Converting hilux petrol to diesel 2lt

Jimibarlux
I'm new, be nice!

Converting hilux petrol to diesel 2lt

Unread post by Jimibarlux » October 24th, 2011, 9:29 am

Hi wanting to convert my 84 3y petrol hilux 4x4 to 2lt diesel out of a 86 surf . I am just wondering what I'm going to bump into things like engine mounts and gearbox could some1 please help me.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Converting hilux petrol to diesel 2lt

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 24th, 2011, 12:41 pm

If you've got the donor diesel engine and all the ancillary bits for nothing, then it's probably going to be a time consuming but educational experience; but honestly, if you want to do this reasonably cheaply & quickly, you'll be better off selling the petrol and buying a diesel. Sure, it can be done and even has been done, but there are far more conversions like this planned & even started than ever get finished! It's never as easy or simple as it sounds, and there are a heap of little hassles & niggling issues along the way that make it a pain - and then you get around to trying to get it all legal & registered etc, & the need to deal with the Rego/Transp Dept bureaucracy & Ins companies. All that done, there's still going to be hassles with getting parts for your vehicle forevermore, cos the VIN won't match the bits you need for some parts & will be essential to identify the right bits.

Been there, done that, wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were really REALLY keen!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Jimibarlux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jimibarlux » October 24th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Yea ive got a full donor truck it's just independent in the front .I have got the time tools and money to convert it.just looking for some tech tips thanks.

josh00
Here and there

Unread post by josh00 » October 26th, 2011, 11:34 am

hey jimibarlux. ive got an 87 lux with the same petrol 3y motor in it. just wondering like is yours pretty slow? caue i cant/ dont really even like to do 110 km/h in mine haha :/

Jimibarlux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jimibarlux » October 26th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Yea like a slug.aded a 5th gear runs less revs nw.

josh00
Here and there

Unread post by josh00 » October 27th, 2011, 10:04 am

yeh mines a 5 speed already

Jimibarlux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jimibarlux » October 30th, 2011, 11:47 am

Just found out it is factory diesel 2l so it must of been converted to petrol . I wonder if that makes it easyer to convert back to diesel . Any 1have any knowledge of converions

gutlux03
Been here a while

Unread post by gutlux03 » November 7th, 2011, 9:35 pm

hey mate i did the same coversion at the start of the year, i had the petrol out and the diesel in and drove it out of the shed in three solid days....i had to cut engine mounts off and reweld them in a different position for the diesel that wasnt to hard though, i found the easiest way was to bolt the mounts on and then lower the engine into the engine bay and makre sure it was central before welding...also the bell housing is different so u will need to get a diesel bell housing to suit a G52 Gearbox, just the standard diesel lux box....the diff ratios will also be different, but if u are running 33s then the petrol ratios are the ones you want...as yours is ifs im not sure if the sumps are different i did the conversion in my solid axle lux so everything basically bolted straight in, the only othere thing that is different is the wiring, there isnt as much wiring for the diesel but the starter motor and alternator swap sides, if u have an auto electrician as a mate that would be handy, any other questions u have mate feel free to ask

good luck

HamishR
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by HamishR » June 25th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Gidday, I currently own a 1986 single cab 4wd hilux with a 2.0L petrol (3Y), i am wanting to swap it out for a 2.4D turbo (2LT). Does anyone have any information of these sort of conversions, what the differences are and changes that will need to be made? Cheers

Return to “HiLux”