SMOKE COMING FROM GEAR LEVER BOOT

axlcorro
Here and there

SMOKE COMING FROM GEAR LEVER BOOT

Unread post by axlcorro » December 4th, 2015, 8:07 am

after driving on the highway for about an hour ,an oily-grease smell then followed shortly after by a small but continous amount of dark coloured smoke started comming out or the gear lever boot.i pulled over, looked under the truck but could find nothing.i then went to a country town mechanic who put it on the hoist,checked gearbox and transfer case oils both of witch seemed ok,i then called my mechanic in melbourne who the spoke to this mechanic, the conclusion was i could keep on driving .i drove for another 5 hours with a very small amount of smoke and smell then returned to melbourne( 6hours). before i take it to toyota does anyone have an idea of what it could be. i know the 100 series v8 manual have 2 rubber boots that can split but i am concerned about the smoke. it doesnt seem to smoke at slow speeds around the city but the smell is still present.
2003 100 series v8 manual-- THANKS in advance PS--the only work ive had done on the truck since this started were gearbox and diff breathers.

vtssdude
Here and there

Re: SMOKE COMING FROM GEAR LEVER BOOT

Unread post by vtssdude » December 4th, 2015, 9:25 am

Does it smell like oil smoke or rubber smoke?
Either there is an oil leak that is dripping onto the exhaust pipe, or something rubber is touching your exhaust?
How well secured at the breather hoses?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 4th, 2015, 9:28 am

^^ Good start! Going on, How many kms has this vehicle done?? Is it still running well, with no loss of compression or hard start issues at all? Have you checked all the intake & exhaust plumbing on the engine, as well as any crankcase vents/EGR/catch can plumbing type stuff that your vehicle may have fitted?? Any leaks or blow by escaping the engine or plumbing?

I think you'd be surprised at how much airflow from the around the engine ends up running down the trans tunnel, & how much of that (& anything it collects along the way) will get up into that lever boot area - so if your engine is venting blow by or oily exhaust, etc, it's not impossible for it to end up doing exactly what you've experienced!! And even if those boots aren't split, rarely are their seals absolutely air tight, so there is a good chance that air/smoke from anywhere under the bonnet or trans tunnel can get forced (or sucked!) into the cabin!! :eek:

That said, another possibility is that the 'packing' around the gear levers under the boots could be overheating & possibly even beginning to smoulder once they get hot enough!! Or that some of the electrical cabling that runs along/thru the trans tunnel area is shorting or overheating & letting the critical electrical 'smoke' escape from the wires!! So if you can't readily find a source of the smoke under the bonnet/ trans tunnel, it might pay to remove all the consoles & boots etc, peel back the floor covering, & very carefully inspect the whole area for potential issues. :ooh:

One 'good' thing (if you can call it that!) about smoke is that it generally does have a source, so it's just a matter of looking for the telltale leaks, brown stains, or scorch marks..... :purplex:

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » December 4th, 2015, 10:58 am

its not a rubber or electrical smell,more like oil or grease smell,nothing touching exhaust,17000 klms on clock and starts and runs great with plenty of power.i cant see if breathers are attached tightly.on the weekend ill have a closer look at any oil-grease leaks.i know very little about cars but i did notice the tail shaft!!!was very very hot to touch but maybe thats normal.im an old large size guy so getting under the truck is quite difficult for me . no oil leaks on the driveway.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » December 4th, 2015, 4:47 pm

I once had a small amount of angst when I went for a drive and got some ugly burning oil/grease smell a little after engaging 4wd on my 60 series.

Turned out to be that I'd been a bit too enthusiastic with the grease gun, no dramas until it was a hot day, I engaged the front shaft and with some higher speeds, grease started getting flung from the uni joints onto the hot exhaust.

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » December 7th, 2015, 4:47 pm

i had a good look on the weekend and didnt see any oil leaks or grease spray underneath,engine bay the same. having a mechanic check it out on the hoist friday arvo . i always seem to get the problems that are hard to diagnose and hasnt happened to anyone else. thanks again for your help. :irked:

fastwrx

Unread post by fastwrx » December 8th, 2015, 11:01 am

I'd be more worried when the smoke stopped :)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 8th, 2015, 11:15 am

If you've excluded the simple &/or obvious things, then you hafta look a bit harder. Possibly the grease in the uni joints of the tail shaft is burning out because they are partially seized (or something...) Your tailshaft shouldn't get too hot at all - warm maybe, due to heat transfer from the engine & exhaust etc; but if it's 'hot' to the touch of an ungloved hand, something is over heating & making it that way!!

I suspect if you check the uni's you'll find they are low on grease or dry & dead already, & if you find the cause of the heat, you'll probably find the cause of your problem & the smoke! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

axlcorro
Here and there

Unread post by axlcorro » December 8th, 2015, 3:57 pm

thanks again,the car is constant 4wd and it seems that the front shaft has some play in it and the both get very hot.
Peter, i will let the mechanic know what you suggested.

Return to “100 Series”