hzj105 will not crank over - no power! Any fix ideas?

geraldton toyota hj61
I'm new, be nice!

hzj105 will not crank over - no power! Any fix ideas?

Unread post by geraldton toyota hj61 » May 21st, 2016, 5:06 pm

hey, I have a o4 hzj105 std which has been having problems starting for the last few days. The engine would crank slowly like a flat battery and the dash lights seemed to flicker when it stopped cranking. Today it got worse. When trying to crank all the electrics die like there is no power. I have to turn the key off for it to come good again. I have recharged the batterys and load tested; it all good - and I have tried a battery from another vehicle and still got the same result! Can anyone help? Thanks

nilla60

Re: hzj105 will not crack over. no power?

Unread post by nilla60 » May 21st, 2016, 9:18 pm

Try jump starting from another vehicle (good heavy duty leads) and run the negative to the block in your vehicle. That'll help diagnose earth issues.

geraldton toyota hj61
I'm new, be nice!

Re: hzj105 will not crack over. no power?

Unread post by geraldton toyota hj61 » May 22nd, 2016, 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. i tried jump starting as as above. cranked over slowly but when stopped the dash stayed lit up like normal. then tried placing the jumper lead from the negative terminal in the car playing up to the engine in the same car. cranks fine but the jumper lead started to smoke so stopped. im guess i have an earth problem. the vehicle is ex mine spec has duel battery setup and has a battery isolator switch fitted and some of the earth leads have be moved. is there a way to test the isolator. thanks

nilla60

Re: hzj105 will not crank over - no power! Any fix ideas?

Unread post by nilla60 » May 23rd, 2016, 12:16 am

You should be able to disconnect the cables from the isolator and just bolt the appropriate cable ends to bypass, even if temporarily. Be sure the cabling is in good condition and you join the correct cabled, shorts/faults on battery leads do cause vehicle fires. Highly recommend exploring the dual battery setup and its condition if there is any doubt.

A guy I know did a stint in an iron mine as an auto 'leccy and said that the iron ore dust was a pain, fine enough to get into electricals and conductive enough to cause difficult to find gremlins.

Return to “100 Series”