View topic - TJM vs ARB who to go to?

TJM vs ARB who to go to?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Need to get out more

I totally agree landcruiser ute, but the thread is about ARB vs TJM, and what everyone thinks, that just what me and grimbo think, ive said enough, hope to see some more arguments here sometime soon.
:crazy:

Anyhow, state of origin is on soon time to get ready :drink:
2000 GU DX Patrol Ute, Factory Turbo, 3 inch exhaust, Canopy, Triple Batteries, 33x12.5 MTZs on 15x10 Challenger Alloys, 9500lb Winch

Unread postby Walt » June 13th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Part of the furniture

gxlprado wrote:I DO!, I want peace of mind in the product i buy.

that is very true kev but when you bought your arb bull bar did they tell you with the bar fitted to the vechile and 4 people in the car that it would exxeced the front axle load ????? i dont think they would have i dont know wheather they do or not but iknow that at our tjm store and all tjm stores they will tell you this information nad guide you in how to fix it now that is real peace of mind !!!
2005 Toyota Hilux Single Cab EX Mines
Run A Muck 4WD Club(timmy)

Unread postby landcrusier ute » June 13th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Here and there

slowlux wrote:tend to agree, the person driving behind you couldve told you that

I bet everone would have been saying they were **** if they missed it :confused:

Funny how the retail Customer thinks.

My local TJM dealer at Nerang was not even interested in talking to me about a full fit out for our new Jeeep (winch bar, winch, UHF with long range aerial,Spot lights, recovery gear etc) about $4500.... The boys at ARB Burleigh have been awesome and answered all my stupid questions:waycool:

Just my 2 cents

Unread postby matt#73 » June 13th, 2007, 11:17 pm

Need to get out more

In the end it is the relationship you build with the salesman. If you come in all guns firing demanding discounts or the very best price they can do and they don't know you from a bar of soap, well what do you expect. Many 4wd products have little margin built into them so on some products there isn't much they can do in regards to price discounting.

I havve developed relationships with certain stores over time which means I have spent money with them, recommended other people to them and they have loked after me. It is a two way street I reckon.

In the end the products from any of the major players are going to do the job, the make or break is the person you deal with. Sometimes you get on well with them sometimes you don't, sometimes they just might be having a bad day or sometimes they have no clue and nothing can be done about that

Unread postby grimbo » June 14th, 2007, 9:19 am

Here and there

i have had no experence with the TJM mob but the ARB store in my hometown dont know the difference between the hubs and the transfer case. last year i had the output shaft on the transfer case go on me, i know it was in the transfer case because when under load in low range the front tailshaft was not turning and a grinding noise was coming out of the transfer case, but when i took it to arb they wanted to take apart my hubs :crazy: since then i have been going to my commodore mechanic who use to work for the ARB store and left to open his own workshop and even he said that they were a pak of useless bar$^%ds:computer:

and for all other things i go to the local 4x4 wreckers for advice i have found that their knowlage is so much more superior to the local ARB store:waycool:

Unread postby gofour » June 14th, 2007, 9:56 am

Need to get out more

Don't confuse a store that sells ARB products to an ARB owned and run store.

Unread postby grimbo » June 14th, 2007, 10:01 am

Need to get out more

ARB are an accessory store not a mechanical store.
2014 FJ with a few mods

Unread postby boof » June 14th, 2007, 10:17 am

Need to get out more

a Mechanic is always going to have a better understanding of your vehicle than some accessory store. The main mechanical work these 2 companies do is trip prep, which consists mainly of suspension checks and the like. You can't expect them to know everything.
99 SR5 Dual Cab Lux

Unread postby Celt's » June 14th, 2007, 10:40 am

Here and there

It's interesting to compare the 2. After being out of the 4wd game for many years, a recent trip around both stores here in Townsville showed a huge difference in the staff & their attitudes.

