Will the Surf Wheel Carrier fit '90 4-Runner?

ezzy
Here and there

Will the Surf Wheel Carrier fit '90 4-Runner?

Unread post by ezzy » April 5th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Hey guys just wanna know if the spare wheel carrier that comes standard (i think) on Surfs will fit onto a 1990 4-runner.
im running 265/75MT's on 16'' 6 stud rims, so would that rim/tyre combo fit onto the wheel carrier?

i just dont have the spare $ to get one made or a commercially available one like a Kaymar, and ive seen a few of those carriers while ive been at the wreckers

Azriel
Been here a while

Unread post by Azriel » April 5th, 2010, 6:22 pm

I dont know for sure but i think you will need the surf tailgate as well to either swap over or to take the pieces you need to fit the wheel carrier.
You'll also need the reinforcing piece that sits inside the rear corner that the carrier bolts to.

Failing that there is a 4wd system carrier for about $650 delivered. Ive got one and its all right. Would have preferred the surf type though but couldnt get a hold of one a few years ago
[url=http://www.fnqoffroaders.com/]FNQ Offroaders[/url] - a new forum in Far North Queensland for all things offroad
Toyota 4runner with an identity crisis

bffa
Here and there

Unread post by bffa » April 28th, 2010, 3:21 am

i fitted the surf 1 on mine and i have had to make ajustments as im using285 75 r16 on my truck
cheers brian

ezzy
Here and there

Unread post by ezzy » May 25th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Azriel wrote:I dont know for sure but i think you will need the surf tailgate as well to either swap over or to take the pieces you need to fit the wheel carrier.
You'll also need the reinforcing piece that sits inside the rear corner that the carrier bolts to.

Failing that there is a 4wd system carrier for about $650 delivered. Ive got one and its all right. Would have preferred the surf type though but couldnt get a hold of one a few years ago
hey mate, where would i find the 4wd system carrier your talking about

Gowman
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Gowman » May 26th, 2010, 2:26 pm

internet search 4WD systems, they are a company based in South Australia, give them a call to get a quote for a carrier that will fit your model. I got a quote for my 1991 RV6 4Runner about a month ago, was $870 delivered to sydney.

Reddahaydn
Been here a while

Re: Wheel Carrier....

Unread post by Reddahaydn » May 8th, 2012, 9:59 am

Is there any write ups for fitting the surf rear wheel carrier to a 4runner? I saw one a few months ago but have seached everywhere and can't find it now.
HDJ80
few extra bits and pieces

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Re: Wheel Carrier....

Unread post by r2d2 sander » May 8th, 2012, 5:11 pm

A better option is to snatch up a Kaymar Rear Wheel carrier of Ebay for around $500. You probably have to do it up a bit paint-wise, but after that you have a great carrier, that can handle the weight properly and increases your departure angle as well.

They come by around 5 times a year (I know have been preying on one for 2 years now) and finally didn't miss out whith bidding.

Cheers

Alex

Return to “4Runner”