Headlight Globes - Help needed picking BRIGHT replacements?!

axlcorro
Here and there

Headlight Globes - Help needed picking BRIGHT replacements?!

Unread post by axlcorro » July 6th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Hi, prior to my trip last weekend I replaced a blown low beam globe in the 100 series, auto shop replaced both globes with PHILLIPS HB4 EXTREME VISION +100%, but the brightness wasn't as good as the old globes! While travelling along the Hume Hwy at night on low beam it was near impossible to see the road; at $90 from AutoBarn I and my passenger were very disappointed. The globes that I replaced were 9004 HB4 u SYLVANIA GLOBES, that I presume were original. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to replace these with, WITHOUT the expense of upgrading wiring please. High beam suggestions as well. Thanks Peter.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: Headlight Globes - Help needed picking BRIGHT replacemen

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 16th, 2016, 8:22 pm

I'm running the Narva plus 120's; they seem to be fantastic.

Your best bang for buck would probably be to replace the reflectors?

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » August 13th, 2016, 8:59 am

thanks Aaron, ive just heard some talk about HIR globes that are nearly twice as bright but need no wiring upgrade as they dont get as hot.ARB are getting back to me to see if they can get them for me otherwise EBAY,GE, TOSHIBA can send them to australia. WHY IS IT so hard to find them here .

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 13th, 2016, 12:18 pm

It might pay you to check out the LED replacement globes that are slowly gaining inroads here after taking the rest of the world by storm - my 'bike headlights came optioned with OE HID for highs but neither Hi nor Lo was set-up properly for AUS roads & conditions (lo beam was yellow by comparison to everything else but less than pitiful at the best of times while hi beam was virtually un-usable anywhere but on the Nullabor!) Fitting better/brighter Lo beam globes just meant that everyone though I was on Hi all the time, but was the only way I could see more than about 30 metres up the road on a clear night!! Then the local LED bloke found replacements that went into both Hi & Lo as plug & play replacement fittings & both now work fantastically - they have a clear white light that's easier on the eye than the HID's; gives just as much range & better penetration under almost all conditions; they readily aimed up properly; have little glare or scatter at all (& far less on Hi!); and the Lo beam cut-off is like a knife, so no-one ever mistakenly thinks I've got my brights on instead of lo beam, either! :thumb:

LED's have come a long way in the last year or so!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » August 16th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Thanks Peter. Good tip! Might check that out myself.

Return to “100 Series”