MERCEDES ML270 - any good?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
danieldohrman
Been here a while

Unread post by danieldohrman » February 6th, 2010, 2:21 am

love everyone one here
he ask about the ml270 and every says cant get after market bits for so dont get

what does he wanna use it for. He didnt say i wanna put a lift kit, big tyres on it.

he ask how they go offroad not how they go modded. And from my knowledge beach work, dirt roads, slippery surfaces... Apprantley quite comfy, and very nice to drive.

i wouldnt get one myself i would rather a range rover, toureg, or cant remember what the other one is lol

but all depends on what your wanting to do with.
Traveling Western Australia, here is some awesome places, tips and hints [url]http://www.danieldohrman.com[/url]
My Patrol[url=http://www.danieldohrman.com/daniel-dohrman/my-nissan-patrol/]http://www.danieldohrman.com/daniel-dohrman/my-nissan-patrol/[/url]

patrol17
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol17 » February 6th, 2010, 7:51 am

And does anybody remember when 4wdmonthly called back then maybe 5year's ago tested the the ml? pretty bad wright up i recall and they werent very impressed when they were off road got a flat and had to use the space saver which looked like a nissan mica tyre. boy were they not happy saying all the money you spend and all they give you is this piss weak lil tyre to put on a merc but merc did give you a plastic bag to put the punched tyre into lol, the mag came with a cd rom you use in your computer.

dazzler66
Avid Poster

Unread post by dazzler66 » February 6th, 2010, 9:52 am

Well POS seems to be the verdict.

So if POS stands for Perfectly Outstandingly Superb then Im off to get one!

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm

They got a pretty good review from the 4WD press when they first came out, considering they aren't generally considered a serious 4WD.
couldn't tell you when this was introduced, but there's an option pack on the current M class that includes a pair of diff locks and adjustable ride height, so they'll certainly hold their own in the rough....

patrol17, i do remember one test the mag did with the M class, the X5, a range rover and the LX470....the X5 got the wooden spoon by a reasonable margin for the off road testing, while the merc was third best (let down by lack of ground clearance i believe)...the rangie and the lexus were both pretty close in off road ability, and IIRC the lexus came in ahead of the range rover as the best all rounder of the four...
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » February 6th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Agree with you Mr G about the diesels. I'm quiet familiar with those engines as they are the same as the ones in the sprinter vans. I should have said everything else about the entire car other than the engine is a POS. Biggest mistake Benz ever made was letting the seppos buy in with chysler.

elky
Been here a while

Unread post by elky » February 6th, 2010, 7:09 pm

My father in law has a ML320 (v6 petty) and he came out with us to cruiser park

first problem was trying to get a proper spare wheel before hand

It went everywhere we went (GQ and 90 prado) but we were not doing the more hardcore stuff, traction control worked well too

So offroad it was ok, it has low range (alas just a button no lever) so it will do most reasonable stuff no probs

HOWEVER it has been a little unreliable with lots of niggly probs...

running on 5 cylinders at times (no help from mercedes on that)
drivers seat backrest broke a bolt while my missus was driving it (quite scary)

windscreen washer conking out, the rear is in the same bottle so he connected the rear motor wiring to the front one and that conked out...

batterys are unique so he had to get a mercedes one...and they charged a bit for the installation

SRS light keeps coming on...again no help from mercedes

It is fantastic to drive fast tho....built to be driven was faster than our limits, and handles well

overall i would not buy one tho....

cheers

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » February 6th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Are you two guys serious about the diesels???
Back when I was working with them we had no end of trouble with injectors leaking and then seizing in, glow plug trouble and on occations fueling issues causing loads of smoke.
Had similar issues when I moved over to jeep in the grand too.
Petrols still had there issues and also had all the other build issues across the range.
Window switches and the rate they went through brake pads was an absolute joke lol.

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » February 6th, 2010, 8:41 pm

I only had one injector sieze, but mostly on the early sprinters( 413) it was the overly sensative fuel system that gave the dramas. One tiny little bit a crap in the filter and the things would go into limp mode. We had our sparky wire in a reset switch so the drivers could just hit it and the system would reset and they would keep on truckin. Real handy when your in the boonies. eventually we fitted pre fuel filters with water bowls which worked pretty well. The next model were heaps better ( 416 ) and we had no dramas with a fleet of 4. Now they have 4 512's which have proved to be faultless mechanically. So its definitely been an evolution with the sprinters.

patrol17
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol17 » February 6th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Ever driven a ML55? WOOOOOOOOW, for a POS they go pretty quick!

Wiz.au
I'm new, be nice!

Re: MERCEDES ML270 - any good?

Unread post by Wiz.au » January 25th, 2017, 11:12 am

I know this thread is old, but I started looking at a ML270 as a 'backup' SWB 4WD...read some of the stuff on here, and then this:
http://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/ ... -done.html

And reportedly TJM do a bullbar for them...

However a Kia Sportage is looking real good now!

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”