Prado 120 Grande Suspension Lift

1coolbanana
Getting to know the place

Prado 120 Grande Suspension Lift

Unread post by 1coolbanana » April 10th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Hi all
Ive done a search and couldnt find anything on the subject so apologies if Ive missed it and this is doubling up.
I bought a 2003 Grande yesterday with 100k but wont be picking up until next Saturday.
Its pretty stock at the moment but that will change soon.

My issue at the moment is what to do for a suspension lift, especially at the front thats looks a bit saggy.
Its got all the bells and whistles, like rear air suspension, ride height adjust, ride control etc, etc.
So what are the options?
Ive read that to keep any of that functionality theres isnt a lot you can do, other than maybe a Front Coil Strut Spacer Kit and new springs and jack the back end up to the high position.

OR, rip the lot out, lose the functionality and go to a conventional lift kit?????

Any help and advice on options would be appreciated.

Cheers

1coolbanana

Re: Prado 120 Grande Suspension Lift

Unread post by 1coolbanana » April 24th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Ok, well so far ive found 3 places around Sydney that will do a Prado Grande 2" lift.
All of these set ups work with the rear ride height adjust and auto levelling on the Grande.
The brief has been a 2" lift and maintaining an everyday level of comfort similar to factory or better.

Ultimate Suspension using:

Their own AUS Monotube Shocks, struts and coils springs
Airbagman rear ON-AIR replace and lift bag system
Includes wheel alignment

Approx $2300 :eek:

Total Traction who has an installer in Sydney:

Bilstein struts and rear shocks, springs (not sure)
Includes wheel alignment

Approx $2300 :eek:

4WD1

Tough Dog 40mm bore externally ride-adjustable front struts
Tough Dog 40mm bore externally ride-adjustable rear shocks
Tough Dog 40mm lift front coil springs

$2780 :eek: :( :eek: :eek: :eek:

They are all a filthy amount of money so I would really appreciate any feedback from anybody using any of these setups and or had dealings with any of these shops.

I didnt realise the Tough Dogs were in the high end of the suspension market but according to 4WD1 who sells quite a few different brands they are one of the best????

Cheers
Marc

Growler
Here and there

Unread post by Growler » May 3rd, 2011, 11:31 am

Have a look at tjm xgs gold 2" lift just did it in wifeys prado although not grande but was around $1500

1coolbanana

Unread post by 1coolbanana » May 4th, 2011, 6:36 pm

I went and saw them last Saturday and they wont touch the Grande.
Oh, they'll sell me whatever parts I want but wont fit them :crazy:
They seem to be all scared of a few "fancy doodads" like airbags and self levelling!!!
Its not rocket science and they agree, but "its not supported by TJM" so they dont want to touch it.

At this stage, I think I will be buying all the parts and just do it myself I reckon, its an easy job, cant believe so many wont do it and the rest want your first born or their choice of gear is not what I want :mad:

I can buy all the parts from Superior Engineering including air bags, thats two struts, two coils, two rear shocks and the whole airbag kit for under $1700 which is the exact same setup that 4WD1 quoted me $2780 on (except they added another $1100 for fitting which is, well you make up your own mind) so that may be the way to go - do it myself, or more to the point, what choice have I got???

YBHVE4
Been here a while

Unread post by YBHVE4 » July 11th, 2011, 8:50 pm

sorry if this is a dumb question but whats the grande got that the gxl hasnt to make it so expensive to lift?

reason im asking is i maybe selling my 105 landcruiser for a 120 prado so may steer away from grande if its costly.

cheers

1coolbanana

Unread post by 1coolbanana » July 11th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Its supposedly costly because it has airbag suspension, electronic ride control on the shocks.
But in reality its all bull and for some reason most of the dealers/fitter want to shaft you and tell you either you cant do it or its very complicated and have to charge extra, neither of which are true.
I was sick of all these sleazebags trying to rip me off and had to go and get all the facts for myself.

After a lot of research and experimenting Ive done a Tough Dog adjustable lift to my Grande.
Easy as, total cost of $1400 and Im vey happy.

Awesome setup and actually cheaper than the standard version because I didnt need rear springs, the OEM air bags work great and the auto leveling still works a treat .
VERY impressed with this setup, as good if not better than anything else for the Prado and the adjustability works brilliantly.

If you want more info or a link to my build thread, just PM me.

Cheers
Marc

Here you go, my Grande that Ive just done

Adam Bauman
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Adam Bauman » November 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Hi there Adam from Western Australia

I have a 03 Prado but not a grande.
I recently upgraded the suspension all round.
On the front i installed EFS struts 50mm lift and king springs
On the rear i installed EFS shocks and king springs 50mm lift.

The combination works well very happy and extremely smooth on the road and off road.
Thanks

daniel308
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by daniel308 » October 4th, 2015, 1:07 pm

@1coolbanana - I am guessing that you dont have the prado anymore but how did the lift go over time.
I have got one and I am having the same issue trying to find some one that will do the same job.

dan

Return to “Prado”