Back window only works sometimes - where's its controller?

4desiel
I'm new, be nice!

Back window only works sometimes - where's its controller?

Unread post by 4desiel » March 31st, 2012, 9:14 pm

Why does my back window only work when it feels like it?
I have read somewhere there is a rear window controller, where does this live.
It does not matter if you use the switch inside or the key outside when it won't work.
It's an LN61
Any help will be appreciated.

greenbeest
Been here a while

Re: Back window only works sometimes - where's its controlle

Unread post by greenbeest » April 6th, 2012, 11:26 am

Mine sometimes sticks or refuses to work.
These are a few things I have to do to get it to work.

I turn on the rear wiper & then check it has returned fully.
The window wont lower if wiper is not in the correct position.
Also have to start the vehicle & toggle the switch on the console from lower to raise a few times.

This has worked for me so far.
At one stage the window would not function for quite a while until I figured out what to do to get it to work.

Also the keylock in the door does not always work.
I just open the window from the switch in the console now.

Hope this works for you.

Check this previous post >>> viewtopic.php?f=73&t=98301&p=1244136&hi ... w#p1244136

4desiel
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 4desiel » April 9th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Thanks for your reply and your link I have not been able to find that even though I had seen it before. I thought I was on to it the other day as I quizzed an auto electrician and he told me the controller relay is rarely the problem it is usually something else like the wiper causing the problem. Then I remembered my wiper was not returning to the home position properly and I thought that will be it and I spent about ten minutes getting it to go to it's home properly but still no window working. So maybe it needs some sort of reboot. Failing that I will take it to the auto electrician and let him find the problem before buying relays and things.

gismo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by gismo » April 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm

I have had the same troule with mine. turned out to be the switch, just remove it from console and carefully disasemble. clean and realign contacts. the contacts tend o bend out of shape. as long as you are gentle pull the switch apart t will fix your problem.
hope this helps
Chris

Lux Wrecker
Been here a while

Unread post by Lux Wrecker » May 17th, 2012, 9:33 pm

The relay is located behind the left front seat belt in the 1/4 panel, its a bugger to get to.
Hylux Heaven / 4x4 Heaven 3/102 Harburg Dr, Beenleigh Qld 4207, NO LONGER WRECKER - http://www.facebook.com/HyluxHeavenPtyLtd
http://www.4x4-heaven.net https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfew5474gq93ky0/Hilux%20Heaven%20Monthly%20specials%20Febuary%202014.pdf

r2d2 sander
Been here a while

Unread post by r2d2 sander » May 20th, 2012, 9:46 am

Just an interesting observation:

When I put a new window motor in the tailgate, I changed the polarity on the motor by accident, so 'down' became 'up' and otherway around. By doing this, the sensors (like the rear wiper, tailgate open/close) were 'ignored', and you could lower the window when ever you wanted. I changed this later back again.

I made a hotwire underneath the vehicle in case the relay/switches/control unit would play up, so I could alway lower the window if one of them would play up, just by hooking it startight up to the battery. If the motor would fail again, I would be screwed too ;-)

Cheers

Alex

Oigle
Avid Poster

Unread post by Oigle » May 29th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Hello 4desiel
It's been a while since I had ours apart (sold it in 2007), but I think I can remember a few things I did to fix the same problem you are having.
1. The switch required disassembly and cleaning as Chris said.
2. There are two latch switches that ensure the tailgate is latched properly prior to allowing the glass to move. Both were full of mud/dirt due to dust and water ingress into the tailgate and one had a broken housing. Cleaned out the good one and disconnected the other. Circuit must be Open for tailgate closed so I didn't need to short circuit the harness.
3. Something on the regulator assembly needed lubrication.....can't remember the symptoms that allowed me to find this one, but I remember pulling the door apart a few times to get to the regulator.

Hopefully this helps, if you want to jog my memory further, take off the inner trim and take some good photos and I'll see if they prompt my memory.

With the tailgate down and the latch switches tripped you can move the glass in and out, just be careful not to over extend as you will drop the glass on the ground - expensive.

Cheers
Oigle.

webby
Here and there

Unread post by webby » June 1st, 2012, 11:24 am

I don't know if any is interested but I had a problem that the rear window would only down and not up. Turns out there was break in the wire between the key switch and controller. The other thing that really annoyed me was the fact the key needs to be on 'acc' for the inside switch to work. Solution? Remove the pins from the 'key' switch and swap with wires from 'inside' switch. So now the tailgate key does not work (which it didn't anyway) and in the inside switch is permanently powered and can be used without key in ignition.

Works for me.

4desiel
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 4desiel » June 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm

A post script to all the replies. I decided to sell the vehicle last week-end and it was raining at the time. Up to then the window would work then not work for a few days then half go down and stop etc. But while it was raining the window worked perfectly which helped sell the 4 runner. So the answer I think would have been gismo's idea about dirty contacts as the rain helped earth the contacts.

Return to “4Runner”