Long Term Big Service work on a 4.2TD - when & cost info?

Bruosk
Here and there

Long Term Big Service work on a 4.2TD - when & cost info?

Unread post by Bruosk » October 20th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Before I consider an early to mid 2000's 100Series with the 1HD-FTE motor, I would like to know the rough cost & work at what time & KM's that has to be done.

Injectors: How often do they get replaced & rough cost? I read 100,000 & 200,000KM & they cost a lot less than modern common rail.

pump: Does it get rebuilt or replaced? Every 200-300,000K? What rough cost?

Turbo: Same as above.

How many KM's until the Motor starts to noticeably become slower & weaker on power?

thanks

nilla60

Re: Long Term Big Service work on a 4.2TD - when & cost info

Unread post by nilla60 » October 22nd, 2016, 8:51 am

I can't comment on that motor specifically, but in my experience the family of motors and the one before are pretty similar. While it may not be the correct thing to do, there are likely plenty of vehicles getting around where the pump never gets a looked at unless it starts leaking (potentially more of an issue now with lower sulphur fuel, normal service is more about adjustment than any rebuild or replacement. You can usually get a bit more than 100k out of a set of injectors, but it varies, again not a big item. Adjusting valve clearances is a normal service item, but shouldn't be exxy. How long until the motor gets tired depends a bit on how well it gets treated. Any motor in factory trim should clock up 600k without any dramas if treated well, beyond that and chance breakdowns are a bigger factor (like valve train or head issues).

Slow and weak? Can't comment, my 1HZ seemed like a power house after my 2H. But I quickly got used to it and it is slow like any non-turbo motor.

Bigger cost over the long run is around 10 litres of quality oil and a filter every 5,000km. Maybe the single biggest cost and determinant for getting into the million kilometre club.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 25th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Thanks nilla.

I have never owned a Diesel & would probably prefer the older LC100 to a more modern common rail which sounds much more expensive with work on injectors & pump etc.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 26th, 2016, 2:18 pm

The more modern ones common rail and HEUI you can chip them tho, for serious gains at minimal costs. You pass that up if you go for the older manual pumps & injectors.
Not saying that chipping them is necessarily a good thing BUT a lot of the young bucks seem to like the idea a lot.

Return to “100 Series”