Spartan Locker

Joshua S Yota
Getting to know the place

Spartan Locker

Unread post by Joshua S Yota » November 25th, 2014, 8:13 am

Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone has a Spartan FRONT locker. Was it relatively easy to DIY and how does it perform on and off the bitumen? how does it perform compared to a selectable locker?
Back story to this is that I'm tossing up between the idea and practicalities of a SAS or keeping the IFS and rebuilding my front diff with a locker. The only foreseeable cost for a SAS will be the purchase price of the components. I can do all the welding work myself as I'm a boilermaker. That being said, a front locker is still a much cheaper option and potentially less headaches.

I already have a rear air locker and that thing has done wonders to my truck.
I'm driving a 2.8 and pushing a 4" lift and 33" rubber.

Cheers,
Josh
"Go on, get out there! See Australia!" -Ernie Dingo

2.8 '92 Diesel Runner
- 2" suspension lift // 2" body lift
- 33" BFG KM2s
- Rear air locker
- Self built sliders and swing-away wheel carrier
- Xrox bulbar
- The usual necessities: winch, snorkel, etc.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Spartan Locker

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » November 25th, 2014, 9:26 am

Make sure you factor in $1000+ for the engineering after the SAS.

The spartan in the front for me was great when I had my solid axle hilux, didnt worry me at all on the bitumen as I had the hubs unlocked.

It was great when 4x4'ing but it definitly effected tight steering.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Joshua S Yota
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Joshua S Yota » November 25th, 2014, 12:16 pm

When you say it effected tight steering, were you still able to get through tight sections if track? it would seem a bit pointless to have one if you couldn't...
"Go on, get out there! See Australia!" -Ernie Dingo

2.8 '92 Diesel Runner
- 2" suspension lift // 2" body lift
- 33" BFG KM2s
- Rear air locker
- Self built sliders and swing-away wheel carrier
- Xrox bulbar
- The usual necessities: winch, snorkel, etc.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » November 25th, 2014, 12:18 pm

It wasnt impossible, but it recoiled back in my hands pretty hard and took alot of effort. (one thing to note is that I didnt have power steering.)

Its not impossible to drive just a little tricky, I certainly wouldnt be putting an autolocker in the front of a full time 4x4.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

goldiexxxx
Been here a while

Unread post by goldiexxxx » May 16th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Don't be concerned about stories of troubles with auto-lockers, especially in part-time 4wds. I agree, I wouldn't put one in the front of a full-time 4wd either just because by the nature of its design, it will put additional stress on components and tyres when driving on bitumen. But if you have a part-time 4wd where you can disengage the hubs manually, then these devices will transform your vehicle's capability. They are way cheaper than electronic or air operated lockers and do not affect your driving in any way while on loose surfaces. The tighter feel you get in the steering wheel is no different than what you get with any locker of any type in your front diff. And just like any locker, don't have it engaged when on the bitumen.
And as far as affecting tight cornering, well its no different than any locker in the front diff. If you absolutely had to disengage the locker at the cost of traction to negotiate some tight turning obstacle, then its not different than turning off your air locker. You just have to get out the car and unlock the hubs instead. How often do you think this may happen; I can say never in any situation I have been in !!
Auto-lockers are great, no maintenance except changing your diff oil as normal, and when driving, they are just like "point and shoot". You want to take the hardest line? Then point the front wheels at it and up you go!!

Goldie

Return to “4Runner”