Buying 1995 SR5 4Runner - what should I be wary of?

shanebradbury
I'm new, be nice!

Buying 1995 SR5 4Runner - what should I be wary of?

Unread post by shanebradbury » March 22nd, 2014, 7:10 am

Hi everyone. I am buying a 1995 SR5 4Runner Manual next week when my money comes through and have already checked it over. No leaks, hubs lock and unlock fine, 4wd hi/lo work perfectly also and comes with uhf. Just wondering if there are anythings that I should be weary of for owning one of these. Any common problems or anything like that? Also what are some common mods for these? Thanks In Advance guys

Joshua S Yota
Getting to know the place

Re: Buying 1995 SR5 4Runner - what should I be wary of?

Unread post by Joshua S Yota » April 4th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hey mate, I've owned my 92 Runner for a bit over 18 months now (almost the same as your 95 sr5). Check around the doors and boot windows for rust - pretty common place to find it, I have a bit and my mate's surf had a bit as well. Treat it early and it wont be a problem! Common mods are about the same as any other IFS 4by:

-2" spring lift
-Bigger tires, (31"s will fit without a lift but you wont get full articulation on the rear, 33s will need a total of 75mm lift to fit without scrubbing)
-2" body lift. Relatively simple but you'll need to lengthen and bend your gear stick. A radiator drop kit is advised but its not necessary (I haven't dropped my radiator and all is well on the highway, in traffic, and most importantly crawling on the trails ;))
-Snorkel. Absolute necessity if you plan on doing water crossings as your air intake is behind your front left headlight and will take on water. Any off ebay for an LN106 hilux or LN130 4Runner will fit.

Depending on your experience that'll sort you out for most light to moderate tracks :)

I've done all the above mods to mine plus an xrox bar, spotties and rear air locker.

There's heaps more mods out there but go out bush and see what you actually need for what you want to do!

Have fun!
"Go on, get out there! See Australia!" -Ernie Dingo

2.8 '92 Diesel Runner
- 2" suspension lift // 2" body lift
- 33" BFG KM2s
- Rear air locker
- Self built sliders and swing-away wheel carrier
- Xrox bulbar
- The usual necessities: winch, snorkel, etc.

Joshua S Yota
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Joshua S Yota » April 4th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Also a turbo out of a 2.4 Surf is pretty popular mod. I plan on doing it sometime this year. Just gotta get the time and funds together and not let the girlfriend know that the truck is getting more money than her ;)
"Go on, get out there! See Australia!" -Ernie Dingo

2.8 '92 Diesel Runner
- 2" suspension lift // 2" body lift
- 33" BFG KM2s
- Rear air locker
- Self built sliders and swing-away wheel carrier
- Xrox bulbar
- The usual necessities: winch, snorkel, etc.

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 4th, 2014, 12:35 pm

^^^ Oh thats a bit of a risky spot to put yourself in lol

Ranger_Rob
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ranger_Rob » July 14th, 2015, 8:26 pm

As above, Rust is the big one here, I have a 1993 v6 and have replaced the back doors due to rust, it works from the inside out and by the time you notice it then its too late. the door and window seals will start to bulge and a small patch of rust will show. If you don't get onto this early the inside of the door will be eaten away by rust.

Look under the vehicle and don't be scared to get a finger into the tight spots under neath to see what sand comes out, beach sand is a good sign that the vehicle has probably been splashing its way through the ocean somewhere, if not washed out thoroughly the salt will start corrosion in the chassis and body.

As for the mechanical side of the car, take it for a run, find an open place like a empty car park and do some tight circles on full lock. Both forward and backwards, listen for creaks and clunking or any strange noise. Then engage the hubs and 4wd and do it again and listen for any grinding, clunking or creaks.

Remember the car is 20 years old, and things are going to wear out.
If you don't stand behind our troops. Feel free to stand in front of them!

Return to “4Runner”