noisy thrust bearing - can I replace just it?

ltd_v8
Here and there

noisy thrust bearing - can I replace just it?

Unread post by ltd_v8 » March 8th, 2016, 9:57 pm

hey all i fineally got one that i have been after for so many years i swapped my 92 ford ltd v8 for this 91 4 runner v6 only problem is that it has a noisy throw out bearing and i was wondering if anyone knew can i just replace that my clutch and pressure plate feel fine and it does look like it has been replaced

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Re: noisy thrust bearing - can I replace just it?

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 9th, 2016, 9:20 am

What exactly are your symptoms to indicate its a thrust bearing?

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » March 9th, 2016, 12:28 pm

clutch in noisey
clutch out no noise

and penrith brake and clutch confirmed that it was

my question is can i just replace the thrust bearing without doing the presure plate and clutch disc because it feels good and does not slip

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 9th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Regardless of the diagnosis, surely you don't want to hafta go thru it all again shortly - maybe in days, possibly months or even years; but certainly earlier than if you do it all at once?? After all, seeing that all the cost/effort is in taking out the gearbox anyway (just so you can get at all those other things) wouldn't you feel a bit silly not to replace everything that might need replacing in the forseeable future once the box is out this time around only to find you hafta do it all again when the clutch fails a little bit down track??.... :ooh:

Sure, if you KNOW the clutch disc, pressure plate, & flywheel were just recently replaced & are still in top notch condition & aren't likely to need replacing within 100,000 km or so, then you might just do the thrust bearing this time around; but rarely do thinking people who are concerned about the reliability of their vehicle & the long term damage to their hip pocket nerve bother to replace just the clutch etc and not the thrust bearing & spigot bearing at the same time, so they were all probably done together last time anyway - unless maybe whoever did it last time just liked pulling gearboxes out of vehicles! :purplex:

When it comes to clutches, 'feeling good & does not slip' is no reliable indicator of how long they will last - with a reasonably skilled driver, they can do that right up until the moment they fail & the vehicle suddenly will not move anymore at all; & they can go from 'good' to 'not working' in the difference of just a few seconds or metres!! And since (if your vehicle is like every other 4WD out there) it's gonna take at least an hour or so to pull the gearbox out & probably the same again to put it back in, regardless of whatever work you hafta do once you've got it out, it's going to be just a minor portion of the total cost to do the whole lot properly & then know you are good for a fair while, instead of having to worry about the clutch dieing on you at any moment cos you didn't bother to replace it while you had the chance - hey, I'd even check the rear main oil seal very carefully while you are there!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 9th, 2016, 2:17 pm

the answer is yes, you can do just the thrust bearing.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » March 9th, 2016, 4:14 pm

100% agree with Peter

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » March 9th, 2016, 8:10 pm

i will be removing the gearbox myself i did ask penrith brake and clutch and they said it was fine just replacing the throw out bearing and the spigot bearing i did the test and clutch does not slip however i did notice that it looks like it has been done before because im missing the cover plate for it

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 9th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Did they say it was fine to just do part of the job before you told them that you were going to remove the g/box yourself?? :sillywink:

Buuut, I've removed quite a few gearboxes in my time, some of them under really difficult conditions, & I can assure you that as far as I'm concerned, regardless of where & how you get to do it, you really don't want to HAVE to take a g/box out again sooner than expected just cos you thought you were saving a few bucks!! IMO, if you are going to the bother of taking the g/box out, then do the whole job & do it properly, don't just do half of it! But you'll be the one facing the extra effort & cost if that happens, plus running the risk of the clutch giving up when you least want it to or expect it to, so it's your call - but you did ask for opinions & advice, didn't you?! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » March 10th, 2016, 5:55 am

Its not the fact that saving a few $$$ is the issue its that it has or it looks like the box has been out before so for all i know someone could put just a new clutch and presure plate in and didn't bother with the thrust bearing or because this 4wd has been on the beach and sault water has gotten to it but the only way im going to know is when i pull the gearbox out im sure you can buy the presure plate and clutch seprate

I remember years ago on my old mazda 626 turbo i have bought a used ceremic button clutch before and it held up really well with 15pound boost so this why i asked the question

The 4 runner does not grind gears it shifts good so this is why i see if its not fucked why replace it you know

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 10th, 2016, 5:38 pm

well, when you get it out, pull the pressure plate off & check it for scores & heat cracking etc., check the flywheel for damage. measure the clutch plate for thickness against new specs- If its half worn, better to replace it. spigot is worth about $20-30 so do it too while its apart. Its a big job to pull the box out, as its very heavy, 2 tail-shafts to pull, exhausts, starter, wiring, clutch cylinder, gear-levers, That's why Peter was suggesting you be careful to replace everything that needs doing, to save you some work and $ later. He's a fix it once, fix it right first time kinda guy.

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » March 10th, 2016, 7:18 pm

I know that i do appreciate it but for what i have read so far as well the thrust bearing will last a little longer as long as i don't ride the clutch or keep my foot on the clutch when i come to a stop which i never do

Return to “4Runner”