View topic - Hilux Brake Issues

Hilux Brake Issues

Getting to know the place

Hilux Brake Issues

Hello all, I have a 1983 ln46 Hilux. Just got home from camping today towing a boat around through abit of water and sand. Got home all ok but went out to the dump and on the way home the brakes seemed abit spongy. I slowed down and stomped them fairly hard and the pedal went all the way to the floor slowly.

Would anyone know what might be the drama. Also if you pump the pedal you can get abit of braking but the pedal still just goes slowly to the floor

I changed my rear wheel bearings about a month or 2 ago and had to bleed the brakes my self but all has worked fine until today.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have seen a few Topics similar to this but i would like some advice for my exact situtaion.

Thanks
Nic

Unread postby Nicos » January 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm

Been here a while

Re: Hilux Brake Issues

sounds like u didnt bleed them properly, and some air was left in there. if the air pockets were high up in the break line, can take some time to reach the cylinders. so that might be the issue. try bleeding them again. also check you pads.
when mother nature says stop, we just lock the hubs
Luxxy build: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=117687

Unread postby lux45 » January 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm

Ok then no worries cheers for that.... I was about to ask if the air pocket can stay up in the line. Cheers Ill bleed them tomoro and let ya know

Unread postby Nicos » January 2nd, 2011, 7:24 pm

Been here a while

hi all,
generaly if you can pump them up the rear shoes are just out of adjustment. i have the some problem with mine whenever i go near the mud. would probably be worth checking shoes and drums for wear.
thanks
ross

Unread postby Ross_macker » January 2nd, 2011, 7:40 pm

Try adjusting your rear brake shoes via the adjusters (turn adjusters only about half a turn or approx 6 clicks upwards).

Also check for brake fluid loss in the master cylinder reservoir, at each wheel and caliper and at the load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV) located on rear right hand chassis rail.
You might have a faulty leaking seal.

Always bleed the brakes with 2 people. The one man bleeder kits are crap...

Try and use DOT 3 brake fluid with Toyotas (not DOT 4)

Bleed brakes in the following order.

1. LSPV
2. left rear (passenger side)
3. right rear brake
4. front left (passenger side)
5. front right

I have never had the need to bleed the master cylinder but you never know if its old and faulty.

Unread postby SimHilux » January 2nd, 2011, 10:35 pm

Part of the furniture

I was always told to bleed the LSPV last.

I bled the system on mine by myself, I used an empty coffee jar(glass), half filled with clean brake fluid, and a piece of clear hose from the bleed nipple to the jar, make sure the hose doesnt come out of the fluid in the jar.
Instead of sucking air up, it sucks fluid up instead.
Remember to only pump the pedal about halfway down when bleeding, and once the air bubbles stop, then tighten the bleed nipple and move on to the next one.
And dont let the fluid resovoir get anyless then half full.

Yes, 2 people would be better, but it can be done by 1.

Unread postby dudelux » January 3rd, 2011, 12:12 am

Thanks for all your advice I will jack her up today and give it a full bleed, hopefully its something simple and just abit of human error on my behalf. Thanks Guys will let you know how i go.

Unread postby Nicos » January 3rd, 2011, 9:26 am

Ok had another go at bleedind the brakes, Done the front and rear, But come to the LSPV. I cant seem to locate a nipple to bleed with, I have looked at other photos from other people and my car seems to be lacking the nipple, Its not that it has been smashed off or anything, Is it under the rubber boot, If not then im not sure what the go is.

Oh and still have the spongey brakes that go all the way to the floor, But it feels better. If you stab the brakes on and off then it pulls up alot quicker then before.

Unread postby Nicos » January 3rd, 2011, 8:01 pm

Avid Poster

Well check the rear shoe adjustment next. Take the rear wheels off with handbrake off and wheels chocked for safety and try to turn the drums by hand. The shoes have to sit quite close to the drum even though the front brakes do most of the work. If you can slide the drums off by hand, the rear brakes are too loose (but if you do get the drums off, it gives you the chance to see how to adjust the rear brakes, fiddly).

Drums are very good at retaining water and mud and sand which is then very good at wearing away shoes and drums.

Unread postby 894runa » January 4th, 2011, 8:05 am

Yeah Ok i pulled the rear drums appart and tightened them up checked for mud sand etc, I have checked all the brake system and re bleed the system. Still Cant find the Nipple for the LSVP.

Also just before I lost all Brakes the front left Brake seemed to be pulling a bit. I have checked all my pads for wear and look ok. Should I pull my from calipers appart and have a look?

Sort of Leaning towards getting a new master cylinder.

Unread postby Nicos » January 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm

I'm new, be nice!

Having the opposite issue , replaced the rear bearings and brake shoes, and also the front rotors and pads and bearings - now all my brake byass is to the rear , any suggestions? also replaced the master - new

Unread postby timachino » April 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Tim,

1. sounds like your rear brake linings are adjusted too much. Back them off a turn or two.

2. could be an airlock in the new master cylinder - bleed the master cyl where the brake pipes mate with it.

3. A faulty new master cylinder maybe ?

4. an airlock in the LSPV - bleed the LSPV.

4.Also there is a rod that joins the rear diff to the load sensing proportioning valve (LSPV) up on the chassis rail. Hopefully you did not remove or adjust the rod prior to changing brakes or raising your suspension but if so then it will need to be lengthened upwards an inch or so (easy to adjust).

Unread postby SimHilux » April 18th, 2012, 6:34 pm

ey guys i got a 99 hilux 4x4 no abs and i have SAME probs, nearly every time i go in the mud/sand/water i have to adjust my handbrake ?? :s

Unread postby jay-man-luxy » April 22nd, 2012, 9:27 am

Return to HiLux