Oil Pressure Gauge in 105 Series- is this normal setting?

MattyChe
I'm new, be nice!

Oil Pressure Gauge in 105 Series- is this normal setting?

Unread post by MattyChe » February 12th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Hi - Just got my 2003 LandCruiser 105 series (HJZ engine, non-turbo), and noticed the oil pressure gauge sits just over quarter mark on the gauge. Only driven through the suburbs, not even got it on the highway yet, let alone off-road etc. Spoke with Mechanic who thinks this is all ok and will do a pressure test next service just for piece of mind. Heard that oil pressure gauges in these models are notoriously 'iffy'. However, given I have nothing to compare the level / gauge to, I just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on this. Do I have a problem? Should I be worried? Maybe this is just the normal setting on the gauge? Thanks in advance.

nilla60

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge in 105 Series- is this normal setting

Unread post by nilla60 » February 13th, 2016, 8:01 am

Mine sits around that mark at idle, but jumps up to around 3/4 at when giving it a decent amount of revs.

The convention for gauges is for the needle to sit horizontal in the most "normal" state. My 105 is the same with the needle more of less flat when doing much beyond idle.

If there is an issue (not that likely), the previous owner has probably already been driving it around like that for months anyway.

MattyChe
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by MattyChe » February 21st, 2016, 7:13 pm

Thanks nilla60

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » February 23rd, 2016, 1:35 am

Bought my 105 with 40 000 km on it, has now done 270 000km. Always sat on about quarter to half. Noticed 6 months back in the 110 km zone up the coast the oil pressure was dangerously low. When I backed off it came back up. Decided it was the sender unit. 6 month later I havnt changed the pressure sender out yet but the thing reads anywhere from no pressure to half depending on what day it is. It will also fluctuate from 0 to half at the same speed and revs on the highway within 5 minutes.....yeah, I'll fix it one day (yawn).

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » February 23rd, 2016, 4:38 pm

You could always insert a brass T piece into where the oil pressure sender switch is located on the engine!.
Then re insert the pressure sender switch into one end of the T Piece so you still have your electronically activated (by the sender switch) dash gauge.

Then with the other end of the T piece - insert a actual oil pressure operated tube to a oil pressure gauge (like the old Smiths gauges), and get a proper oil pressure reading in PSI or whatever, so that you physically KNOW for 100% sure what oil pressure you actually have!

Its a lot easier to then compare the REAL oil pressure with manufacturer specs.

In the bad ol days there was just a red light on the dash for low oil pressure so you didn't know you had a problem til the damage was already done!.

BUT sender units can up and die on you and give pretty ordinary readings being electrically operated - bad earth connections etc will play havoc with where the needle sits!

I always like to know the actual pressure.... but I am old school.

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » February 25th, 2016, 1:51 am

I used to be that picky but no time these days to muck about doing that. As long as I can see there is positive pressure. I'm happy.

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » October 24th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Quick update on this one. I have changed back to a semi synthetic oil. (RX super to J Max) and oil pressure guage has been fine again since.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » October 26th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Oil pressure doesn't matter, until you haven't got any!

My T Diesel, has 2 oil pumps!.

This low pressure pump for all the bearings journals etc

&

The HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) swash buckle style for the injectors!

Oil and oil pressures are critical to this style of engine, and are the difference between life and death of the engine.

No room for complacency when your dealing with engines like this...when it comes to oil.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » October 29th, 2016, 9:49 pm

The 80 series engines (same as in your 105) have a common tendancy to read incorrectly due to the transducer.

Get a new gauge, and it will probably change. Alternatively, fit an aftermarket one or get your mechanic to check it.

More than likely its fine; just reading incorrectly

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Return to “100 Series”