100 series electrical problems

V8 power
I'm new, be nice!

100 series electrical problems

Unread post by V8 power » December 9th, 2013, 10:46 am

My 100 series kakadu land cruiser has an electrical problem I just cannot shake. First the taco stopped working, then my speedometer cut out as well, been to Toyota multiple times, Toyota cleaned the junction box connections behind the kick panels, I have also checked the speedo sensor and the crank angle sensor and all visible earth connections in the engine bay all seem to be OK. Now taco and speedo are working but when drivers door is opened the taco and speedo needles twitch. When the car is stationary sometimes the speedo is reading 6km/hr and taco is reading 100 rpm. If anyone has dealt with this before please let me know what you did to solve the problem.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: 100 series electrical problems

Unread post by mydmax » December 9th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Although Toyota technicians have cleaned terminals, did they check the earthing of the various negative lines to the bodywork???? Sometimes an earth tag looks perfect, is clean and appears securely bolted to the body but is all sitting on paint and the little contact it had is now slightly corroded/arced and allows voltage levels from other item to affect the current flow in some units.

For starters,
Find and check all the earth tags, unbolt them and clean them so metal to metal contact is assured.

V8 power
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by V8 power » December 9th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Hey mate thanks for the reply, I only found two earths underneath the bonnet and I cleared the paint from both of them thinking along those lines. i also cleaned all the battery terminals, the problem is still there. It appears to be somewhere in the dash. Would there be earths behind the dash connected to the body?

lucas2911
Been here a while

Unread post by lucas2911 » December 10th, 2013, 7:43 am

Play with the wiring loom around the door & get someone to watch the gauges! Sounds like a possible pinched wire in the wiring between body & door? I had a similar problem with mine, but mine is a bit older; was wires crushed in the door rubber boot. Good Luck!!

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 10th, 2013, 9:50 am

V8 power
As well as checking what lucas has mentioned, YES there are earths under the dash, usually under the kick panel on both sides.
They are the earths for dash gauges and flasher and relays, dash gauge check light system etc.
It can't be the battery terminals as it is starting.

Because of the door opening situation it would seem to be the loom is moving and the earth is also flapping or some power wire is trapped where it shouldn't be so it's touching something else.

I have seen 'under dash/kick panel' items like relays which have had their own wires crushed by the fixing bolt for that relay...

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » December 10th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Do you have a roof rack? Are all of the mounts sealed? There could be a possibility of water getting thru the roof and down to the kick panels.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

V8 power
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by V8 power » December 16th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Thanks fellas for your replies, I will spend a day fiddling with it, now I have a good idea where to start looking. I will let you all know how I go!

Paj123
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Paj123 » January 17th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Hi V8 Power,

I am dealing with the exact same issue with a 100 series Kakadu landcruiser. It is exactly as you describe. Did you ever end up finding a solution to the problem?

Cheers

Selmemo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Selmemo » February 27th, 2018, 12:47 am

Hi all,
Did anyone of you find any solution? I have a HZJ105 -03 with exactly the same symptoms, and do not know where to begin.
cheers
Selmemo

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 27th, 2018, 9:17 am

The OP on this thread, V8 power, remained active for a year or so after the posts above, but never did let us know how he went or told us the outcome, altho we can assume that the info given allowed him to identify & sort his issues; then he stopped visting once a Forum 'upgrade' made access via mobile phones & small devices somewhat difficult - we haven't seen him since late 2014/early 2015, so I don't know if you'll ever get a response from him?!?! :(

However, we have quite a few threads & many posts relating to pretty much exactly these issues, basically all caused by water leaks coming from the bottom corners & surrounds of the windows or down the A pillar from the roof rack mounts into the back of the dash &/or those kick panels & corroding the earth's & the back of all the fuse panels & electrics in there!! You need to remove the fuse boxes etc from the panels they are mounted on & check in behind them in order to find & remedy the corrosion that is the likely cause - looking at them from what you can normally see rarely reveals anything, but the underside/bits hidden from normal sight are where the problems are most commonly found!!

And like I said, there are quite a few threads all discussing the same symptoms & all coming back to the same source of the problems, corrosion of the panels, earths, & underside of the fuse boxes & electricals, all caused by water leaking down into the cavity behind the kick panels & back of the dash - solution, fix the leaks allowing water to get in there (A panel & roof rack mount leaks & sometimes cracks in the metal; &/or windscreen surrounds & drains) and then remove & rectify all the corroded contacts & terminals, earth connections, fuse blocks etc in & behind the kick panels/back of the dash area. ;)

Good luck! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Selmemo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Selmemo » March 3rd, 2018, 9:17 pm

Thank you Peter for your answer! I will start searching in those areas as soon as the temperature is a little bit better (I live in Sweden).
I will also try and search some more here on the forums, but it is a little tricky since I do not know the correct English words for everything.

Return to “100 Series”