How many sensors compared to 100 series

shaking
Here and there

How many sensors compared to 100 series

Unread post by shaking » April 30th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Hi all.
Does any one know how many or the difference in sensor numbers (especially critical ones) between the 200 and 100 cruisers, currently drive a 200 but starting to worry about bush ability related to potential breakdowns. Was considering going back to a 100 but understand they still have multiple sensors that can play up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: How many sensors compared to 100 series

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » April 30th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Guess it depends on the motor hey.

A 200 series with a V8 diesel or petrol will have a lot of sensors (petrol maybe a few more).

The 1HZ in a diesel 100 has none really. Maybe a few for the EGR in the later ones.
The petrol 100 series has lots as you can imagine.
The Factory turbo 1HD-FTE has a fair few, but I hear they are pretty robust.

Personally, I wouldn't take a 200 to the bush. Not only because there are too many finicky things that could go wrong, and would be hard to diagnose, but they have all sorts of stuff hanging underneath (like rear AC evaporators) which could be damaged by sticks etc. I don't think they would really let you down as much as to make you walk, as I suspect the engine stuff has a lot of redundancy built into it, but still, it would cost a lot to fix if you did damage it with mud / water / dust / vibration.

Hard to beat a 1HZ in standard guise I reckon.

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » April 30th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Thanks jimmy
Sorry mate yes the diesel. Bought it on a whim, was about to buy a 76 but wifey thought the 76 was to basic, (rule 1 don't take wife to look at cars) so test drove 200, they are a fantastic 4by to drive, but now having second thoughts about bushability, how does the 76 fair in the sensor department being the same basic engine.
Thanks
Dom

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 30th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Yeah 76 and 200 will be fairly similar on the motor, the 200 will have a few more on the auto gearbox and airbags etc..

I wouldn't stress too much though more often than not it is the mechanical things that fail rather than the electrical.. I don't think I have heard of a computer failing other than if they get flooded, and generally they will go into a low power mode before they completely fail..

The 200 with the extra grunt and auto will likely do most things easier than the 76 so you won't have to work it as hard, meaning you are less likely to break things. There are plenty of 200 series cruisers that have covered most of the tracks in Australia so as long as you are prepared and the 200 is well serviced I wouldn't stress too much.

Have a read on lcool if you want to find out the major issues and prepare for them.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » April 30th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Thanks Stretch
I'll give it a fair run for the next 6 months or so, then make a decision on where to go from there, I do like driving it and it eats up the bush tracks. Not hard core tracks yet but good solid tracks. I don't have any problems with the capability only reliability.
If you read some of the stories going around you start to question the reliability as a tourer.
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » April 30th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Yeah but if that was the case nobody would ever go anywhere in a 3L (grenade) GU or take any landcruiser anywhere because they do front diffs and land rovers can't hold oil.. If you read enough everyone breaks things and there will always be a lemon or two.. As long as you are aware of the common flaws.. Eg the alternator on the VDJ motors is quite low and doesn't enjoy mud baths.. and you prepare accordingly then you can't do much more, what will happen happens :)

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » May 2nd, 2015, 1:35 pm

True stretch
Im not worried about CV's or alternators, like you say prep and spares will sort that out, im more thinking of sensors causing limp mode as ive already had a temp sensor send it into limp mode and that stupid key setup, its alright to have a little key in the side but it don't have an ignition key hole. Those sorts of stupid things that strand you.
If the stories are indicative of the problems then there aren't to many going wrong, plus that's why I bought a early model before all the new gadgets/sensors were added.
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » May 2nd, 2015, 3:36 pm

I am not a fan of Toyotas but I have to say that I think you are worrying about nothing - if something like a sensor does play up - as you say it does go into limp mode which is the ECU using default parameters for that sensor - the point is you are still mobile.

People blame the electronics in modern vehicles because it is the electronics that tell you there is an issue - in most cases it is an issue of just shooting the messenger as invariably the sensor and electronics will be just reporting a mechanical fault. The same sort that in an older vehicle with no electronics and sensors you may not even be aware of the issue until it is too late.

