3.0 ltr td surf - how many kms are they good for?

mitch_ebrill96
I'm new, be nice!

3.0 ltr td surf - how many kms are they good for?

Unread post by mitch_ebrill96 » January 10th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Looking at buying a TD 3ltr surf and building her into a beast, how many km's do they go to until they ***** themselves and what parts should i look a replacing after buying it, also any other things people wanna throw out there for me as well. Everything will be appreciated! :truck:

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: 3.0 ltr td surf - how many kms are they good for?

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 10th, 2014, 6:39 pm

The life of a vehicle depends on too many factors. These are not a bad engine, but they did have overheating issues.

More important than the km is how the vehicle has been treated - 100k clocked up doing 2km trips 5 times a day is going to be a lot worse than 200k of highway kms

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 10th, 2014, 7:43 pm

2km x 5 times a day the starter will be RS. With the 200k unit the starter will be a bit dry but ok.

mitch_ebrill96
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mitch_ebrill96 » January 11th, 2014, 12:25 pm

What ways can I keep the engine cool? Top mount intercooler with scoop?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 11th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Mitch
if you fit an intercooler it will help the engine by giving cooler air to the intake and possibly lower EGT levels a bit.
If you have a bonnet scoop it may give the IC some air but it may begin to pressurize the engine bay and since the engine water cooling airflow is through the radiator, the scoop pressure might reduce the cooling through the radiator a bit and cause overheating.
It's sometimes a fine balance of scoop flow and air through rad flow so all works well. You may have to add an underbody air deflector to cause a partial vacuum below the engine bay so flow is restored through the engine bay. It's a bit hard to tell what flows will happen and often a bit of trial and error has to be done. In the factory it's called R&D.

mitch_ebrill96
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by mitch_ebrill96 » January 11th, 2014, 6:39 pm

What about installing a snorkel to get cleaner airflow? So the surf would be a good 4wd? I'm planning on running 33's and 4'' lift, how many km's would i be getting from a tank?

Return to “Surf”