Clacking all of a sudden!!!

Unread post by KRH » March 20th, 2016, 1:35 pm

After owning our 2004 120 series GXL Prado V6 4ltre manual for a couple of years (now with 165k on the clock) and it performing superbly with such a smooth and quiet engine with heaps of torque, this terrible clacking noise appeared yesterday on start up and wont go away.

I have serviced this engine since ownership and always fussy with maintenance. Last oil change 3mths ago and still clear and never uses any oil (full synthetic correct spec) pulled the plugs (iridium) and always clean. Airflow sensor cleaned with electrical contact spray cleaner. New air-filter at last service. etc etc

Owning 80's V8 Mercs with overhead cams and followers etc I am familiar with overhead cams and followers and buckets (shims) that direct drive the valve from the cam lobe.

However this loud clacking noise appeared all of a sudden (like a valve stuck open that is not closing properly or maybe a failed valve spring)

Here is a youtube video i just uploaded so you can hear yourself from what was up until yesterday a previous quiet running engine when the bonnet was open.

I am confident to work on this engine and have downloaded a PDF file on adjusting the valve gaps via measuring the shim gap to cam lobe when cold and the procedure to do this and then replacing the bucket (follower) with a correct thickness one, but this sudden appearance of this noise on a start up sounds worse than that!!!

Any input and help most appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II07Jid ... e=youtu.be

Cheers Kim

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 04 V6 1GR-FE Engine Issue- Clacking all of a sudden!!!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 20th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Does the clacking change with increased revs or remain constant??

If it changes with revs (ie, gets faster as revs increase) then it's likely to be something to do with the valve train or injectors (altho it's a bit quiet for injector knock in my experience) I guess it could be also something to do with the IP internals or worse, the head/cooling system - maybe you could try using a mechanic's stethoscope to more closely identify where the noise is coming from?? If you don't have one/can't get one from your local AutoPro or similar, you could try using a long handled screw driver - touch the blade on suspect items or areas in turn, while you are loosely holding the handle to your ear (or firmly against the mastoid bone behind your ear) That should make the noise stand out when you touch where it's coming from - and is generally a handy diagnostic tool.

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

KRH
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by KRH » March 20th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Yes in in the video i attached i got my foot back in the cabin to increase the revs and yes the clacking also gets faster.
And yes i do have a very good mechanics stethoscope but placing it just about anywhere the noise is very audible.

Doing more checks today i found my coolant had dropped (needed about 5litres in the radiator) so now i worried the engine has overheated when my wife drove it in traffic to work on friday as she said it felt a bit odd coming home in the afternoon and had a strange smell. I am now concerned the engine may have been overheated!!!
She said no lights came up on the dash and none when i test drove it yesterday

I have heard of stories of the variable intake making strange noises and also the leaking exhaust manifolds but this just seems too loud.

KRH
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by KRH » March 20th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Worked out today its stuffed - overheated and blown a head gasket

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 20th, 2016, 6:29 pm

you getting any bubbles in the coolant?, engine shaking around more than usual? could be head gasket/ crack or even a cracked piston/ring.. The fact that it started suddenly is a bad omen for sure.

you must have been posting at the same time. . wondered why I couldn't post. . glad you found the problem, but now its the costs of fixing. . . :whyme:

KRH
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by KRH » March 20th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Yes my wife is in the RAC so i thought why not call them out as its free.
Nice guy and he is very familiar with these engines.
Yes it presurising the radiator and has definately blown a head gasket.
When i topped it up with coolant and went to start it found it would not start and that confirmed bad news which the RAC guy also confirmed.
Reconditioning quad cam engines would not be a cheap exercise.
I have the skills to pull the heads but such a time consuming process as have not tackled these engine before.
Not sure what direction to take, or if easier to just pull the engine out first and get it onto an engine stand as hate working in engine bays especially on a 4WD.
I am really peeved off ( i think the radiator coolant must have dropped far enough so the thermo was not reading correctly as my wife could not recall the temp gauge bouncing up into the danger zone and nor could i)

But that noise confirmed something was amiss

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 21st, 2016, 6:18 pm

Yes alloy head engines are notorious for being sensitive to overheating. you can actually buy a water level guage which fits in the radiator to warn of low coolant level

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » November 22nd, 2017, 8:26 am

Japanese import engine? Might be cheaper than a rebuild. Certainly would be easier.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Prado”