SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Rattling Surf

Unread post by SurfingAnt » November 21st, 2010, 3:06 pm

Hey guys just thought I'd share some photos with you
I think I may have found the cause of my noise :thumb:
Surf shim 002.JPG
What remains of no 4 exhaust valve shim :eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 Surf, 2" lift, Safari snorkel, dual battery kit, Nitestalker spotties, steelies and 31" Pirelli's, UHF, 2.5" exhaust and 12 PSI boost, 3L camshaft and head.

Woodbutcher
Been here a while

Re: Rattling Surf

Unread post by Woodbutcher » December 1st, 2010, 7:37 pm

I'd say that hes got another 40K left in it yet LOL

highoctane
Avid Poster

Unread post by highoctane » January 21st, 2011, 10:16 pm

howd you track it down to that? when was ir rattling?

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » February 2nd, 2011, 5:11 pm

G'day highoctane sorry haven't been here in a while, mate she was rattling for quite some time probably going on 12 months or so. It started not long after I did the head but for a while I just put it down to the manifold leaking again from where I had removed the EGR. After eliminating that I pulled the rocker cover off but being in a hurry and with everything looking OK I just put it back together for another day, eventually got sick of it and it was find it or burn it so I got in there with a magnet and that's what I pulled out along with various other bits of metal from the bucket that was supposed to be holding it in. thankfully the cam didn't suffer much damage with only a very slight groove in the lobe and she's been running like train ever since. :thumb:
1992 Surf, 2" lift, Safari snorkel, dual battery kit, Nitestalker spotties, steelies and 31" Pirelli's, UHF, 2.5" exhaust and 12 PSI boost, 3L camshaft and head.

highoctane
Avid Poster

Unread post by highoctane » February 2nd, 2011, 6:44 pm

did it rattle at certain revs or over the whole rev range?

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » February 2nd, 2011, 8:46 pm

Nah mate the whole rev range from idle up. I had a fair idea it wasn't bottom end as it never got any better or worse it was just constant.

Return to “Surf”