What model is not an 8 seater

RASPUTIN
Been here a while

What model is not an 8 seater

Unread post by RASPUTIN » January 9th, 2016, 10:29 am

Hi,

Looking to sell my trusty old 60 series and upgrade to a 2nd hand 200 series spending about 60k. Big issue is I am seeing a lot of them with 8 seats. Well most of them other than the GX. I would prefer a GXL or Sahara.

Is this an option thing and also are they something that can be removed. If so what is the cost/process as I am reading they need to be blue slipped.

I don't want to pass up a good car just on the rear seat thing if they can be removed and caps or whatever can be installed to cover up all the mounting points.

Anyway looking forward from the answer from those in the know :).

Thanks in advance.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Re: What model is not an 8 seater

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » January 9th, 2016, 10:40 am

Third row seats are easily removed and are designed for that to happen - there are States that may require engineering (change seating capacity) if permanently removed but most do not require it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 9th, 2016, 11:06 am

This 'requires engineering' (or blue-slip) thing has been a furphy floating around for a loooong while now, and way back when, it was an issue for a few people/in a few states, but I believe it was resolved many years ago on an Australia wide basis. The key to the need for engineering was deemed to be in the term 'permanent removal' - so if you leave all the fitting holes etc (& seatbelts?) in place & don't get rid of the seats themselves, it's easy enough to take that 3rd row out & still have every intention of returning it to 8 seat configuration prior to selling it or or just at some time down track.... so you haven't permanently removed the 3rd row seats & therefore you shouldn't need engineering. :thumb:

We've taken the 3rd row seats out of all the Patrols we've had over the years, fitted drawers and all sorts of inserts in their place, but by following the guidelines our vehicles have been cleared for rego in every Aust State & Territory without any hassles regarding the non-permanent removal of the rear seats. There were often discussions & sometimes even heated arguments about other mods & their acceptability in some States (you'd think that Nationally, they could come to some agreement about what larger tyre sizes were legal, wouldn't you?! :rolleyes: ) but never anything about taking the 'designed to be removed/replaced as required by the manufacturer' 3rd row seats! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 9th, 2016, 11:07 am

This 'requires engineering' (or blue-slip) thing has been a furphy floating around for a loooong while now, and way back when, it was an issue for a few people/in a few states, but I believe it was resolved many years ago on an Australia wide basis. The key to the need for engineering was deemed to be in the term 'permanent removal' - so if you leave all the fitting holes etc (& seatbelts?) in place & don't get rid of the seats themselves, it's easy enough to take that 3rd row out & still have every intention of returning it to 8 seat configuration prior to selling it or or just at some time down track.... so you haven't permanently removed the 3rd row seats & therefore you shouldn't need engineering. :thumb:

We've taken the 3rd row seats out of all the Patrols we've had over the years, fitted drawers &/or all sorts of other inserts in their place, but by following the guidelines our vehicles have been cleared for rego in every Aust State & Territory without any hassles regarding the non-permanent removal of the rear seats. There were often discussions & sometimes even heated arguments about other mods & their acceptability in some States (you'd think that Nationally, they could come to some agreement about what larger tyre sizes were legal, wouldn't you?! :rolleyes: ) but never anything about taking the 'designed to be removed/replaced as required by the manufacturer' 3rd row seats! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “200 Series”