where is your uhf in your 200 series?

tuffskid
Avid Poster

where is your uhf in your 200 series?

Unread post by tuffskid » September 4th, 2011, 6:08 pm

i just bought a uhf for my parents cruiser... its the 2 unit one so i only have to mount a small unit to the dash... wondering where some of you guys have fitted them and where you ran the wiring! pics would help thanks

NQCruiser
Been here a while

Re: where is your uhf in your 200 series?

Unread post by NQCruiser » September 4th, 2011, 7:29 pm

My UHF in the work truck. I didn't fit this one, but there is a small groove taken out of the facia where the UHF is mounted for the cables to run back inside the dash. I also have the electric brake controller mounted in the hole where the ashtray used to go.

To get into that area to fit it all, you have to pull those two padded peices of trim off either side of the centre dash (where your knees rest) and then undo the bolts that hold the Start button panel and his matching partner on the other side. There are some more bolts under there that allow you to undo the front of the centre dash and pull those panels out.

Have Fun!!!

tuffskid
Avid Poster

Unread post by tuffskid » September 4th, 2011, 8:05 pm

yer that's the spot that im looking at to fit it... i was wondering where to run the cables though... im not hooking it up getting an auto elec to do that... i hate electrics

olly
Avid Poster

Unread post by olly » September 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

I've got a GME 3440, the one with everything on the handset. And I mounted the unit behind the dash on the trans tunnel (read velcro'd to the carpet) and used the extension cable to bring the handset down the passenger side. The hanset is mounted on the dash up beside the glove box. I did mine this way as it kept the drivers side clear and usually while I'm driving the missus does all the talking.......don't tell her I said that.

You may be able to mount your unit in a similar way with the head unit on the passenger side of the tunnel. That way the area around the shifter and accessories sockets stays clear. Just a thought...

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » September 10th, 2011, 6:27 am

I have a 3440 too.

I mounted the body behind the rear heater controls in the back seat, at the back of the rear consol. 100% out of site.

To get to it grab the rear plastic housing which is the width of the consol, and firmly pull it backwards. It just pulls out with some force. You can run wires to it by tucking them up along the lower edge of the center consol. I also ran wires for cigarette outlets for kids electronic stuff in the rear at the same time.

You run the mike cord back toward the front in the same way as the power.

Hey presto. Still looks factory.

HEM19X
Been here a while

Unread post by HEM19X » July 7th, 2014, 6:51 am

Old thread but has anyone mounted their UHF in a roof console?

Thanks

Hem

Lookfar
Been here a while

Unread post by Lookfar » November 2nd, 2014, 8:16 pm

Yup, an old thread, just tripped over it.

I have an Icom F2010 UHF mounted in an Outback overhead console.
It is only programmed for 80Ch UHF at the moment.

Return to “200 Series”