What sort of fuel use across the Simpson - 100Ser V8?

troopynewby
Here and there

What sort of fuel use across the Simpson - 100Ser V8?

Unread post by troopynewby » July 11th, 2016, 9:06 pm

I've tried every search function I know, with no clear answer.
I have a petro 4.7 Lt V8 wagon. I am planning a Simpson desert crossing, east to west. I have a roof top tent, so not towing a trailer. I would like to know how much fuel other people with 100 series petrol V8's have used to cross the Simpson.
Cheers

troopynewby
Here and there

Re: What sort of fuel use across the Simpson - 100Ser V8?

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 8:56 am

Jeez Shaun, you might be the first bloke to take a V8 100 series across the Simpson.

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 8:58 am

You could be right Shaun, I know I didn't pass another one out there.

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 9:00 am

Well Shaun, being the first bloke to take a V8 100 series across the Simpson. How did it go & for anyone else wondering about fuel consumption, how much fuel did you use.

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 9:29 am

Well mate, I loved it. The cruiser had no problems at all. The only place I used low range was going up Big Red. Other than that, it was only in high range with the rear locker engaged & the transfer case locked. It was actually easier that I was expecting, Research told me that going East to West was the harder way due to the steeper angle of the sand dunes on the eastern side. Not on this trip, the western face of the dunes was a lot more cut up, I could here heaps of people over the radio getting stuck traveling west to east. As far as fuel goes, 580 klm. 155Lt. Birdsville, Poeppels corner, Knowles track, WAA, Purnie Bore, Dalhousie Springs, Dalhousie Ruins, Mt Dare via Bloods Creek.

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 9:33 am

:sillywink:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2017, 10:33 am

Glad to hear that you had a good trip Shaun, what with being the first to take a 100 Series V8 across 'n all, :thumb: & sooo pleased that someone here could help you with fuel use info too! :o

You certainly aren't wrong about those Western dune faces being cut up; more & more of that sort of track damage is the result of tossers still running Highway tyre pressures in the sand, despite the signs, & then they compound that by leaving their 4by's in 2wd so they can boast that they 'did the Simpson in 2WD' to all their widdle mates who have no f'n idea about real 4Wheeling anyway (cos there's precious little left in this country!) - but they don't consider for a moment all the others who now get to follow them & hafta negotiate the ripped up tracks, holes, & ruts they've collectively dug on their way thru!! Idiots!! And then they're usually the first at complaining cos their 'favourite 4WD tracks' get closed due to all the track damage! :mad:

Still, thanks for the 'trip report' anyway, only where are the pics??! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 17th, 2017, 8:13 pm

I ran 20 psi all round as soon as I got off the bitumen. Without exaggerating, I probably didn't put the boot into more than half a dozen times. The old girl just cruised everywhere. Auto is awesome in the sand.
Pics, got plenty. But Photo bucket now locks my comp up.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2017, 9:06 pm

The torque from that V8 running thru the auto really makes everything feel soooo smooth & easy, doesn't it?!? Especially when the torque converter does its 'torque multiplier' thing as you juuust squeeze the throttle a touch past idle & the lowered pressure in your tyres makes for fantastic traction with tons of torque on tap pulling you up & over any obstacle!! Nothing much can really match that feeling, can it?!? :D

As for posting pics here, just open the full editor 'Post Reply' screen, then if you've got the picture files on a drive/directory in your PC or other device that you arecusing to type the post out on, you should be able to upload them as attachments directly to the Forum by clicking on the 'upload attachment' button which is just under 'Save draft, Preview, & Submit' & to the right of the Options tab in the 'post a reply' screen.

Open the upload attachments tab, then Choose File direct from your directory or photo library/gallery etc, before hitting 'Add the file'. AFAIK, the only other thing you might need to do is crop or re-size the pic in your own editor before trying to attach it directly to your post! That way, you can avoid photobucket or other hosting software entirely. :thumb:

Ps: Please DO check out the Terms & Conditions & Publish Consent links right down the bottom of the page before putting up any pics; I don't think there's really anything much to concern you in either doc, but YOU should make that decision yourself, rather than just taking anyone's word or even a 'best guess' about that! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

troopynewby
Here and there

Unread post by troopynewby » July 18th, 2017, 10:03 pm

I'm computer illiterate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 19th, 2017, 9:21 am

Doesn't matter how computer illiterate you are, those are still some Great Pics! :thumb:

Thanks for posting them! ;)

Return to “100 Series”