Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Nemesis
Admin

Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by Nemesis » September 12th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally started as a research topic years ago in the utes sections, the tyre topics are so popular it's time to start an new info archive in each sub section, not just for the ute people!

What we want is a collective tried and tested database of info on what works for your model fourby. No hearsay!

So, if you have upgraded your tyre size, let us know what had to be done and whether there is any or no scrubbing. What year/model, how much suspension lift, body lift, wheel off set, guard cutting/massaging, gear changes etc? You get the drift.

Fire away and feel free to post supporting pictures!
Nemesis 3 - Turbo FZJ105 Cruiser. Live Axles & Grunt = See Ya!

Joshua S Yota
Getting to know the place

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by Joshua S Yota » November 25th, 2014, 8:34 am

I thought there would be more replies to this...
Anyway, I run the tried and tested 33x10.5xr15 bfg km2s. They have given me a massive gain over my old 31" geolanders. I didn't go the wider and more common 12.5 wide tyre as, in my opinion, it puts a lot more stress on the driveline and cv's than what its worth. I haven't found a situation yet where the 10.5s were too narrow.

Mods to make them work:
1. -13 offset rims (pretty standard offset, and it brings the tyres to just outside the guards but nothing to attract attention from the boys in blue ;) )
2. 2" suspension lift with upgraded torsion bars
3. 2" body blocks (you could probably get away with 1" but I don't scrub at all with 2")
4. A wheel carrier. A 33" tyre will not fit under the truck in the original place Toyota designed. I built myself a swing away wheel carrier to solve this. You could put it on your roof but you'll use more fuel and raise your truck's centre of gravity.

That's it! Some people go ball joint spacers but I haven't found the need to. No need for breaking out the grinder on your arches either!
In terms of power and fuel consumption, the old 2.8 na diesel uses about 10-15% more of the yellow stuff around town and about 5-10% more on the highway. But the capability off-road in terms of useable diff clearance, sill clearance, ramp over, approach and departure angles and traction (they are muddies after all) is worth the extra fuel consumption and time spent slogging it up hills in 3rd. The last problem will be solved with a turbo once the funds allow :)
"Go on, get out there! See Australia!" -Ernie Dingo

2.8 '92 Diesel Runner
- 2" suspension lift // 2" body lift
- 33" BFG KM2s
- Rear air locker
- Self built sliders and swing-away wheel carrier
- Xrox bulbar
- The usual necessities: winch, snorkel, etc.

silverunner
Getting to know the place

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by silverunner » September 13th, 2015, 1:30 pm

I had 33x12.5r15 maxxis bighorns on my old 4runner on 0 offset sunnys. It had 2inch springs in the rear and ball joint spacers in the front with torsion bars wound up to make 2 inch sus lift. 2 inch body blocks as well. Worked well, only slight rubbing on full lock full tuck up front but not enough to be worried about. -13's probably would have fixed it, but the 0 offset kept the 12.5's hanging out too far.

92 4Runner lift, 33's - SOLD
2008 D4D GXL Prado - Work in progress

Return to “4Runner”