View topic - ute of year test??????

ute of year test??????

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Here and there

ute of year test??????

just a question here people, why has 4wd monthly, baggd the d40 ute, but when i see the frazer island dvd the editor is drivn one all loaded up?????? why not the bt50? reason i ask is was thinkn of buyn one, anhtr question 4wd australia rated the narvara 1st, as i found out at the dealership at nissen lol, so wats the go????3

Unread postby big country » November 6th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Avid Poster

Wasn't this the one they bagged out cause it had no under body protection and they holed the transfer case among other damage to the underside???

Only looked with vague interest as i've got a trol ute which would have won or atleast faught it out with the cruiser ute if they were allowed to enter ...

It should have been called the twin cab ute of the year IMHO

cheers utemad

Unread postby Ute Mad » November 6th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Avid Poster

Difference of opinion maybe? Lack of ARB accessories for the BT-50 at the time of the Fraser Island trip. I also think that the Fraser Island DVD was done before the Ute Of The Year DVD. I think.....

oh and BT-50 + water = bad juju

Unread postby Urshtnme » November 6th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Avid Poster

Personally the Navara was my favourite. My missus father has one and it pulls a twin axle trailer full of bricks and trestles all day and looks sexy at while doing it :D I think the fact that it broke twice could be a coincidence rather than a fault cause the hilux was the only one with under body protection but they cost anoth $5000.

Unread postby GRPABT1 » November 6th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Here and there

how long has he had the nissen?how many kays, n is it a diesel.. i think the mazda had underbody protectn too, the tank, the front, too...i like the nissen, but the rear seating sux, the small donk is suss n u hav to work it hard to get sum go n how long can u keep floggnn it? and for how long can the small untried donk keep it up i wonder??????my choice it triton, seats suc, but u seem not hav to flog it to get moving, n feels strong under neath u, with out too much effrt

Unread postby big country » November 6th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Here and there

Its already been discussed in the original Ute of the Year thread.
Personally for me it came down to the Hilux or navara. I think the diffference in testing between magazines probably reflects how tight the competition is in this category. The Triton immediately turned me off. My opinion being it looks FUGLY which is just a personal taste thing and im sure its a great rig.
As far as underbody protection goes i think most of em are lacking in that department to some degree.

Unread postby Haji » November 7th, 2007, 4:40 am

Avid Poster

The Ute Of The Year DVD helped me make my final decision on buying the Triton. Everyone has personal opinion on looks.

Haji is right though, they all could do with a bit more underbody protection.

Unread postby Urshtnme » November 7th, 2007, 7:53 am

Need to get out more

Have a read here Grimbo was actually on the trip and gave a great insight into it all.
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/f7/4wdmonthly-07-ute-year-dvd-34339/
2014 FJ with a few mods

Unread postby boof » November 7th, 2007, 7:58 am

Part of the furniture

The Narvara on the Fraser Island one was supplied by ARB wasnt it? So it was more an ARB supplied vehicle as opposed to one being suplied by a manufacturer.
Get all your 4wd accessories, workshop tools, leatherman knives, torches, hunting and rectreational knives and custom stickers from The 4wd Zone http://www.the4wdzone.com or the shop http://www.the4wdzone.com/shop

Unread postby Disco98 » November 7th, 2007, 11:34 am

Need to get out more

we didn't so much bag the Navara justthat the one that we tested on the ute of the Year Test failed big time. The test is based on the vehicles we are given and in those particular conditions.

Obviously the vehicles given to other mags and the tests they conduct are different and combined with different testers can give different results.

i can't comment on why the Navara was used on the Fraser Island DVD or who supplied as I haven't seen it.

Unread postby grimbo » November 7th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Avid Poster

Man Grimbo, ya missin out mate. Go get a few beers, some pizza and the DVD. It's one of the best for sure!

Unread postby Urshtnme » November 7th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Need to get out more

I can't find it anywhere, none of my local newsagents have it as I do want to see it.

Unread postby grimbo » November 7th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Need to get out more

The ute in the fraser dvd was/is the ARB rep car for Brisbane. It was shot before ute of the year.
If you are in the market for a new dual cab do yourself a favour and actually go look and drive them. Its helpfull to actually see what ticks all your boxes not what everyone else says.

Unread postby Big Boots » November 7th, 2007, 2:52 pm

Here and there

yes agree with all your comments, it comes down to the tick department, nissen drives dam good on road, front seatingthe best,looks great, but rear seating r major letdown for me.. hence reason buyn a duel cab...ok around town, but within an hour id be wantn out of rear seats..triton front sux, rear one of the best, factory diff lock, looks not bad.. drives good too,, warrenty great..so its for me i feel...

Unread postby big country » November 7th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Here and there

Dunno if anybody picked up the "Australian Ute" magazine issue 28 but they did a ute shoot out as well and they had the Triton as the best Ute followed by the Navara 2nd.

Unread postby Haji » November 8th, 2007, 4:38 am

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's