Hilux Dual Cab rear seat upgrade

duza
Been here a while

Hilux Dual Cab rear seat upgrade

Unread post by duza » April 18th, 2012, 8:32 am

Did a search but came up with nothing, so hope someone can help.
As the title suggests, I am trying to make the rear seats more comfortable for my 6ft, 15 year old when on long trips. The boss is concerned he will end up with back problems and is putting pressure on for me to ACTUALLY SELL my beloved Hilux(94 Dually SR5 with all the good gear). It has taken me several years to get it capable offroad and I love the V8, so now need to keep it for several more years in order to benefit from the mods. I agree with her that the rear seats are crap, so was hoping someone has a solution, other than adopting him out, cos I really rather like him and divorse is not an option either.
Even if I was to upgrade to a late model Lux, I assume the rear seats wouldn't be much better and cos there is already only limited leg room, fitting seats from a late model Surf or similar may make even less room.
Please help cos I don't want to sell the old girl.
Ric

puplux
Been here a while

Re: Hilux Dual Cab rear seat upgrade

Unread post by puplux » April 18th, 2012, 8:39 am

Reupholstered with more foam is what I'm getting done soon , there's not much you can do with the seat basically straight up and down , could always put one in the tray haha
get out there and get dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » April 18th, 2012, 9:11 am

divorce the wife and put your son in the front passenger seat. Besides that theres nothing you can do.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » April 18th, 2012, 10:30 am

Slightly off-topic...

The other day I was riding on the back seat of a mates 2WD 1993 dual cab Hilux, and I was totally cramped! I'm 6'4" although I can comfortably fit in the back seat of my 2000 dual cab.

Are the sizes of the rear seat area actually smaller on the older models, or would it be because the other one was 2WD?

puplux
Been here a while

Unread post by puplux » April 18th, 2012, 12:23 pm

The whole cab is bigger mate you'll notice this by how the wheel arch is intergraded into the cab , otggjw 10cm different which is heaps

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » April 18th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Aw yeah, thought it must be bigger. Cheers.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » April 18th, 2012, 6:15 pm

the problem is the seats are fairly close to the floor, and there isn't a lot of legroom, so there's not a lot you can do short of buying a vehicle he does fit in properly.....

it seems as though the backseats on a lot of older dualcabs are just an after thought, but when all the manufacturers went to the completely new shapes around 10 years ago, they seemed to have improved the rear seats a fair bit....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » April 19th, 2012, 8:55 am

ERASER wrote:divorce the wife and put your son in the front passenger seat. Besides that theres nothing you can do.
Could try Ebay, I suppose. Fancy a trade?
Only joking. I really rather like her.
Looked at a 2005 Lux today. It wasn't an SR5 and I was a little disappointed with the interior. Ok, I know it's only a ute, but we all expect a decent level of comfort these days. There was definitely more legroom both front and rear, the rear seat squab is also wider than my old girl, but it really didn't seem that much more comfy. Maybe the SR5 would have better seats, I dunno. Ultimately, the comfort of seats can only be guaged after a long trip and the condition of your arse and back, so I'm interested in getting some feedback about that from you guys too. I'm comparing this also with a GLX Prado, which seems to have lots of room and comfort. Little unfair I suppose, but hey, I'm no spring chicken anymore and a late model vehicle is not cheap, so I do expect a lot.
Ric

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » April 19th, 2012, 10:40 am

did you take your son with you when you looked at the Hilux, and ask him what he thought of the rear seats??? I imagine one of the big things for him would be the height of the seats from the floor, so he can stretch his legs out a bit, instead of having them cramped up around his chest....

As far as the driving position goes, I'd suggest looking for as many of the following features as possible:

1. Reach adjustment on the steering wheel
2. A seat that has good side bolstering
3. Independent height adjustment of the front and rear of the seat base
4. Good lumbar support
5. A seat that is firm, but not hard

I've learnt this from previously working as a ferry driver for Avis, so have driven many different vehicles on trips of up to 5 hours, and after being spoilt by having all of the above features in the Commodores, I tend to miss them in cars that don't, and have found it quite difficult to find a comfortable driving position in some of them....

somewhat surprisingly too, I have found that my Dad's Volvo XC90 has a more uncomfortable seat than a Commodore Omega, its too hard and flat for my liking.....
LN106 Hilux Project

puplux
Been here a while

Unread post by puplux » April 20th, 2012, 5:29 pm

aalso in 2 years he'll have his own don't forget

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » April 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm

cac wrote:.....somewhat surprisingly too, I have found that my Dad's Volvo XC90 has a more uncomfortable seat than a Commodore Omega, its too hard and flat for my liking.....

Rember, a Volvo is their Commodore equivalent, without the nauseous safety campagn. Nothing special at all, unless we believe the advertising blurb

cooch72
Been here a while

Unread post by cooch72 » April 20th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Get yourself a new bt50. plenty of room and you wont miss your V8..

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 20th, 2012, 8:23 pm

This is an interesting topic actually. Yes the seats are almost vertical up the back wall and that may have been to make more leg room in the older Hilux dual cabs, but the new dual cabs are much longer and have ample leg room for rear reclined seats, yet Toyota in it's infinite wisdom decided to make the seat backs still quite vertical with no adjustment to recline them. Old Hilux does not have enough room to have any rear seat reclining and if you attempted it, there would be some approved seat engineering to recline them more from their current position and even then, the front passenger will be dangerously pushed closer to the glove box to allow the leg room in the back. I wouldn't want anything on my head in the event of an accident especially when you were told they didn't like it.

The Missus may well be right in what she says, but your young fella won't be sitting in it forever either.

Shakes.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » April 20th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Rember, a Volvo is their Commodore equivalent, without the nauseous safety campagn. Nothing special at all, unless we believe the advertising blurb
yeah good point....it just doesn't seem that way in australia cos they are so much more expensive here than the commodores....
LN106 Hilux Project

duza
Been here a while

Unread post by duza » April 22nd, 2012, 9:55 pm

cooch72 wrote:Get yourself a new bt50. plenty of room and you wont miss your V8..
Oh,
You've thrown a spanner in the works. Initially, when I read your post I thought Yeah, whatever. Then I thought I'd google some reviews and was very pleasantly surprised. I think we get so stuck in our ways/thoughts. I'd never considered any other brand until now. I will try to find one secondhand I can take for a spin and who knows I may be a convert. The turbo diesel is apparently 147kw, 470Nm, but with a Sterling chip, they claim 190Kw, 555Nm. If that is correct and there are some aftermarket suspension bits available and the seating is good, then I might just become a convert. If you or anybody else owns one of these, please do your sales pitch on me. Reliability is also an issue.

Return to “HiLux”