surf as a first car

tree101
Here and there

surf as a first car

Unread post by tree101 » September 29th, 2014, 1:29 pm

So im currently on my learners and am looking at cars for when I go on my p's. The car I really want is a landcruiser but they all have preety crap condition for in the $5000 price range. After looking I found the surf which I like the look of but I was wondering some things about them.

Firstly how much smaller is the surf then a base 80's series landcruiser, also how much space is in the boot area

Secondly how reliable are they as my local rover crew plan on doing a trip to the cape so im unsure wether it will be able to handle it.

Thirdly, can you put long range fuel tanks in it or a second tank. While at that could you put a water tank under it

Would it be able to tow an average sized boat

Finnaly are then any alternatives to this vechile

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: surf as a first car

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » September 29th, 2014, 1:39 pm

They are smaller inside then an 80, but they are bigger then a disco (for a landrover comparison). Remember they are based of the hilux, and can be solid trucks. (smaller rear overhang and heaps better visability then a hilux.)

What model is it? There are a number of different engine combinations with different known problems.

I had a 2L-TE engine in mine LN130 (i think) and they were known for blowing head gaskets, but I never had a problem. Just kept up the radiator maintenance!

They are "toyota" reliable not quite "landcruiser" reliable. :)

Whats an average sized boat? 3m tinnie, or a 5m console it will tow, but as you get bigger it will start to get unhappy.

Rough comparisons are the disco, the nissan pathfinder, basically any other mid sized wagon.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

tree101
Here and there

Unread post by tree101 » September 29th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Well the engine will either be the 3.0L turbo deisel or the 2.4L turbo deisel. They would be either the 130 or 180 (im trying to getting what I can of wikipedia so I apolagise if im wrong.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » September 29th, 2014, 2:31 pm

The 2L-TE is the 2.4 TD. Dont be blinded though it drives more like an old diesel then a modern turbo diesel.

The 3.0L I think is the K series diesel engine, again the same as the hilux and this is the pick of the diesel engines. but they are more expensive.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

tree101
Here and there

Unread post by tree101 » September 29th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Ok so I had a look at carsales.com and the only car that I found that was simmarly powered and looks good to me was the jackaroo soo how is the jackaroo vs the surf.

So far what ive found so far from looking at whats for sale, there are alot more manual jackaroo's for sale then manual surfs.

Robbo1993
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Robbo1993 » September 25th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Mate I bought a 94 surf as a first car and it was great.
The only problem I had was the auto playing up and over revving every gear.
But apart from that it was a very capable car and I'd have another given the chance.

skintguy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by skintguy » September 30th, 2015, 9:51 pm

I've had a surf for the past 7 yrs, I've had a few issues with it, but then you would any make of vehicle...
Mine's a 1989 and being mechanically minded, I've been able to fix her, at very little cost, It has been a big learning curve and I'm still not out of my apprenticeship. I will add that she has always got me home.
If your thinking of towing, the 2.4's will cope with a small trailer over sand...there so under powered and over heat easily in the soft stuff, not sure on the 3.0L I understand that the auto's tend to overheat too...but I think a lot of that may be down to poor cooling maintenance

tree101
Here and there

Unread post by tree101 » March 1st, 2016, 10:43 pm

ha, totally forgot about this. as an update i ended up with a '94 4runner, the previous owner had removed the 2.4 and replaced it with a commodore motor sadly, but she goes hard and well, but sadly im already looking at getting rid of her, too many major issues about to come up that i cant really afford while at uni. itll be sad to see her go, even with the petrol motor is a great car and can handle anything

Return to “Surf”