Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Nemesis
Admin

Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by Nemesis » September 12th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally started as a research topic years ago in the utes sections, the tyre topics are so popular it's time to start an new info archive in each sub section, not just for the ute people!

What we want is a collective tried and tested database of info on what works for your model fourby. No hearsay!

So, if you have upgraded your tyre size, let us know what had to be done and whether there is any or no scrubbing. What year/model, how much suspension lift, body lift, wheel off set, guard cutting/massaging, gear changes etc? You get the drift.

Fire away and feel free to post supporting pictures!
Nemesis 3 - Turbo FZJ105 Cruiser. Live Axles & Grunt = See Ya!

SamOrrick
I'm new, be nice!

What wheels fit a 99 RV?

Unread post by SamOrrick » January 18th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Hi guys, new to the prado world but just acquired a 1999 2.7L RV, plenty of ams on it (320,00).

Sorry for the simple question but I was wondering what wheels fit the prados? When i looked in the forum (which I am admittedly poor at searching through) some said hilux wheels etc, others said they don't work due to the centre bore size.

I was hoping to throw a set of 265/75s on it, what offset will i need? and will i need a lift? Seems there is a fair bit of space under the arches for an extra little bit of size.

Thanks guys.

hilly83
Getting to know the place

Biggest tire size on stock prado ??

Unread post by hilly83 » April 28th, 2015, 1:01 pm

G'day guys n gals, I have a question about the absolute largest tire size I can go without too many probs on my stock (no lift) 04 vx prado ?
I'm planning on puttin a two inch lift on her shortly after buying tires and the reason I'm doin wrong way around is simply.. I need tires first their past wear tag.
It's also doin my head in as to what brand I'm gonna go with, they will be run 50% on rd and 50 off. Probably steering towards the cooper st max but any advice or insight would be much appreciated.. Cheers

silverunner
Getting to know the place

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by silverunner » September 17th, 2015, 3:26 pm

120 PRADO

265/70's fit without lift. With 2inch lift they just touch the chassis on full lock but not enough to worry about. I'm not sure if they touched without lift, i installed my lift a few weeks after tyres and didn't notice before. Any wider on stock rims will touch the upper control arm. Aftermarket control arms give better clearance. Or need to change rim offset.

92 4Runner lift, 33's - SOLD
2008 D4D GXL Prado - Work in progress

Poppy78
I'm new, be nice!

2012 Prado 150 - Tyres and rims

Unread post by Poppy78 » January 15th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Hey guys ive got a 2012 prado 150 altitude and im looking at putting a new set of rubber and rims on it,
just wondering whats the biggest rubber and rim that would fit on it.
it will have a 2" lift kit on it if that makes any difference and i will be getting muddy's

Cheers...

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Tyres and rims

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 16th, 2016, 5:49 am

Poppy, hopefully a few Prado owners will pop up and give some advice.

I just wanted to ensure you're aware than increasing tyre / rim sizing will affect economy (increased useage), reduced low range performance (especially uphill), and these are progressively worse as you get larger in rolling diameter.

Also, too much rolling dia increase combined with lift might push you into illegal status, which could attract attention / defect, or worse in the event of an accident void insurance cover.

Sometimes a 2" lift with mild increase in rolling dia is best, maybe 1" to 1-1/2" increase (which provides real extra 1/2" - 3/4" clearance, better approach / departure / ramp over).

Just in case you hadn't thought of these factors.

Snapcatcher
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Snapcatcher » January 16th, 2016, 9:43 am

Unless your vehicle is under-powered you shouldnt really notice the effect of a small tyre increase. Yes it will use slightly more fuel and your speedo will be slightly out.

So im guessing you prob running he stock size now, 265/65 R17 ?

I'd be sticking with 17 inch rims. Any bigger and you'll seriously limit your choice of tyres.

Tyre options could be 265/70/17 for 1 inch increase in rolling diameter, or

285/70/17 for a 2 inch increase in rolling diameter. However I dont know Prados so cant comment for sure if these will fit. I'd guess they would fit no worries with the lift but I'd check with other prado owners, or ask the tyre shop guys. I dont think you'd want to go any bigger than this.

2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8, Sahara bar, Runva winch, 2' lift on 33' KM2s

Written off - NM Pajero on 33's and some other good bits
Build thread - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79366

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 16th, 2016, 11:20 am

Les - PK Ranger wrote:reduced low range performance (especially uphill)
Crikey, I MEANT to say downhill more important, as you get increased 'runaway' using gears to idle down, with little or no braking, which is very important for control and safety.

I feel going up 1" to 1-1/2" or so is reasonable, and the effect negligible, some vehicles though don't like much increase, depends on normal power, econ, gearing etc.

Return to “Prado”