seat belt beeper!! How do you turn it OFF!

Gotta Be a V8
Here and there

seat belt beeper!! How do you turn it OFF!

Unread post by Gotta Be a V8 » August 11th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I got the info on how to turn off the beeper in my 70 series ute. Now the old man has asked me to find out how to stop his in his 200 series. It is so annoying on the farm when you are in and out and poking around at about 30km per hour with it beeping off its head!! The sequence for the ute didnt work in the wagon :(

angusswq
Getting to know the place

Unread post by angusswq » August 15th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Hi mate

I just found a pet shop somewhere and bought a dog restraining seat belt type set up and cut the strap off, then when you're on the property just clip in the metal seat belt end. When you go to town you just pull it out and throw it in the console till you get back to the property. A mate cut one out of a piece of plastic which seems to do the same job... certainly beats that annoying damn beep beep beep in your ear.
Hilux TD Trayback
Landcruiser 200 TTD

safaris
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by safaris » August 18th, 2010, 9:33 am

Hi,
You can go to Toyota at your next service and ask them to de-activate it. The chime goes silent but the warning light on the dash still blinks. Toyota may try and tell you it can't be done but it can. I had to ask twice and it was done in 5 mins. No charge at service time. Cheers Rob

klevo
I'm new, be nice!

Re: seat belt beeper!!

Unread post by klevo » January 27th, 2012, 8:18 pm

There is no legislation that prevents a dealer from deactivating it however their ANCAP safety rating does prevent a car company allowing their dealers to do it as I have found out recently so the beep is annoying me even more now.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Re:

Unread post by boobook » January 28th, 2012, 5:54 am

safaris wrote:Hi,
You can go to Toyota at your next service and ask them to de-activate it. The chime goes silent but the warning light on the dash still blinks. Toyota may try and tell you it can't be done but it can. I had to ask twice and it was done in 5 mins. No charge at service time. Cheers Rob

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: seat belt beeper!! How do you turn it OFF!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 28th, 2012, 12:19 pm

After having taken more than one person to hospital cos they've been doing something in the vehicle around the yard or paddock at really slow speeds, or crawling thru a relatively shallow but murky creek in the bush, only to find out that even at very slow speeds, wearing a seat belt would've stopped them face planting the windscreen; I'm a great advocate for recommending that you put your seat belt on EVERY time you get in the car. Maybe it's excusable if you are only moving 2 metres or so, or getting in and out all the time; but even then, if you like your face/life/health - simple solution, seat belt, click clack, front and back!

Having to take a person to hospital with a completely shattered face that is likely to require years of surgery and a lot of plastic surgery before they even look human again IF they survive at all tends to focus your appreciation for wearing seat belts - even more so when this occurred simply because they weren't wearing a seat belt & their diff hit something, stopping the vehicle instantly & leaving them to travel face first thru the windscreen at a speed something less than about 10 kph. Low speed impacts with immovable objects are still extremely damaging for people, cos the person inside the car always tends to be somewhat softer & more vulnerable than anything else in there.

And guess what, putting your seat belt on not only minimises that risk, it almost always stops that beeper too! If your seat belt beeper beeps, it's reminding you not to be silly & take a pointless risk when it's so easy to avoid that risk almost entirely. Seconds of annoyance vs a lifetime of pain & disfigurement or maybe no more life - I know what I'd choose every time! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mudman105
Here and there

Unread post by mudman105 » January 28th, 2012, 1:09 pm

read your owners manual, there is about 20 different customise options that can be dealer set with simple use of the I.T. Including window up/down with remote, chime/beep options. Any dealer should be able to sort it for you.

Earp
Been here a while

Unread post by Earp » January 28th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Unfortunatley I grew up with getting a flogging if I Dad caught me driving at any time without a seat belt. Its second nature now. Its a pain in the a** when jumping in or out of the 4x4 for gates ect but its a habit I can't change.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 28th, 2012, 10:35 pm

We never had seatbelts on the toolbox that we sat on in the back of our 40 series table top. I used also put it into low 1st and get out, walking along side it and loading rocks onto the tray as we cleaned up the hay paddock. Ag bikes made a much more determined effort to kill and maim me; nothing like finding a wombat hole when chasing cows down a steep rocky hill.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » January 30th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Peter, while I absolutely agree with you, and I always ensure everyone has their seat belt on when driving, that is a different thing to the bloody seat belt beeper bleating at you whenever you are in the vehicle with the ignition on.

Eg you are charging the battery and not even in the vehicle while at a camp site, sitting waiting while winching and getting in and out. On the HF radio while idling etc. It is even distracting to the point of possibly being dangerous in some situations like reversing a trailer etc.

The light still flashes, and you can set it up so the passengers side beeps but not the drivers side if you wish.

For me though, silence is golden.

mudman105
Here and there

Unread post by mudman105 » January 30th, 2012, 5:36 pm

The seat belt beeper will only activate after you go over 20kph.... If you drive at 15kph you can drive all day without the beeps :)

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » January 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Incidentally, I was just thinking the other day that in/out vehicle operation was what killed Malcolm Douglas.

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » January 31st, 2012, 12:38 pm

mudman105 wrote:The seat belt beeper will only activate after you go over 20kph.... If you drive at 15kph you can drive all day without the beeps :)
I may be wrong, it is a while since I had mine changed, but doesn't it wait till 15kmph for the first time beeps, then it never stops till you kill the ignition after the first time. even if you are stopped?
nilla60 wrote:Incidentally, I was just thinking the other day that in/out vehicle operation was what killed Malcolm Douglas.
While it was in gear and running as I understand too. Errg very sad. I think you highlight the issue at point, complacency, possibly the same for Steve Irwin ( though I am not 100% sure of the facts there).

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » January 31st, 2012, 12:55 pm

I turned my seat belt alarm off in my Hilux, what annoys me more so is key-in-ignition alarm, for which there is no easy solution for other than put a blob of silicon on the beeper or tape it up or disconnect it entirely, or place a dummy plug (closed circuit) on the seat switch under the seat, which would easily resolve both issues on the driver's seat.

I presume you have an LCD display ODO, if so, you may be lucky and have the same method work with the Hilux. It took me a couple of goes, but I got it, you could at least try.

Hilux 05+ Seat Belt Alarm Disable/Enable:-

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake
2. Cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B )
3. Turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position
4. Get your seatbelt in your hand ready to put in
5. Turn the key to the ON position. when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds.
6. While still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.
7. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.
8. The process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off.

Once children frequently get in the car, I'll be sure to turn the seat belt alarm back on though.

Hope this works, otherwise Toyota will know.

Shakes

mudman105
Here and there

Unread post by mudman105 » January 31st, 2012, 5:26 pm

Boobook: they are programed to start beeping at 20kph and yes will only stop if the seat belt is buckled or Ign turrned off. But under 20kph they will not come on/beep

Shaker: The key alarm on your lux can be disabled by unplugging the wire at the key reader on the ignition barrell. Just remove the surround and you will see it. However it does have a couple side effects, new keys will be unable to be programed and your 'lights on' feature may not beep/work.

Again on a 200 the beeper can be turned off by a dealer.

Return to “200 Series”