Just bought a 2nd Gen 4Runner... A few questions.

deniall
Getting to know the place

Just bought a 2nd Gen 4Runner... A few questions.

Unread post by deniall » April 10th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Hey guys. I just bought myself a 2nd Gen 4Runner as I have always loved the shape of them and swore I would get another Toyota after I sold my Landcruiser a few years ago. I have a few questions I hope you can help me with...

There is oil around the gearbox seal. Is this a common problem or is it just in need of a replacement? Is it an expensive job to fix?

I have seen a bunch of 4Runners (Twisty etc) with flares on them. They look factory and similar to the flares on the SR5 Hilux. Despite my Runner being a late model RV6 it doesn't have these flares but the guards do stick out a bit. Can I fit these flares to my 4Runner?

Is there anything you guys would advise me to do in the way of servicing? It's due for an oil change so I want to replace any other little bits that might go in the future to save me the hassle.

It has a small lift with Pedders suspension. I would say 2 inch. Can I fit 15x10 rims and 33x12.5 tyres without it scrubbing too bad?

That's it for now. I'll post pics once I give it a tidy up.
'95 Toyota 4Runner..

JBlacka
Been here a while

Re: Just bought a 2nd Gen 4Runner... A few questions.

Unread post by JBlacka » April 11th, 2012, 9:06 pm

I have the Surf Tubo diesel,

I had the rear main seal go at the bellhousing, Im assuming that where the oil is comming from,
If it is, its not an impossible job to do yourself, but I really really wouldnt reconmend doing it yourself, My local mechanic charged me 300 bucks to get and install the rear main,
Only reason why Im glad I didnt do it myself, is the gearbox weighs a ton, and its so so much harder to do it without a hoist and a few mates,

If you are getting work done to the truck or want to get ahead in servicing,

Check diff oils, Replace if needed
Engine belts,
Radiator hoses
Timing belt,
Water Pump
And any other water/oil line in the engine bay, im doing mine this weekend so can tell you the price then.

And then just go through and regrease EVERYTHING!!! its something not alot of people do,

The Flares you see on twistys I think he brought of eBay from memory,

Or my mate just called around people wrecking surfs on ebay and got the flares of them,
no idea how the surf flares look on a 4runner as I havnt seen his yet,

I had 15x8 with 33x12.5 rubber on mine with a 2inch body lift and it only rubbed on full left hand lock it hit the pitman arm,

deniall

Unread post by deniall » April 13th, 2012, 10:11 am

Cheers for the reply..

Another couple of questions. My 4Runner has chrome side mirrors. They are manual and need to be adjusted from outside the car. Are these factory or aftermarket? Also, the front door handles are plastic but the rears are chrome. Which ones are factory? Does anyone have the part number for a genuine Toyota oil filter for these cars? Wht engine, gearbox and diff oil should I use? I'm struggling to find the manufacturers recommended products.
'95 Toyota 4Runner..

JBlacka
Been here a while

Unread post by JBlacka » April 13th, 2012, 11:03 am

Im gonna say that the non power mirrors are stock, but I havnt seen a 4Runner with stock chrome mirrors,
I say that who ever installed the chrome mirrors got halfway through changing the door handles out for chrome as well,

Why would you want genuine Toyota filter? I dont know many people that still run Genuine filters, actually I dont know anyone that runs genuine filters,

As for oils,

Diff oil,
( I dont buy the best as I change mine every second oil change, as I tend to do alot of mud play)

Engine oil I use Penrite.

Gearbox, I caint remember what I used there,

Dont forget to change the Transfer case

Next time you are at super cheap, take a look they have the sheets hanging up, of how much oil your car takes and where,
make sure you buy a little more then you need,

deniall

Unread post by deniall » April 13th, 2012, 11:37 am

I remember reading a couple of years ago that genuine Toyota filters were the best. I used them on my 80 series and never had a problem. Cheers for the info.
'95 Toyota 4Runner..

deniall

Unread post by deniall » April 17th, 2012, 12:03 am

Pics in this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=129142
'95 Toyota 4Runner..

Return to “4Runner”