View topic - LN106 hand primer not pumping ideas?

LN106 hand primer not pumping ideas?

Been here a while

LN106 hand primer not pumping ideas?

Hi all

I have never been able to get my hand primer pump to pump out fuel so today I put another one on that was working. when I fitted it. I put on fuel filer full of fuel. and same thing. not pumping. was told that maybe the hoses could be around the wrong way so I just check and they seem fine.

there are arrows on the primer that show the left hand one that is vertical is the inlet and the right hand one that is at 45deg is the outlet. Is this right??????

Tonight i just changed the hoses and still nothing.

The engine runs fine with the hoses either way. the hand primer doesn't get hard while engine running with hoses either way around

any ideas?

Thanks

Unread postby Rexxpro » June 30th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Admin

Re: LN106 hand primer not pumping ideas?

How long did you pump it, & if the fuel filter was full before you started, were the fuel lines both sides also full?? And if the engine runs fine regardless, how exactly do you know the primer pump is not pumping?? Is it just that the hand pump hasn't gone hard or have you pulled off a fuel line & been unable to pump fuel from that line into a can or jar??
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » June 30th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Been here a while

I have never been able to prime the engine with the current primer.

Have removed fuel lines and pumped and never got any fuel out of it. apart from a quick spert of what was in pump.

With the primer I fitted today, I put full filter on it and pumped and pumped and nothing came out of nozzle with hose off. Tonight I swapped the hose from tank to other side of primer and still nothing. Even tried it after running the engine so fuel was definately at primer pump.

The only thing (apart from 2 primers not working) is that there could be a slight air leak in a hose as if I leave lux on drive way for a week or so, it sometimes will not start, just keeps winding over until battery goes flat. That could also be a battery fault not winding engine over fast enough as have had issues with battery drain. not sure if air leak could affect the primer pump but not affect the engine when it is running?

The fuel filter is only a couple of weeks old. there is 1/3 tank of fuel and the lux is currently sitting on flat level ground.

Unread postby Rexxpro » June 30th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Admin

Did the 'new' primer pump work on the vehicle it came off, or has it ever been known to work?? The odds are not good that you've just 'chanced' on two pumps that don't work in exactly the same way....

An air leak between the tank & the pump will definitely stop the primer from having any chance of working, even if it is slight!! It's easier to suck air than it is to suck fuel & you simply can't pump hard enough by hand to overcome that. The engine driven transfer pump sucks a helluva lot harder than the primer pump, so that's probably why the engine runs OK once you've got fuel up to it.

Given your 'leave for a week then have starting problems' issues, I'd be checking/rectifying any air leaks or dodgy connections between the tank & the primer pump first, & if that doesn't get the primer to work, then check to see if you can get the primer pump working by sucking thru a short length of hose dumped in a jar or bucket full of diesel. If that works then the pump is OK & it's something closer to the tank that's the problem.

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2012, 12:14 am

Avid Poster

Rexxpro I think it is just something to do with the design of the primer pump, I have never been able to get mine to pump either.
I swapped mine for a newer one and replaced all the soft fuel lines and that didn't make a difference, I also tried one off a Tata and it worked like a dream, but was too hard to mount it securely. How is it that a pump off an Indian piece of tulip works but a Toyota one won't.
I managed to run out of fuel one day, (luckily I had a full jerry can) and had to blow down the filler neck to push fuel up to the filter.

Unread postby dod28 » July 1st, 2012, 4:32 pm

Part of the furniture

My last 4WD, also a Toyota, wouldn't easily prime the filter with the pump either.
After a filter change, I used to hook up the supply line to the filter / primer pump then put a length of clear PVC hose on the primer outlet. Start sucking on the clear PVC hose and pumping at the same time. This is the only way I could ever successfully prime the new filter. You will feel a difference in the primer pump as the fuel makes it to the filter, you will also see fuel in the clear hose well before you risk getting a mouthful of diesel.
Connect the injector pump supply pipe back onto the primer assy, a few more pumps and you are in business.
I now own a diesel Pajero. When I change the fuel filter, no sucking required, the primer pump has enough guts to draw the fuel up from the tank on its own, very quickly too.... :)
It must be a generic Toyota thing to have useless primer pumps?
Dan.

Unread postby Aussie_Dan » July 1st, 2012, 5:09 pm

Part of the furniture

Secondly, I wouldn't go swapping the pipes around on the primer / filter housing either, this will lead to your injector pump sucking fuel from the dirty side of the filter and feeding potentially dirty fuel straight to the injector pump. That would be an expensive mistake.....
Cheers, Dan.

Unread postby Aussie_Dan » July 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm

Been here a while

Thanks for the replies guys

So can it be confirmed that the left pipe on the primer pump is in fact the inlet (that pipe goes straight down) and the right pipe is the outlet (it is on 45deg). that is how the arrows look to me.

Think I might connect up a 12v electric inline primer pump to get the fuel there.

Cheers

Unread postby Rexxpro » July 1st, 2012, 5:49 pm

Been here a while

the primer's have always been an issue on these hilux's and some cruisers with the similar setup are also the same, mine's always a pain to prime up, i've found that having a full tank of juice helps, and if it's real stubborn blow compressed air down the fuel filler pushes the fuel up the lines to the primer.

Unread postby MitchO » July 1st, 2012, 10:27 pm

Been here a while

I had trouble years ago with mine in a LN106 and after looking everywhere found it was a pinhole in the black bladder in the primer pump itself. This would let air in after sitting overnight and create an airlock and trouble starting the next day. Once running it'd be fine to drive around. But if it sat for a while - no juice. I replaced it with a new housing unit which takes the Delphi canister units (cheaper and filtering is just as good). It also has a glass bowl underneath so I can see if there's any water in there. And it has a better primer pump that seems more positive. I've used it a few times after changing over fuel lines etc and it pumps fuel up to and fills the filter nice and quick. has been good as gold ever since. It looks a bit like this one on eBay but has the primer pump built into the top of the housing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIESEL-FUEL- ... 954wt_1165

If you look on the web you'll find the right unit, I think I paid about $45 or so.

Luke2

Unread postby Luke2 » July 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Been here a while

I will replace all my flex fuel hoses and see how things go.

Annoying really that these things are so prone to failure.

Cheers

Unread postby Rexxpro » July 6th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Return to HiLux