View topic - steering off to right side after ironman suspension upgrade

steering off to right side after ironman suspension upgrade

Here and there

steering off to right side after ironman suspension upgrade

gud day to you all sirs, i have a 1995 model hilux ln106 solid diff front, have recently replaced all front and rear springs to standard ironman 2inch lift springs, shackles u bolts and bushes and shocks the whole lot to an ironman suspension softride, after installing i noticed i connot steer anymore to the right, found out the rear of the steering draglink bumps in to the u-bolts, for quick solution to the prob i heated the steering knuckle arm or the j-arm and bent it out a liitle bit to prevent the bump, no bump prob later but i noticed my steering is a bit off, when steering to the right no problem but when i steer to the left you have to steer a 90 degrees radius before the wheels turn its makes it a little bit uncofortable to drive, does a 2 inch strandard lift from ironman really like this, do i need to buy those adjustable draglinks, dont know what to do hope some of you have also experienced this, cheers to all and happy offroading...

Unread postby jglock » November 18th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Need to get out more

Re: steering off to right side after ironman suspension upgr

You need a dropped drag link
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Unread postby ERASER » November 18th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Admin

Did you fit the suspension?

Regardless of who did fit it, did you get a wheel alignment after making the suspension changes??

You should always do that after changing springs or arms etc (shocks should be OK tho) before you drive it any further than directly to the nearest wheel alignment centre. And they should pick up any hassles like that or at the least identify the steering & suspension settings and angles that'd let you see what was causing or contributing to steering problems like that.

Oh, and btw, it's never a good idea to resolve steering issues like that by heating and bending one of the arms, almost certainly the problem will be an installation issue or lack that will now be harder to rectify, and in all probability you will have severely weakened the arm you've heated and bent as well, probly warranting its replacement.

I'd suggest getting your vehicle to a good wheel alignment place (not just any tyre centre) ASAP! Don't drive it anywhere else cos it is almost certainly dangerous & you could be held culpable if anything occurs, and get it sorted as soon as you can.
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » November 18th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Here and there

thanks for the replies sir, no worries not planning in driving it on the road unless fixed the problem, have also a spare knuckle j arm like the one i bent. do i really need a dropped draglink for the 2 inch lift ? ived canvassed on ebay and some parts suppliers for hilux they only have droped dragling for 3 inches and up lift..

Unread postby jglock » November 18th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Admin

If you are hitting things, then yes, you do need a dropped draglink, or the whole lot's been put together incorrectly. Most vehicles with only 2" lifts will get away with it, but since most vehicles aren't built to exactly the same settings, which is why the steering and suspension settings all have a range of at least a couple of degrees or mm, you just might have got one that won't get away without the dropped draglink.

So certainly, check out the installation and make sure everything is absolutely correct, and if it is and bits are still bumping, then the dropped draglink sounds like the way to go.

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » November 19th, 2011, 12:11 am

Sometimes with a Hilux 2" lift you won't need a dropped draglink or an adjustable torque rod.

But if your steering J arm hits the U bolts then yes, you will need a dropped draglink.

Also Hilux drivers side, leaf spring U bolts are" flattened" so that the draglink does not hit the U bolt. Are yours flattened ??

Some 2" suspension kits when new are more like 3" until they settle in and with the Hilux solid front end the steering does hit until the suspension sags a little over time.

And as Peter said, you should never never heat steering components and rebend them - not advisable for the long term as it weakens components.

Unread postby SimHilux » November 20th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Here and there

I had this same prob so I cut one side off the bumpstop mount so the 'u' boult was 3mm closer to the spring, but that wasn't enough so I too heated and bent the 'j' arm, the 'j' arm is cast steel not cast iron(correct me if im wrong) so if you heat it slowly and let it cool even slower(i put mine in lime as this slows down the cooling process) it should be right and my ute got driven hard off road for 3 years before i sold it.
But on my new ute I thought f**k it and got a dropped draglink from locked up 4x4, much easier and prob safer.

Unread postby angusjones8 » November 22nd, 2011, 1:26 pm

Return to HiLux