Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

waeco cf-50 won't run on 12 volts

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Here and there

waeco cf-50 won't run on 12 volts

Hi guys, i have a waeco cf 50 and runs perfect on 240 volts. When i try to run it of my duel battery set up or of the waeco battery pack the error light flashes and compressor doesn't run. The lights are still working on the fridge though.

I have had it running of both these devises before and with no problems.

Is there any easy fix for this problem or best to send it away to get checked?

Thanks in advance

Cam

Unread postby bshslt » December 30th, 2007, 8:11 am

Here and there

mine was doing the same thing,
it was repaired under warranty but is a common problem.
try searhing for waeco polyfuse as there has been heaps of discussion on this.

Unread postby phyrebug » December 30th, 2007, 8:22 am

Been here a while

trade it in on an engel :D
You Only Live Once!

80 series, 2' OME, GME 4400 , Engel 40lt , 33' Micky T MTZ's , IPF spots , Heap more coming!

Unread postby fixa4377 » December 30th, 2007, 8:56 am

Here and there

Thanks phyrebug found the thread on the polyfuse. Sounds exactly like the problem im having so will drop it of to get repaired.

Unread postby bshslt » December 30th, 2007, 9:48 am

Here and there

Hi guys, just picked up the waeco yesterday from getting repaired. They tried the polyfuse and still same problem. They ended up replacing the circuit board. Hope this helps any other waeco owners.

Where i bought it from they told me only 12 months warranty, turns out it is 3 years warranty.

I asked the repairer what is better engal or waeco and he said engal have there fair share of problems too and parts are very expensive for them.

Unread postby bshslt » January 11th, 2008, 7:31 am

Here and there

Waeco error.

I had the same problem - thermal overload or something. Got it fixed under warranty - but I cannot believe how many people have had this problem! There are quite a few similar threads on other sites.....

Maybe I am naiive but I find it hard to believe a product could be sold with such a common (but simply fixed) error - particularly when you are outlaying a grand or so..
Greg Simpson
Simmo's Offroad Tours
Orange NSW 2800
http://www.simmosoffroadtours.com

Unread postby Simmo67 » January 11th, 2008, 9:33 am

Part of the furniture

My mates Waeco is doing the same thing

I have had a Engle 42 lt it runs 24-7 at home when not on the back of the ute and has been doing that since 1992

It has been carried on the back of a open ute , across most deserts and up the Vic high country many times , rained on plenty of times filled with red dust ,and never missed abeat

But Im heading bush Sunday for a week , so I spose it will shyte itsself now (LOL)

Jacko

Unread postby JackoLux » January 11th, 2008, 9:38 am

Here and there

why haven't waeco done a recall on the poly fuse?

Unread postby 318 cruiser » January 11th, 2008, 10:13 am

Here and there

Waeco error

318 cruiser wrote:why haven't waeco done a recall on the poly fuse?

bloody good question 318 cruiser. The sales rep I spoke to knew exactly what the problem was before even looking at it. He had obviously fixed numerous others before mine...
Greg Simpson
Simmo's Offroad Tours
Orange NSW 2800

Unread postby Simmo67 » January 11th, 2008, 10:26 am

Need to get out more

because from what I can gather it relates to how people have wired their cars up to the blowing of the fuse which is something out of Waecos control

Unread postby grimbo » January 11th, 2008, 10:35 am

Here and there

Don't think so Grimbo.

The error occurs - even if you plug their fridge into their Waeco brand portable power pack (the Coolpower 36 portable battery).

Looking at numerous threads on numerous sites - it is a problem encountered by many people with many different set ups - the one common link is that it is a Waeco fridge and the bloody error light blinks - most often on the warmest days when you really want a $1000 fridge to work properly!!
Greg Simpson
Simmo's Offroad Tours
Orange NSW 2800

Unread postby Simmo67 » January 11th, 2008, 10:53 am

Been here a while

poly fuse

Unread postby l26255 » January 11th, 2008, 11:54 am

Need to get out more

fair enough then I've had no dramas with my Waeco for over 5 years. The only two I have personally known to fail were a result of the in car wiring.

Unread postby grimbo » January 11th, 2008, 11:56 am

Avid Poster

If you're buying potentially thousands of a part (polyfuse) at a time, it's possible to get a whole batch of duds. The problem lies with a part supplied by a third party, which is really beyond the control of Waeco. No doubt they have identified the faulty batch and gotten rid of whatever they had left.

With the amount of resellers and second hand ones getting around I imagine it would be pretty difficult to contact everyone to do a blanket recall. In any case, despite being a common problem it appears that it doesn't manifest in every fridge of that vintage, but at least they acknowledge what it is if it happens and fix it without too much fuss.

Unread postby oldmacdonald » January 11th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Been here a while

your right old macdonald, there were a batch of CF50's that were fitted with a poly fuse, (that has been used for a long time) that required replacement, I have found that this often doesn't present as a problem immediately, but can appear after some use. In other cases it happens straight away. I have repaired several as a Waeco Service agent. I also sell the units, and must say however sold the fridge to bshslt, is kidding themselves, not much of a sales person, if they can't even give the customer the right info.
Waeco has 5 years warranty on the box ( body of the fridge) and 3 years on the internal working bits.

Also not every fridge in the batch had a problem with the poly fuse, but the first thing we check is the serial number and if in the designated range, it is most likely the poly fuse. BUT ALWAYS check the vehicle wiring first as this is the most common fault with fridges. Insufficient wiring in the vehicle causing the fridge to receive voltage below its built in protection, thus showing an error light and yep the fridge won't operate correctly.

So in summary if you have a problem with your Waeco call into a service agent and have them check the voltage under load at the plug. Then check the fridge.

Cheers
Mick015
Where ever you go, there you are !

Unread postby Mick015 » January 11th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's