I have a vehicle that is more complex than a 200 series as far as electronics are concerned and I have never had a real issue. Plenty of rebooting the computers by switching off and then back on but nothing that did not fix itself.

Get out there and enjoy your 200 series - even if it is a Toyota.

I might add that my brother had a new V8 petrol 100 series and was glad to get rid if it. He then went to a F250 and the less said about it the better. He then bought a new 11MY 70 series V8 Diesel and was quite happy with it but was disappointed about its lack of power when loaded up. He sold it and bought a new MY14 200 series last year and is totally rapped in it. Only issue was a sagging front end - fixed with after market suspension and poor fuel consumption in normal use and when towing but other than that a great vehicle.

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » May 2nd, 2015, 3:51 pm

Ouch. Right to the heart Hobbit
Thanks mate and don't worry I am putting it thru its paces and boy does it have some. As the wife keeps saying I think to much (not saying that she is RIGHT mind you).
Anyway, thanks fellas for the feed back.
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » May 2nd, 2015, 4:01 pm

Sorry hobbit missed that last paragraph till after I pushed submit.
I don't mind the fuel economy 12.9/100 as ive got the 3" system on and love that note.
The sag was greater than I thought as the 2" lift gave me 115mm on the left front, must have been a lot worse than I thought.
I'll check the economy next month when the winch and roof rack go on.
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » May 2nd, 2015, 4:01 pm

Hopefully you have had your failure and the rest will go last, unless they get submerged most sensors should be pretty rugged.. I also would have thought that while there are plenty of sensors not that many would send it into limp mode..
Maybe your best bet is also prep eg get a scanguage so you can read and reset error codes then you have more hope of fixing any sensor issues in the field on the chance off chance they occur..

Funny you mention the key, I think the physical key is only for entry in the case of flat battery but I could be wrong..
But I remember being on a trip many years ago and we had one of the 80 series in the group end up immobilised for a while because the ignition jammed on the steering column and you couldn't unlock the steering wheel. Pretty sure it was not an entirely rare occurrence for the 80 series..

Haha and I know the thinking about things too much problem all too well :D

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » May 2nd, 2015, 4:20 pm

Hey Stretch
The key issue is one of the simple things I don't like, having a shocking short term memory means i'm gunna end up in a river with it in my pocket, well at least I can open the door to get a stubbie. Might have to cling wrap that sucker.
Trouble is you cant leave the spare key in the glove box or screw one under the bumper.
And yes a scan guage is on its way, great piece of kit that.
Ive had a few other probs with the 200 but that's another story.
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » May 3rd, 2015, 12:47 am

As I indicated above the main issue with the 200 series diesel is its poor fuel consumption. My RRS is the same size and weight but gives 7-8l/100km (or less) at 110kph on the highway where my brothers 200 Sahara gives around 13l/100 in similar conditions. He towed his 18' van a few weeks back through outback Qld and he was getting just over 20l/100km where mine goes up to 13l/100. I only have a single turbo 2.7TDV6 where he has the twin 4.5TDV8 so I have a bit less power and torque (about the same as the 70 series TDV8) but to the legal limit there is not much between the two.

As I said - just get out and enjoy - know your vehicle and its quirks, get a code reader/resetter (a scan gauge is sort of OK but is pretty basic at this) and ensure you have a good fuel card. Oh - make sure you have a good water catch/alarm in your fuel system - applies to all CRDs no matter what the make.

shaking
Here and there

Unread post by shaking » May 3rd, 2015, 11:51 am

can you recommend a scan tool, there is a few available but sound cheap, around the 50 mark. And that's good economy, I don't think I could get that even sitting on 80.
Dom
It is what it is.
Pedal down nose up.

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » May 3rd, 2015, 12:03 pm

Not really as most are brand specific - one suitable for my vehicle start at $400 and go up top around a $1000 but with the top end ones you can change a lot of settings - I have used a scan gauge on my car and while it might read some codes it doesn't do most and doesn't tell you what the code it. My Faultmate at least tells me what the code is and what the fault it and can clear them.

I doubt you will get anything suitable for $50 and if there is, it probably will not do much.

I suggest you go over to the Landruiser forum and ask there www.lcool.org/

Return to “200 Series”