Intermittent squealing noise fm under bonnet - any ideas?

thomo49
Here and there

Intermittent squealing noise fm under bonnet - any ideas?

Unread post by thomo49 » November 2nd, 2017, 4:30 pm

Hi everyone travelling around aus towing van everything good but every now and then when cold only there is a bit of squealing noise under bonnet take foot off for bit and it disapears i just want an idea what it is for next time we put it in for service they can fix it as i say its not there all the time just now and then or when it's cold cheers thomo49

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Intermittent squealing noise fm under bonnet - any ideas

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 2nd, 2017, 5:39 pm

Any chance it's fan, A/c drive, or pwr steering belt related? Does it only ever happen when one of those loads up?! ie, turning hard, a/c just starting cutting in, or when the viscous hub fan starts driving?? I wouldn't wait for a service, my bet would be that it's most likely one of those belts - check the tension & condition on them all & tighten or replace as applicable, & chances are the noise will be gone! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

thomo49
Here and there

Unread post by thomo49 » November 2nd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Thanks peter will check belts ect

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 2nd, 2017, 7:50 pm

Just a hint - loosen off any locking nuts before trying to adjust the tension screws/arms on the belts; trying to tighten the belts doesn't work anywhere near as well if you leave the locking nuts tight & you might even break the tension bolt if you try to turn it too hard without undoing the locking nuts. :o :petrified: Please don't ask me how I know this, just take it as read! :urgh: :p

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » November 2nd, 2017, 9:17 pm

I have a 100 series and had the same problem definitely the belts and only when cold.

Agree with Peter and please follow instruction on how to tension up the belts, very important.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

Return to “100 Series”