View topic - Holden rodeo's!!!

Holden rodeo's!!!

Discussion about anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's
I'm new, be nice!

Holden rodeo's!!!

i have had so much trouble with my rodeo mainly with the front independant suspension setup but the whole ute has been terrible, every thing going wrong with it and spending heaps of time fixing it for the performance of it to be garbage.

Unread postby TOUGH_75! » November 7th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Need to get out more

.....a blind whinge huh?

care to lay down some more details...?

what's going wrong with it?
what are you asking it to do?
how often do you drive it?
how many k's?
what condition was it when you bought it?
how do you drive?
did you do the repairs and mods yourself?
'98 Jackaroo - Alloy Bullbar, Stainless 3" snorkel, Steel Rear bumper, custom timber centre console, 245/75r16 All Terrains, 2" Suspension Lift.
Currently converting to 3.1L Diesel with MUA I-2 Gearbox, hybrid 94/98 dash and other things....

Unread postby chikoroll » November 7th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Been here a while

seems like those things have taken your mind off the crap turning circle those cars have

Unread postby wickiwickiben » November 7th, 2009, 11:25 pm

I'm new, be nice!

chikoroll wrote:.....a blind whinge huh?

care to lay down some more details...?

what's going wrong with it?
what are you asking it to do?
how often do you drive it?
how many k's?
what condition was it when you bought it?
how do you drive?
did you do the repairs and mods yourself?

The main problems are the drive shaft keeps playing up aswell as the hubs won't activate at times and the radiator is clogged up and nothing will free it up i've been looking around for a new 1 but none of them have the connections on the right side and the clutch keeps going on me i've redone it a few times. its done 183,000 kilometers and its had regular services all by me and every thing has been looked at but there are just things going wrong with it all the time. its normally just driven occaisionally on weekends and it doesn't have to much asked of it but i haven't been able to drive it too often because of all the time it spends in the workshop.And top stuff on your jackeroo it looks the good for a great camper.:thumb:

Unread postby TOUGH_75! » November 8th, 2009, 9:53 am

Need to get out more

TOUGH_75! wrote:The main problems are the drive shaft keeps playing up aswell as the hubs won't activate at times and the radiator is clogged up and nothing will free it up i've been looking around for a new 1 but none of them have the connections on the right side and the clutch keeps going on me i've redone it a few times. its done 183,000 kilometers and its had regular services all by me and every thing has been looked at but there are just things going wrong with it all the time. its normally just driven occaisionally on weekends and it doesn't have to much asked of it but i haven't been able to drive it too often because of all the time it spends in the workshop..
Sounds you you've got water and mud soup problems getting into everything eg: clutch, radiator fins, 4wd actuators on the front axle etc. It's a common problem on them but they can be sealed up.
When you've replaced the clutch have you had the flywheel machined as well?
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Unread postby sudso » November 8th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Been here a while

Don't loose heart tough 75, they are a top rig, and perhaps some attention to detail will restore it back to the great truck she is.

Remember, fix it right = fix it once. A blocked radiator core, if it wont clean with a few bottles of flush, just give it a re-core, and keep the original tanks, and it will be better than one from the wreckers, and last longer, and save you from the risk of blowing your head.

When doing clutches on 4x4, be carefull not to rest the weight of the box on the pressure plate fingers, because they can bend, and reduce the life of the clutch, and as mentioned always machine the flywheel and replace the spiggot bush. I got 150,000km on my last clutch (r9 4jb1t).

Your free wheelin' hubs are easily serviced, cleaned and repaired if needed.
Good luck, michael.

Unread postby RODEO4X4 » November 8th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Been here a while

sudso wrote:Sounds you you've got water and mud soup problems getting into everything eg: clutch, radiator fins, 4wd actuators on the front axle etc. It's a common problem on them but they can be sealed up.
When you've replaced the clutch have you had the flywheel machined as well?

Sudso when you say things that need to be sealed should i be looking into this before venturing into any water on the rig?

Unread postby Jasonr23 » November 14th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Need to get out more

Jasonr23 wrote:Sudso when you say things that need to be sealed should i be looking into this before venturing into any water on the rig?

Yep!
Speaking from experience here from when I owned a Rodeo. A TFS R9 V6 model but still the same critter basically. Mates R9 2.8TD had a flooded starter motor too.

Things to do for preventing water entry are common on most 4by's though but Rodeo's have a few points which need particular attention.

4wd Actuator on front axle & Transfer case (only for non manual hubs)
Starter motor
Clutch fork boot
Bell housing to engine
Diff and g/box breathers up high enough?

What's wrong with front suspension?
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Unread postby sudso » November 15th, 2009, 8:21 am

Return to All 4WD & Fourby Discussion