2L-TE Radiator. Want to Upgrade to more effeciant hilux one?

messyjeff
Here and there

2L-TE Radiator. Want to Upgrade to more effeciant hilux one?

Unread post by messyjeff » November 13th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Hello my friends...
Listen ive heard a bit of talk about the sometimes heating issues of my beloved surf. looking into a proper temp gauge and im thinking of upgrading or changing the radiator, or fans on my 2L-TE but have no idea on where to start. im quite mechanically minded so me and the old boy could probley do what ever needs doing And before i walk into natrad or somewhere similar and get some jaw dropping uninspriring quote for them to change my radiator to something better, id thought id poke aroung online...
Ive heard there are hilux models that use better radiators or that can be used in my surf? has anybody done one? anybody know anything further?

Woodbutcher
Been here a while

Re: 2L-TE Radiator. Want to Upgrade to more effeciant hilux

Unread post by Woodbutcher » November 14th, 2010, 7:02 am

Hey mate have a look around the surf site all the info you need is there
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/inde ... 14c6ff5145

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » November 14th, 2010, 11:09 am

Just stick a 2.8L manual radiator in it and if you have an auto use an external auto cooler, while you're at it replace either the viscous coupling fluid or even better the whole unit and put a 10 blade fan from a 5LE on it and replace the thermostat with an 82 degree one if you havn't already. Do that and as long as you're water pump is fine and the water galleries aint blocked up and you treat it nicely she won't overheat mate :thumb:
1992 Surf, 2" lift, Safari snorkel, dual battery kit, Nitestalker spotties, steelies and 31" Pirelli's, UHF, 2.5" exhaust and 12 PSI boost, 3L camshaft and head.

messyjeff
Here and there

Unread post by messyjeff » November 14th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Would i need to worry about a radiator swap if i just installed an intercooler? Seems a tad easyier???

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » November 14th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Intercooler isn't really going to help much if your radiator is stuffed. I/C is for cooling the intake air not engine coolant, unfortunately there is no quick or cheap fix for the cooling systems in these things, you really need to make sure that everything is spot on with the cooling. One thing you need to be aware of also is the 2L-TE is in essence just a 2L with a turbo strapped on to the side and it was never designed for forced induction. I've done everything possible with mine bar going to an alloy rad. and I still dread long hills because I know it's going to get hot but I've learnt to drive accordingly and I'm confidant it won't overheat. So get your cooling system and everything that goes along with it done and then start thinking about an I/C and upping the boost a touch otherwise you could end up with a much bigger bill.
1992 Surf, 2" lift, Safari snorkel, dual battery kit, Nitestalker spotties, steelies and 31" Pirelli's, UHF, 2.5" exhaust and 12 PSI boost, 3L camshaft and head.

Mr DJ
Avid Poster

Unread post by Mr DJ » November 21st, 2010, 11:46 pm

SurfingAnt wrote:One thing you need to be aware of also is the 2L-TE is in essence just a 2L with a turbo strapped on to the side and it was never designed for forced induction.
The 2LT-E actually was designed for forced induction as they have lower compression & different composition pistons (apparently) from factory ;)
100% agree with the cooling system being in excellent condition & regular maintainance being the key to trouble free times.
I ran the stock rad setup (with auto cooler in bottom) with aux. trans cooler running 11-12psi boost for years, has origonal head and is in another vehicle still going strong.

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » November 22nd, 2010, 4:57 pm

Mr DJ wrote:
SurfingAnt wrote:One thing you need to be aware of also is the 2L-TE is in essence just a 2L with a turbo strapped on to the side and it was never designed for forced induction.
The 2LT-E actually was designed for forced induction as they have lower compression & different composition pistons (apparently) from factory ;)

I am aware of the pistons and compression Mr DJ, was more leaning to the cooling systems with that comment, I mean you've seen the Surf forum and all the posts you see on that are a problem of some sort, I just can't help but think that if Toyota had of put more effort into R&D then we wouldn't be having all these problems. Am I expecting too much from a manufacturer :confused:
BTW a little OT but I noticed you said your engine was in something else now, what have you got in your's? 1UZ?

Woodbutcher
Been here a while

Unread post by Woodbutcher » November 23rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

SurfingAnt wrote:BTW a little OT but I noticed you said your engine was in something else now, what have you got in your's? 1UZ?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47757

SurfingAnt
Been here a while

Unread post by SurfingAnt » November 23rd, 2010, 10:41 pm

Thanks woodbutcher I'll have a good read of that when time permits :thumb:

Return to “Surf”