Leaking hilux

Tough_91
Been here a while

Leaking hilux

Unread post by Tough_91 » February 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Hey guys
I own a 91 dual cab I live up on the sunshine coast and we've been getting a bit of rain lately.
I noticed just over the last few days that the rubber floor mat's have a small amount of water on them driver and passenger side has any else had a problem with leaking from the firewall?
How do I go about fixing?
Thanks

cac
Need to get out more

Re: Leaking hilux

Unread post by cac » February 26th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I'd start by checking all the grommets on the firewall....

replace any that are missing, and if there are holes in any of them, and/or wires poked through them, then a bit of silastic should do the trick....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

aaronriley90
Here and there

Unread post by aaronriley90 » February 26th, 2012, 10:24 pm

your windscreen rubber is probably leaking if not the firewall happens to every single hilux at some point in their lives, just run the hose all over the screen and get someone on the inside if it leaks mastic it up under the rubber

Tough_91
Been here a while

Unread post by Tough_91 » February 27th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Yer thanks boys I'll have to have a hunt up under the dash cause Im pretty sure it's coming through the fire wall just thought someone might have an idea of the most comin spot or spots it happens?

Hamlux
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Hamlux » February 27th, 2012, 5:27 pm

There are grommets in the firewall from the engine bay, and as I found (through one that was leaking) there are ones that go into the wheel arches for the indicators etc.
My problem was some knuckle head replaced the factory stereo antenna, and instead of using the existing path for the OEM coax, cut a monster hole in the indicator grommet and didn't seal it.
I only found it by chance, I was wiring in a new UHF and lifted the floor, and found the underlay wet
Cheers, Beers & 73!
de VK2MPJ

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » February 27th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Im gonna have to do the same with mine. I had a heap of water in my car after coming back from cape york and just thought it was cause of all the deep creek crossings we went through, Cleaned it all out and dried it up without really checking anything. Then after driving around for a while with some rain, noticed the underlay was all wet again. So it looks like my flooring will be coming back out. Just gotta get a couple days off and some good weather to dry it all out. I know where to start looking now.

dicko101
Here and there

Unread post by dicko101 » February 28th, 2012, 8:39 am

where do you get the new grommets from? mine is the same

Lux Wrecker
Been here a while

Unread post by Lux Wrecker » February 28th, 2012, 9:16 pm

All earlier model Hilux up to 1997 have problems with rusting out in the planum chamber where the pillars meet under the wiper cowl above the foot well, there are a few ways to see it
1. look up under the dash with a torch up in the corner you will see the rust
2. take the plastic inner guard liner off and look up above the top door hinge
3. take the wiper cowl off and look in towards the guard

to fix it can be a major job depending on how bad it is.
Hylux Heaven / 4x4 Heaven 3/102 Harburg Dr, Beenleigh Qld 4207, NO LONGER WRECKER - http://www.facebook.com/HyluxHeavenPtyLtd
http://www.4x4-heaven.net https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfew5474gq93ky0/Hilux%20Heaven%20Monthly%20specials%20Febuary%202014.pdf

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » February 29th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Well looks like my leaky water problem has been found....now i just gotta solve it....

SimHilux

Unread post by SimHilux » March 1st, 2012, 10:56 pm

Lux Wrecker wrote:All earlier model Hilux up to 1997 have problems with rusting out in the planum chamber where the pillars meet under the wiper cowl above the foot well, there are a few ways to see it

Mine had the same problem. cracked joints and sheet metal in that area from heavy wheelin'. Pain in the bum to weld properly then seal up.

simonj_smith
Here and there

Unread post by simonj_smith » March 4th, 2012, 3:32 pm

HEy mate, mine also leaks. Its a toyota thing not just lux's. My ole 60 series leaked, my cousin and both grandfathers 75 series leaked, my dads 80 same thing, bro's 79 series and now his new v8 cruiser ute and its brand spanker. They leak through the windscreen rubber..We just got me uncle to squirt some window sealer in under the rubber

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » March 5th, 2012, 3:39 pm

just had a quick look, Took the drivers side guard off and had a look around to see if i can see any real big rust wholes. Nothing that looked to major. Looks worse when I stick my head in underneath the footwell and look up. Looks like more of a gap and more rust.

Anyone that has had this issue before and repaired it, what method of repair did you use? and where and how did you get to it to repair it? Passengers side will be even more of a pain by the looks of it. Snorkel on guard and fan assembly in the footwell.

Nicholas68
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nicholas68 » August 22nd, 2018, 5:41 pm

SimHilux wrote:
March 1st, 2012, 10:56 pm
Lux Wrecker wrote:All earlier model Hilux up to 1997 have problems with rusting out in the planum chamber where the pillars meet under the wiper cowl above the foot well, there are a few ways to see it

Mine had the same problem. cracked joints and sheet metal in that area from heavy wheelin'. Pain in the bum to weld properly then seal up.

Hey, sorry to open up an old thread but in all my searching this is closest to the problem I have. Was it a big job for you to fix up?

Return to “HiLux”