View topic - LN106 bad vibrations on takeoff and other issues

LN106 bad vibrations on takeoff and other issues

I'm new, be nice!

LN106 bad vibrations on takeoff and other issues

Hi from the other side of the world!

Have LN106 2.8D Hilux that I saved from scrapyard sometimes ago. Still have few issues with it that I just can't fix.

Rear driveshaft was in horrible state. I've replaced rear u joint and center bearing but I still get pretty strong vibrations on takeoff. I'm not even sure how that thing should look like since there is no markings at all.

This is how it looks now. Is this properly aligned? Left half of driveshaft (where center bearing goes) does not have jokes perfectly in line. There are some markings inside but when I insert splines by the markings jokes are off by few degrees, so much that it's visible with naked eye. After trying every possible position I've got it almost in line but they're still tiny bit off.

One more strange thing is that when going in reverse there are no vibes at all.

The irony is that it is vibrating on takeoff more than it did before with totally worn center bearing and rear U joint of wrong type that was welded(!) in joke. It did however eliminate vibrations at higher speeds.

Another issue is engine vibrations. You have to really rev 3rd gear before shifting to 4th or you get nasty vibrations from engine itself so no low rpm cruising. Sometimes it feels like engine is welded to the frame :-) This is most noticeable in 4th gear under load. When just revving it in neutral it feels pretty normal for agricultural type of machine. Engine mounts look fine but can't really tell.

The last thing that bothers me is that engine builds oil pressure quite slowly. After sitting for few days it can take up to 6-7 seconds for oil pressure indicator to turn off and it's not sensor issue since I can actually hear change in engine sound when indicator turns off. Any ideas? It has 280kKm on the clock. Oil filter has check valve.

Thanks for any help!

Unread postby Kerozin » October 4th, 2012, 5:45 am

Here and there

Re: LN106 bad vibrations on takeoff and other issues

I'm no expert but like blue said, it looks like the tailshaft is out of phase as in the uni joint needs to be rotated 90deg on the companion flange so that the flange yokes on the intermediate and rear propeller shafts are aligned.

Engine mounts might look o'kay but if the rubber is old you may as well have a block of wood in there. This causes vibration at start up, when you take off and as you drive. A pretty simple and cheap job to replace these.

Unread postby cjhub » October 4th, 2012, 9:10 am

I'm new, be nice!

bluehilux wrote:my oil light only stays on that long after i put a new one on.
normally it's 2-3 seconds.. how long has it been on and what brand is it ? as some i used years ago did that.. never used those again. sounds like the oil is draining out of it.

Tried two brands (Fleetguard and some cheap no name one), they both behave the same and they both have that rubber thingy that is supposed to keep oil from draining back to sump. Since engine has some mileage and almost certainly didn't see regular oil changes maybe main bearings are not in that great shape anymore but while adjusting valves I haven't noticed any excessive oil sludge. Should I even bother trying to change oil pump? Never heard of one failing before.

cjhub wrote:I'm no expert but like blue said, it looks like the tailshaft is out of phase as in the uni joint needs to be rotated 90deg on the companion flange so that the flange yokes on the intermediate and rear propeller shafts are aligned. .

Well I initially did assemble drive shaft as you described and there were vibrations so tried rotating it for 90 degrees :-) There was some change, it got worse :-). At least now I know how it is supposed to be put together.

Unread postby Kerozin » October 5th, 2012, 4:02 am

Need to get out more

Looking at that pic it appears that your drive shaft is out of phase. You will need to remove the flange on the front half of the tail shaft, near the centre bearing then re install it on the spline so that when you bolt the rear half of the tail shaft on the unis can all line up. The way it is at the moment you cant do that. Also looking at the pic it appears that the rear half isnt phased either. Youll need to slide it out of the slip yoke and twist it so it lines up.
All the unis on the one tailshaft need to be in one line otherwise you will get vibrations.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Unread postby ERASER » October 5th, 2012, 8:50 am

Been here a while

I had the same problem with my hilux and i did exactly what Eraser just said. My centre bearing was shagged and the shaft was completely out of phase haha. I assume the centre bearing was ruined by the vibration in the driveline. I sorted it all out and now its smooth as silk.

Unread postby RATCATCHER » October 7th, 2012, 10:31 am

I'm new, be nice!

Finally found some time to reassemble shaft as suggested. Split it at center bearing and rotated one side for 90 degrees. It's so much better now. Still have tiny bit of vibrations at takeoff present but it's hardly noticeable. Guess those are from really lots of free play in rear diff flange and the fact that I can't really get front part of shaft totally inline. Joint's angles are always mismatched for 1-2 degrees no matter how I mate the splines but I'll leave fine tuning for the future.

So the only thing left fixing are nasty engine vibrations under load at low rpm. I have two suspects for now so let me know what you think.

This is exhaust just after the headers. Shouldn't there be some kind of the flex pipe or joint? The exhaust is made in one solid welded piece from the engine to the exhaust tip. Never seen anything like it, maybe just 3rd world hack job.

And this is rear engine mount. Looks bad enough.

Unread postby Kerozin » October 13th, 2012, 3:57 am

Here and there

Good to hear you sorted some of the vibrations out

Your rear engine mount looks totally shagged, should be an easy replacement
I would suspect the front ones may be similar, but as you say there are not as easy to inspect
I wouldn't replace with the cheapest ones available (these are rubbish), go the best quality you can afford. Genuine or I find Terrain Tamer a great alternative and a bit cheaper.

New mounts make a hell of alot of difference on start up and when you take off

Unread postby cjhub » October 13th, 2012, 8:17 am

Here and there

hey folks was going to start up a new thread but did a search and found this so I'll just post here

Anyhow was driving home from work when I realised she would shudder/vibrate on take-off and gradually got worse on the freeway.
Was under 3kms from home at the time so I thought I'd have a squiz underneath her when I pulled in at home. but I never pulled in at home!!

Doing 100kph on the freeway and bang! Merged into the far left emergency lane and had a look under her and the result was a broken tail shaft.

Specs are 2000km into an EFS 3 inch lift, running 31's, spacer (1inch) for the front diff.

Thinking of going caster wedges from snake racing or superior to lengthen the shaft equalling less of an angle.
Plus buying a cheap centre bearing off ebay, and re greasing all round.
Would that fix the problem, and will I still have to replace cente bearing every 10,000kms??
What do you guys think

Unread postby SAF_LUX » September 22nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Return to HiLux