2.4LTE & Cracked cylinder head, need info

Tygra
Getting to know the place

2.4LTE & Cracked cylinder head, need info

Unread post by Tygra » October 27th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'd like some info about the cracked cylinder head problems
Apparently you can avoid cracked cylinders with new fan hubs, thermostat or radiator caps so =>

What would be the cost of a new fan hub / or a new thermostat / or radiator cap ?

Where are the coolent hoses in the engine ? (sorry i'm not very mechanical-minded)

If i go to a random garage, whats the price for a compression test ?

Additional question: what is the most likely engine to be having a cracked cylinder head, 2.4LT or 2.4LTE ?

What is the difference between a SSR-G and a SSR LTD ? (not in details, just generally speaking)

Sorry if these are stupid questions, and I'm sure I could find the answers if I went through the whole forum but I really need to be sure about this because I'm visiting a 1991, 200.000kms, 2.4 LTE SSR-LTD Surf tomorrow so I really need this info

Thansk a lot !

Cheers
Hey thanks for your response.

So what would be the cost of a new fan hub / or a new thermostat / or radiator cap ?

Where are the coolent hoses in the engine ? (sorry i'm not very mechanical-minded)

Additional question: what is the most likely engine to be having a cracked cylinder head, 2.4LT or 2.4LTE ?

What is the difference between a SSR-G and a SSR LTD ? (not in details, just generally speaking)

Sorry if these are stupid questions, and I'm sure I could find the answers if I went through the whole forum but I really need to be sure about this because I'm visiting a 1991, 200.000kms, 2.4 LTE SSR-LTD Surf tomorrow so I really need this info

Thansk a lot !

Cheers

Woodbutcher
Been here a while

Re: 2.4LTE & Cracked cylinder head, need info

Unread post by Woodbutcher » October 29th, 2010, 5:04 pm

mate have a look through here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/inde ... 14c6ff5145 and all your questions will be answered but in general the 2.4 has a habbit at cracking the head so a good raidiator lower temp thermostat and a good qaulity aftermarket temp gauge as the factory one is useless all will be ok.
when you look at the car check to see if there is coolant in the raidiator if no coolant don't touch it as it could have the head chemiwelded up and if you run coolant with chemiweld it will break it down over about 4 months and all symtoms will return. also when looking at it take the cap off and let it warm up till the thermostat opens (you will see the coolant start to move) and check for any bubbles

taniagirl
Been here a while

Re: 2.4LTE & Cracked cylinder head, need info

Unread post by taniagirl » December 21st, 2010, 10:17 pm

Tygra wrote:Hi everyone, I'd like some info about the cracked cylinder head problems
Apparently you can avoid cracked cylinders with new fan hubs, thermostat or radiator caps so =>

What would be the cost of a new fan hub / or a new thermostat / or radiator cap ?

Thansk a lot !

Cheers
Hey thanks for your response.

So what would be the cost of a new fan hub / or a new thermostat / or radiator cap ?

Thansk a lot !

Cheers

A very good way to check if the head has a problem is check for oil seepage from the inlet manifold gasket on number 1

Return to “Surf”