Main & Sub Tank Issue Fuel Pump??

jimmmyange
Getting to know the place

Main & Sub Tank Issue Fuel Pump??

Unread post by jimmmyange » December 23rd, 2015, 6:39 pm

Hi,

Today i noticed that my 100 series was stalling again and again. Thinking my car was stuffed i put the car to my Sub tank and there she goes she was back up again and going. Before when the car was on the main tank it would slowly stall and loose power when i accelerated. When i switched to the sub it was back to life?? Is this a fuel pump issue with my main tank? Do these cars have 2 fuel pumps that are identical? I want to know so i can claim some dealer warranty on this. Thinking i have to only use my 50 l sub tank for now!

Should i just buy another fuel pump and bring it to a mechanic!?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281764413767 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Will take all the help i can get,

James

nilla60

Re: Main & Sub Tank Issue Fuel Pump??

Unread post by nilla60 » December 23rd, 2015, 11:08 pm

Sounds more like an issue with the the fuel solenoid or breather. The part you are linking to is the common fuel filter assembly that both tanks are connected to via the switch valve. I'd be making sure the breathers are clear and not blocked or kinked first.

jimmmyange

Unread post by jimmmyange » December 24th, 2015, 12:20 am

Is that hard to get to in the vehicle or should i just get a mechanic to look it over.

Thanks for the reply,
James

Gordo450

Unread post by Gordo450 » December 31st, 2015, 5:23 am

Ive got the same issue with my '02 TD, except it is more noticeable on start up. From what I can gather a common problem is the fuel solenoid can get stuck between tanks, causing the fuel line to suck in a gutful of air from the other tank. I initially thought it was dirty fuel we had purchased on a trip back in June, I replaced the fuel filter and the problem disappeared for a few months but recently returned.

The engine management light has been coming on the dash too when it occurs, which im getting mixed answers on whether you can extract the fault codes from a diesel or not.

jimmmyange

Unread post by jimmmyange » December 31st, 2015, 8:48 am

It's a tricky scenario

Return to “100 Series”