2006 Hilux noise from passenger front wheel

Alan Burge
I'm new, be nice!

2006 Hilux noise from passenger front wheel

Unread post by Alan Burge » July 28th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Hi my name is Alan and this is my first post on this forum. I apologise if i'm in the wrong section and I have done a search on this topic but can't find any other topics relating to the problem I am experiencing. I have a dual cab 2006 Hilux that I am getting a noise which sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel. The noise is unusual it sounds almost like sand is being flicked up by the wheel and hitting the mudgaurd. It does not sound like a wheel bearing to me and I have checked for play in the bearing. It only happens when I turn to the right. Doesn't do it all the time but is becoming more common doesn't affect braking or handling. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar. I have done 450,000 kms so not surprised if something has worn out.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Alan

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 2006 Hilux noise from passenger front wheel

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 29th, 2018, 2:17 am

Hi Alan, welcome to the Forum! :thumb: This is a pretty good place to put a technical type question about a Hilux, being the Hilux model specific Tech Section, so no worries there, you did good! ;)

As for your question, your Hilux is an IFS Hilux, isn't it? Independent Front Suspension type, with CV joints in the drive shaft or axle between the front diff & the front wheel on each side? I reckon it sounds like what you are hearing is the noises made by an early stage stuffed CV joint.... Sorta like a fine metallic tinkling noise crossed with the noise made by rolling an old tin can half filled with gravel down the road type noise??

I'd guess that the bell on one of the LH Side CV's has cracked & the tinkling 'sand flicked up onto the mud guard' noise you hear when turning right will be the balls in the CV ringing as they roll over the crack/cracks while the left front wheel is loaded up thru the turn, but it could be that a CV has run dry of grease for too long & is just making the noise cos it's dry.... Check underneath & see if one or any of the rubber boots around the CV's have torn yet, that could be a give-away for that, altho a damaged boot is by no means essential. Jacking the front end up & putting it on stands before getting under there & listening/feeling while the wheel & drive-shaft on each side is turned by hand should reveal the culprit pretty quickly!

Regardless, at this stage, it sounds like the cracking/damage is relatively small & your steering & driving isn't being effected much, but don't leave it too long before getting it sorted or you could find that not only does the noise get worse & become full time, but also that side drive-shaft/axle could seize up & do a significant chunk more damage in there, potentially even stopping the wheel from turning &/or jamming & not letting you steer &/or brake properly. It will almost certainly be a 'replace the CV' job to fix it, & IIRC that is a bit of a messy job unless you replace the entire axle with both the inner & outer new CV's already in place on a replacement driveshaft, but it has been quite a few years since I was under a Hilux with a spanner in hand!

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Alan Burge
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 2006 Hilux noise from passenger front wheel

Unread post by Alan Burge » July 29th, 2018, 8:55 am

thanks Peter I will jack the car up and see if I can see any problems with the CV joints.

Thanks agin for your informative quick reply

Alan

Return to “HiLux”