MERCEDES ML270 - any good?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
alanloy56
I'm new, be nice!

MERCEDES ML270 - any good?

Unread post by alanloy56 » February 4th, 2010, 11:57 am

Does anyone have any experience with a MERCEDES ML270 off road? I presume that they are all right for dirt roads but beyond that???

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 4th, 2010, 12:59 pm

from what i've seen they sit about halfway between a BMW X5 and a Range Rover in terms of off road ability....

mercedes have the GL class and G class for those wanting genuine off road ability....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

nicko84
Been here a while

Unread post by nicko84 » February 4th, 2010, 2:13 pm

alanloy56 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with a MERCEDES ML270 off road? I presume that they are all right for dirt roads but beyond that???
keep in mind if things go wrong parts are not exactly cheap. just something to think about:truck:

alanloy56
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by alanloy56 » February 4th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Cheers

Not much in the after market gear either I suppose.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 4th, 2010, 4:06 pm

very little demand for aftermarket gear alanloy....i don't think i have seen an ML merc in aus with some of mods we would normally perform on our fourbies...
LN106 Hilux Project

Pog
Need to get out more

Unread post by Pog » February 4th, 2010, 7:29 pm

cac wrote:i don't think i have seen an ML merc in aus with some of mods we would normally perform on our fourbies...
I don't think I've ever seen an ML Merc in Aus with dirt on it! :crazy:
2002 Hilux 2.7 Dualcab, 2" OME suspension, LF240 50w HID's, IPF headlight upgrade, Icom IC-400PRO, RFI CD900, ECB bullbar, ARB compressor.

derrilex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by derrilex » February 4th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Dont touch one. The ML series is responsible for the biggest amount of warranty claims in the company's history. They are a massive POS.

patrol17
Part of the furniture

Unread post by patrol17 » February 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm

derrilex wrote:Dont touch one. The ML series is responsible for the biggest amount of warranty claims in the company's history. They are a massive POS.

haha so true

i remember working on them few years ago, 20 oooks rear pads gone
might as well give me the money and ill give you a huffy push bike cos you will be riding that more then driving in a ml POS

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » February 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm

cac wrote:from what i've seen they sit about halfway between a BMW X5 and a Range Rover in terms of off road ability....

mercedes have the GL class and G class for those wanting genuine off road ability....
that is a massive gap between a BMW X5 which is basically an all wheel drive soft roader to an extremely capable 4wd which will tackle most things if not more than a stock Landcruiser or Patrol would
[color="Orange"]smart has the plans

stupid has the stories[/color]

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » February 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm

that is a massive gap between a BMW X5 which is basically an all wheel drive soft roader to an extremely capable 4wd which will tackle most things if not more than a stock Landcruiser or Patrol would
hmm...good point, didn't think of it that way

maybe light/medium duty 4WD would be a better way to describe it then....its certainly more capable than a softroader...
LN106 Hilux Project

ATARI
Part of the furniture

Unread post by ATARI » February 4th, 2010, 11:23 pm

i hear they are great for ducking down to the cafe's & grabbing a latte...

my bosses wife HAD one, never again he said!
[b]Mighty BOY Hardcore Vitara featured in 4wd Custom #25[/b]
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/f27/mighty-boy-hardcore-vitara-4wd-custom-25-a-82571/[/url]

alanloy56
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by alanloy56 » February 5th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Thanks guys, I can take a hint!! :)

D Hall
Avid Poster

Unread post by D Hall » February 5th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Used know a bloke who is with Mercedes as there senior motor mechanic/trouble shooter.He had said that the rear mud flaps were part of the rear bumper.So if you snagged the rear mud flaps you also ripped of the rear bumper.Not a real good design.
Cheers D Hall
Hu Landcruiser.What else is there to own?Range Rover ute!

Mr Guzzi
Avid Poster

Unread post by Mr Guzzi » February 6th, 2010, 1:43 am

nicko84 wrote:keep in mind if things go wrong parts are not exactly cheap. just something to think about:truck:
That's a myth. Parts for German vehicles are usually cheaper than Jap cars because they are built to be rebuilt - so you can buy individual bits of things ratherthan the whole unit, if you know what I mean.
Dont touch one. The ML series is responsible for the biggest amount of warranty claims in the company's history. They are a massive POS.
Not the diesels (he's asking about an ML270). They had a lot of problems - serious problems - with the petrol engines, but the diesels are utterly bulletproof.

In fact the ML270 has the best diesel engine I've ever driven - an extraordinary amount of get up and go for a 2.7 TDI engine, and they will last even longer than a Toyota diesel.

The early models (up to 2003) had some minor problems, but nothing serious. 2003 saw a minor upgrade with minor body changes and indicators in the mirrors etc.

But don't get a 2003 model. With the upgrade they tried to make them more like an X5 with a more sporty feel, but they ballsed it up by giving it the most rigid suspension ever. I swear if you ran over a flea, you'd feel it. They got so many complaints about it that they changed it on the 2004 model to more compliant suspension.

They have some nifty features too, like a speed limiter. It won't let the car go faster than a speed you set, and when you come to a hill it'll go back through the gears and use engine braking to slow you down - great for avoiding speeding tickets.

They got a pretty good review from the 4WD press when they first came out, considering they aren't generally considered a serious 4WD.

Their AWD system is not as sophisticated as Subaru or Audi, and works by braking the spinning wheel, ratherthan transferring power away from it through the drivetrain (Subaru), but it works pretty well.

Overall, no one, but no one, builds diesels better than Merc, and I'd own another one in a heartbeat

danieldohrman
Been here a while

Unread post by danieldohrman » February 6th, 2010, 2:21 am

love everyone one here
he ask about the ml270 and every says cant get after market bits for so dont get

what does he wanna use it for. He didnt say i wanna put a lift kit, big tyres on it.

he ask how they go offroad not how they go modded. And from my knowledge beach work, dirt roads, slippery surfaces... Apprantley quite comfy, and very nice to drive.

i wouldnt get one myself i would rather a range rover, toureg, or cant remember what the other one is lol

but all depends on what your wanting to do with.
Traveling Western Australia, here is some awesome places, tips and hints [url]http://www.danieldohrman.com[/url]
My Patrol[url=http://www.danieldohrman.com/daniel-dohrman/my-nissan-patrol/]http://www.danieldohrman.com/daniel-dohrman/my-nissan-patrol/[/url]

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”