93 Surf - is the 3ltr motor the same as Hilux mtr?

Calyx_D21
Been here a while

93 Surf - is the 3ltr motor the same as Hilux mtr?

Unread post by Calyx_D21 » April 28th, 2013, 9:48 pm

93 Toyota surf help
Hey guys and gals, been ages since I've made a post on here but i need some help, I'm looking at a 93 surf with a 3ltr TD in it, now I've been told to be careful as some of them had dodgey American motors, so my question is, is the 3ltr in this surf a good old hilux motor and will I get parts for it, or are there other 3ltrs in them?

Cheers!!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/latrobe/ ... 1013631574

Sorry if I sound dumb I no nothing Bout Surfs!

runsonrum
Been here a while

Re: 93 Surf - is the 3ltr motor the same as Hilux mtr?

Unread post by runsonrum » May 29th, 2013, 8:16 am

93 on surfs with the 3 litre motor were a 1KZ-TE. These are the same motor as KZN165 series hiluxes and are quite a good motor, much better than the 2.4 2L-TE, which is probably the engine they are referring to when they say "dodgy american" motor as the 2L-te can be somewhat unreliable if not religiously serviced, and driven carefully

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » May 29th, 2013, 8:22 am

There are some minor differences between the early Surf 1KZ and the later aussie Hilux / Prado 1KZ. They use a slightly different head - something to do with the height of the head and length of the valves?
Where the 'American' bit came from, I have no idea.
Nothing wrong with the 2LTE runsonrum, they are a very good and reliable little engine, If as you say, they have been looked after. They are just a bit slow and underpowered if you wish to tow.
If you fail to look after any engine it will quickly become unreliable.....
Cheers, Dan.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » May 29th, 2013, 11:10 am

The 2L-TE engine is a prick of an engine, constant head gasket/head cracking problems! The tyota 3L is the 2.8L engine and that engine is fantastic!
Even in well serviced engines the 2L-TE is a prick!

Avoid the 2L-TE like the plague!

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » May 29th, 2013, 11:34 am

^^

Hahahaha. Someone got burnt!

Dunxy
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dunxy » August 25th, 2014, 3:33 pm

I know this is thread old, but information is relevant.
Main problem with the 2L-TE is the TEMP GAUGE CALIBRATION! Owners who have fitted aftermarket temp sensors have discovered the engine is running @ 113c when the needle is in the middle of the temp gauge, FAR from the red.You drive this car above mid of gauge and you WILL crack the head because you are cooking it.

Stock cooling is a little inadequate. but if you use decent coolant and don't load it up too much in top gear going up hills (which pushes the EGT up WAY too high and is why the from memory, the owners manual specifically states not to go up steepish hills or tow with OD engaged) you will be fine.

There was issues with head (or maybe it was just the gasket i heard..) but the MAIN issues is this stupid temp guage!

Mine had a reco head and decent radiator fitted at around 100,000k's, its now done well over 400,000!

Little bit of knowledge about these cars and how they work makes a lot of difference.The temp gauge can easily be fixed but not needed if you take into consideration how inaccurate it is.Mine NEVER gets to the middle, even crawling up rutted hills on 40c days!

My only real complaint is they simply don't make quite enough power,the reliability problems are more down to owner ignorance/negligence than severe problems with the motors themselves.You can find great real world data on these motors (backing up exactly what im saying) from people who go to the effort to fit aftermarket temp gauges for both engine and EGT(aka pyro).

You can blame toyota for the temp gauge, but owners not RTFM towing/hill climbing with od engaged are the no1 reason the heads fail,EXACTLY what caused the failure of the factory head in mine, previous owner towing boat with od engaged up a hill.If you look after cooling system and drive it like the manual says, you wouldn't even need to worry about looking at the temp gauge as they will not overheat.

Just my 2c

Return to “Surf”