just bought 105 - how to make it more 'donk' like?

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

just bought 105 - how to make it more 'donk' like?

Unread post by jfoldbar » September 3rd, 2016, 5:47 pm

hi guys.
a mate of mine has just bought a 105. since im the mechanic between us i done the shopping for him.
was a hard choice between 80's and troopys ect but i saw this 105 that looked too good. lets hope i was right.
so its an 06 with 300k. body and inside is superb. drives awsome. 2" lift, spare wheel carrier 2 batteries. $17k

so from what i can tell about the only difference between his 105 and my 80 is a tad more electronic fuel wise, and an egr.

what stuff can i/he do to make it more 'donk' like. i dont like the thought of all the extra gizmos like egr so wanna piss that off.

any other ins and outs you guys can share with me.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: just bought 105 - how to make it more 'donk' like?

Unread post by typhoeus » September 6th, 2016, 9:30 pm

You can blank the EGR off, but its not advisable to remove entirely, as you may find it wont pass inspection. If its just blanked off, no one can see. . . A good tune will help with fuel economy etc, what motor is in it?

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » September 9th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Yeah I'd be blanking the EGR for sure. You can also remove the immobiliser off the IP to make it a true "one wire" engine. The immobiliser sometimes fails and it can create an intermittent (or only when hot I think) starting issue. The pre update (<08/2002) had no EGR btw. Join LCOOL for a lot of good info.

Quite a good price btw - was it a standard or GXL? What sort of lift?

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » September 9th, 2016, 5:30 pm

thanks for the replies. its the standard.
i dunnow what brand lift it is, it may even be a 3 inch. i havnt bothered to compare measurements to my 80. im actually a bit jealous that i found hime such a good buy.
it has had the drivers seat changed at some time so its really comfy. its in such good nick inside that it still has a bit of new car smell.

i notice that the whole chassis is almost idential to my 80, but for a bull bar sake the front section of chassis is slightly different. on the 105 the crossmember is a tad further forward than the 80, meaning some 80s bull bars wont fit without a slight mod.
ive checked out the lcool site. its info seems quite standard. couldnt find anything about the ip immobiliser. i actually remeber reading stuff about it on this forum mayby 1 year ago but because it didnt concern me at that time i didnt take much notice, and i tried to find that thread a few days ago and couldnt.

one thing i dont like about it is there is no fuel gauge for the second tank. how are you supposed to know when its nearly out?

worst part is now my wife is pissed that we have an 80 and i found good 105 for him. nag nag nag

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » September 9th, 2016, 9:30 pm

jfoldbar wrote: worst part is now my wife is pissed that we have an 80 and i found good 105 for him. nag nag nag
what's bad about that - take her up on it! There are always good deals if you look hard enough. Although do you have an HDJ80? Sometimes I wish we did, but the lack of airbags killed it for my wife otherwise I would have been looking for one. HDJ105s do turn up occasionally too.

LCOOL has a lot of good info I find, you just have to know how to use the search function properly - make sure you select "search for all terms". The mods can be a bit touchy about new posts if there's an old post with the same stuff which gets a bit old but it doesn't stop it being the best place for 100, 80 and 70 stuff I've found. If you tell me your username I'll PM the links to some good immobiliser threads. I'm thinking of doing it myself sometime.

The fuel gauge switches over to the sub tank when you hit the change over button. At least it should - if it doesn't there's a fault.

I was really wanted a standard but we did need the 3rd row seats and after a lot of research I found it was there was no legal way in NSW to put them in and sit adults in them. But I was liking the front 3/4 passenger seat, part time 4wd and vinyl rather than carpet. Even worked out it's easy to fit central locking and electric windows (pretty welcome with kids and a hectic life).

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » September 9th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Here's a thread on the immobiliser. Some people have been able to drill it out in-situ by removing the oil filter to make room; I found the bolts to be 8.8 or something and very hard to drill. In the end I got the local diesel place to puck the pump and drill the bolts out in a press. Other than that it is a plain ol' 1HZ.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 7&t=127333

When you flick the sub tank switch, the fuel gauge registers for the sub tank. Just remember that you switched across from the main because it was empty.

If it has a factory snorkel, pull it out and re-do the joins with sealant. Some mucking around required to get the through panel joint watertight.

1640hunter
Here and there

Unread post by 1640hunter » September 10th, 2016, 11:28 am

that post is good however it turns out most people on it have got the work done by an injector place. I prefer to only have others work on my car if it's absolutely unavoidable. I think discussing the bolts is a red herring - chiselling it off is the DIY way to go. I've had a few 1HZ injector pumps off but all up I think it would be quicker/easier to "gently smash" it off...

Having said all that I'm going to wait for mine to start showing signs before I do anything - it's intermittent for a while and you can get round it by cooling the immobiliser for a get around or waiting for it to cool as a last resort
Last edited by 1640hunter on September 10th, 2016, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » September 10th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Yeah, that'll work. You can see from the pics that there's not too much drama to be caused inside the unit if you chisel it off carefully. I also think if you drill through the side at the right point it should be possible to loop a wire around the solenoid terminal and get enough power to get out of grief.

I got maybe half a dozen trips before the unit packed it in entirely and no amount of cooling helped.

Cheers.

Return to “100 Series”