When enquiring about a bull bar & rear tyre carrier,

The TJM staff gave me the impression I was a huge inconvenience to their day by asking questions. They simply pointed me to the brochure stand. After flicking through the brochure for a few minutes, I then felt lucky to be able to get their attention and disturb their day again to get a bit more basic info out them, y'know real hard obscure type questions,, like the prices. :confused:

It was the opposite over at ARB, they coulndn't have been more helpfull. Besides having a good old yack over the display items & brochures, they wizzed the computer up & showed me a bucketload of extra pics of similar fitups to what I was looking for. Their handing over of a complete price list is also quite forward thinking.

I'm a bit old school, my thinking is TJM don't deserve my money.

Unread postby Barry Mundi » June 14th, 2007, 11:33 am

Been here a while

02-SR5 wrote:I have to agree, if you find a good dealer, stick to them. You will get wankers every where. Up here in Darwin both TJM and ARB are both good. However TJM fitters are a bit dodgy up here though, where as I had both airlockers and roof canopy fitted by ARB and never had a problem with fitting.

I got a roof rack fitted by TJM. They pointed out the rust on the new roof rack (brand new- outta the box).I would have driven home, and noticed it later. I have to go back and get a replacement fitted next month.So-bad product, good service.

I got a complete ARB suspension fitted at Winnellie .Great product ....... I'll go to Palmerston next time.......

So I reckon. either ask a local or two. Or do what I did. Pay your money, and take your chances.

Mark

Unread postby no eye deer » June 14th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Need to get out more

and if it wasn't for either of these companies I doubt the 4WD world would be what it is today.
I'd like to see some of you blokes who are winging, when you are on the other end of the stick with a multi million $$$ company and the overheads they would run, paying the bills every week.
Simple big business means big overheads, and every body working for them thinks they are worth a big pay packet regardless how good or bad they are.
Anybody can make something at home and think it costs them $40 in steel and XYZ company wants $500, but how long did it take you to make it, I bet at work you want to be paid at least $20 an hour for workking, but at home you are happy to spend 50 hours making something and thinking it costs nothing.
2005 GU PATROL
82 SWB MQ PATROL COMP RIG
Come visit my store in Hervey Bay www.coastal4x4.com.au

Unread postby 2 BRUTAL » June 14th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Need to get out more

grimbo wrote:Don't confuse a store that sells ARB products to an ARB owned and run store.

I think that is a very good point grimbo. I think that sometimes the big dealers can let there reputation get the better of them, when on the other hand, a smaller company, even if they do sell ARB or TJM products, have a reputation to build and keep, cause face it, ARB or TJM arent gona go broke because they release a dodgy product or they annoy a couple of people with poor service, however on the other hand, a smaller local bloke who may only have a handful of customers, needs every one of them to survive, and will do their best to keep them happy.
2000 GU DX Patrol Ute, Factory Turbo, 3 inch exhaust, Canopy, Triple Batteries, 33x12.5 MTZs on 15x10 Challenger Alloys, 9500lb Winch

Unread postby Walt » June 14th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Need to get out more

Also have the problem that some two bit store will proudly display the ARB or TJM logo as a reseller and then do those companies no favours with poor service or product advice tarnishing their reputation as people will bad mouth ARB or TJM because of their service from Joe Blogs 4WD Centre who really has nothing to do with the companies other than selling their products

Unread postby grimbo » June 14th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Been here a while

18 months ago, I rang the "big three" up here for a quote to supply and fit a few accessories to a 100 series. O/L replied by fax the very next day, with a few follow-up phone calls by the sales manager as we finalised the list.

O/L got the job, and every other job since.

Still waiting for the others to "get back to me".
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

VKS-737 Mobile 5050
My Shed http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=509&im=1

Unread postby Lookfar » June 14th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Need to get out more

were they actual manufacturer owned stores or 4wd stores that sold that particular brand of product?

Unread postby grimbo » June 14th, 2007, 5:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's