View topic - Buy a Jeep Patriot or Nissan Xtrail?

Buy a Jeep Patriot or Nissan Xtrail?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
I'm new, be nice!

Buy a Jeep Patriot or Nissan Xtrail?

Hey everyone i'm looking at getting a new vehicle and was considering either the new Jeep Patriot or Nissan X trail. I'm not a serious offroader but do like hitting the dirt occasionaly so a smaller size 4wd (SUV) would suit best. im interested in the patriot for its 2L turbo diesel engine (fuel consumption) and the xtrail caught my eye as it has been so popular.
Any advice on the following would be great...

Any pros or cons to each vehicle?
Servicing costs of jeep in comparison to nissan?
will the new xtrail have a turbo diesel like the european release?
has anyone bought a patriot yet? if so give us the heads up

if anyone has some other recommendations to these would be great.

thanks. dan

Unread postby dwd07 » September 12th, 2007, 7:39 am

Need to get out more

Can't answer most of what you ask except strangely (given that just about every vehicle being released these days has a diesel in the range) Nissan has ruled out the diesel. Maybe in a future model update?

Unread postby Marc 1 » September 12th, 2007, 7:59 am

Here and there

The patriot is MUCH more capable offroad.
Even just beach driving and the x-trail will struggle

Unread postby bikemat » September 12th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Part of the furniture

Haven't even seen the patriot so I can't comment on it or compare the two. My mother owns an x-trail and as a car to get around in it's pretty good. Has heaps of stick, comfy, easy to drive, handles wet roads and dirt roads really well. Drove an x-trail off the beach once, was surprised it went where it did but I wouldn't have chosen to drive it there. If you aren't really wanting a 4x4 but are more wanting a town car that isn't affraid of a dirt road or a slippery front lawn then the x-trail is probably a good go.
Currently walking...

Unread postby Big_Waity » September 12th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Been here a while

My wife has an X-Trail. In stock form it is a pretty good dirt/wet road car and is ok for some camping/touring. I like it for what it is and with a bit of minor work they can be great on the beach.

For beach work I would recommend replacing the exhaust. The stock exhaust is positioned a bit like a grader blade under the back of the car and does slowly catch a fair bit of sand until the gearbox drops you back to 2wd and your bogged. Replacing it gives you another 25kw (or something like that) and removes this drag on the car which helps keep the gearbox cooler (it does not work so hard) and so you tend to stay in 4wd.

In all cases where i have had it bogged on sand though (the wife was driving), I reckon a set of those matrax and we would have driven it straight out.

Saying that..im not allowed to do the exhaust on my wifes car nor am i allowed to fit the new 35mm springs for it ;) ...

...yet
UNIMOG - I may be slow, but I go anywhere...

Unread postby OFFTRACK2 » September 12th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Part of the furniture

sorry but wtf is a patriot

Unread postby Jarrod. » September 12th, 2007, 7:47 pm

Part of the furniture

Jarrod. wrote:sorry but wtf is a patriot

Here you go Jarrod have a look here mate

jeepnews
Get all your 4wd accessories, workshop tools, leatherman knives, torches, hunting and rectreational knives and custom stickers from The 4wd Zone http://www.the4wdzone.com or the shop http://www.the4wdzone.com/shop

Unread postby Disco98 » September 12th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Part of the furniture

Isn't it the beer that Peter Griffin drinks???
Currently walking...

Unread postby Big_Waity » September 12th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Part of the furniture

"If the roof and doors don't come off it's just another Camry"

[SIZE="1"]TJ lifted with MTRs, SYE conversion, susp airbags, swaybar discos, 4.11 diff ratios with ARB lockers.[/SIZE]
My Shed

Unread postby Jeeps » September 12th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Avid Poster

Go the diesel Patriot. Even though we don't get the good patriot in Australia which has Freedom drive 2 package built in and is trail rated. But I still don't mind the Australia version tuffest looking softroader on the market.

Unread postby pmturnbull » September 12th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Here and there

Yeah, go the patriot!! It's Probably the toughest softroader available in australia!! From what I have heard, just taking the x-trail offroad voids the warranty!! Although I haven't looked into the Jeep's Freedom drive I, with the x-trail, You'll automatically pop into fwd 2wd mode once you go over 40km/h, or once the psuedo transfere case overheats, which can be as little as 10 minutes....

Unread postby Tomas79 » September 12th, 2007, 9:06 pm

Been here a while

Pick up my new CRD ltd on saturday - the VW diesel in them is a proven engine and the patriots have been out in the USA for 12 months

the patriot is by far the best value softroader and the diesel option is still cheaper than all the japanese equivalents, crv, rav4 and outlander don't come close for fuel effiecency, power and clearance
only the korean and the suzuki are close in price

come and join the jeep community you'll never look back

Unread postby tasar » September 12th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Here and there

Personaly, If I was to publicly state that I'm gay, and get a soft-roader,
I'd propably get a dodge nitro! Cos they Just look so dam hot!!
And will propably have some serius do-up potential.
Particularly when the new jeep KK liberty/cherokee will arrive, which uses the same platform (but is a seriuse 4wd..), there will be a lot of interchangable parts..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby Tomas79 » September 12th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Part of the furniture

Tomas79 wrote:I'd propably get a dodge nitro! Cos they Just look so dam hot!!

Now that's gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. A person's personal preference is no-one's business but their own. :)
"If the roof and doors don't come off it's just another Camry"

[SIZE="1"]TJ lifted with MTRs, SYE conversion, susp airbags, swaybar discos, 4.11 diff ratios with ARB lockers.[/SIZE]
My Shed

Unread postby Jeeps » September 12th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Need to get out more

You'll automatically pop into fwd 2wd mode once you go over 40km/h, or once the psuedo transfere case overheats, which can be as little as 10 minutes....

volvo XC90s do the same thing....you tend to sink pretty quickly if your in the sand.....we found about the limitations of their 4WD system the hard way....luckily we had the knowhow to get out reasonably quickly.....dad's a fairly experienced sand driver....

i know nothing about the jeep though, but given the above, i wouldn't recommend the Xtrail if you are doing any sand driving....

Unread postby cac » September 12th, 2007, 10:26 pm

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's