3.4v6 Prado Should I go LPG?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
LiftedLux
Been here a while

3.4v6 Prado Should I go LPG?

Unread post by LiftedLux » March 20th, 2007, 9:37 am

I'm thinking of getting the gas conversion on my 99 prado. Can anyone tell me the pro's cons of a 4wder getting gas fitted.

It's be dual fuel so one tank of each, and it's only cost me around $500..

Tell me about grunt/mileage/availability/ anything genuine you can add I'd love to hear!

Cheers.

Bazza_rips
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Bazza_rips » March 20th, 2007, 11:48 am

the thing to remember with gas is that it has less enery then petrol. that means you need to use mroe of it to make the same power. I had gas on my falcon and it was less powerful and generally didn't run as well.

If you plan to do outback trips, i would give it a miss because it is hard to find in the more remote towns. I'm sure they have come a long way since the one was installed in my falcon but i'd never have a dual fuel car again.
Moderate amount of kit......... Still a bloody long list to go!

Who needs Bling when you've got Black sunnies?

baby_troupe
Need to get out more

Unread post by baby_troupe » March 20th, 2007, 2:04 pm

I run LPG on my 2002 V6 commodore ute.
It has been on there since before I bought it at 40,000km & now has just had the 150,000km service done.
Yes it does release less energy, therefore uses a little more fuel to do the same km, but I have found that not to be a big issue.
My range is now 800km on 100litres of LPG
I get 650km on 60 litres of Petrol.

As for power, mine is tuned for LPG,s o I notice hardly any difference in power other than the LPG runs better, smoother & seems to have a little more.
On Petrol it seems to have a missfire.
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~stella_and_col/mypic49.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.baby-troupe.i8.com]www.baby-troupe.i8.com[/url]

disco_nex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by disco_nex » March 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm

The rest of the boys have said it above. One other thing is to check that the 3.4's can be converted to gas. Some engines aren't made to operate at the high operating temps common with LPG, meaning that you can burn your valves out. So check that out as well.

Disco has a 65L tank, I get 250-350 k's out of a tank, depending on town or country driving. Rover V8's love fuel, so it's worse in the unleaded tank. It would be a far deal better for you and the 3.4.
Tools of trade:
95 Jeep XJ Cherokee, Canon 1000D, Dunlop Volleys, Swag and seat.
She cannot ride a horse because her quadriceps are so tight she cannot straddle anything larger than a border collie.

hoogs
Getting to know the place

Unread post by hoogs » March 20th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Gas injection would be the go very little power loss if any and some times gain of power . I have hilux with same motor have spoken to a few diffrent gas converters and they all say theres no problams with these engines, no power loss. Gas is a higher octane so it will burn quicker.

hopper
Been here a while

Unread post by hopper » March 20th, 2007, 8:21 pm

I have been running LPG in a 3.4 v6 Prado 98 for two years and it is great the loss of power is only slight and would only be noticed if you were hauling a heavy trailer or had a heavy foot have had no problems ......however make sure your installer has done a prado before and is aware of the potentual for back fire do this in a prado and the sensor in the maifold is costly as it will break it ....mates prado had this happen and cost $$$$$$$$$$
so check out the installer first
having said that I have no complaints ....cheap running $34 to fill 68ltrs
and about 420ks
Mummy not happy, then nobody happy - Perth WA

LiftedLux
Been here a while

Unread post by LiftedLux » March 21st, 2007, 10:58 am

Well that sounds likeit's totally worth it. Just means that on big trips I'd have to carry extra fuel. Cause I guess you wouldn't get much gas in remote locations.. hmmmm sounds more and more worthwhile.

Terry
Been here a while

Unread post by Terry » March 21st, 2007, 6:14 pm

my 3.4 lux is getting a gas conversion in a few weeks.
with the injected gas kits, backfires don't happen and are a thing of the past.
ive fitted a flashlube kit, but don't really know if its worth it. anyone here using one?

prado4x4
Here and there

Unread post by prado4x4 » March 22nd, 2007, 9:26 am

I'd also wonder where they install the gas tank. I imagine that the installer will remove one of the current fuel tanks, and put in the gas tank (can't think of anywhere else it could go).

This would reduce your range quite a bit when touring (use more gas, than fuel - and can't refill the gas often outback). One of the advantages of a GXL prado, is the dual fuel tanks for range.

Something to think about anyway

bloke76
Avid Poster

Unread post by bloke76 » March 22nd, 2007, 1:46 pm

i had lpg fitted when i bought my 100 series 4.5petrol. i would recommend you do it. especially if its only gonna cost you 500 bucks.

i get roughly 380-420km out of a 92 litre tank (depending on type of driving and load) which cost me only 45 bucks to fill. they remove the spare wheel and auxilliary tank on the 100 series so i assume they would do a similar thing on prados.
there is a slight loss in power in mine but it is not enough to bother you at all especially when you pull up at a servo and it only costs 45 bucks to fill.

compare it to unleaded in my wagon the unleaded doesn't come close for price.

lpg - 92 litres - 400km - $45
unleaded - 95 litres - 500km - $120

as for long trips, take a couple of jerry cans if you really need more range.

it is a much cleaner burning fuel with low emissions to do our bit for the environment aswell, since us 4wders tend to get labelled a bit in our big fuel guzzlers.
engine oil tends to stay cleaner for longer aswell
BROWN HORNET
2000 TD dual cab lux to drag me the missus and hounds around in.

LiftedLux
Been here a while

Unread post by LiftedLux » March 22nd, 2007, 3:05 pm

Sounds Great! My RV has dual tanks. I'm pretty sure they remove the aft tank and replace it with the gas tank. So I'd still have a tank of both fuel types.

My only concern now is for touring. What would this mod do to planning a trip like desert? Would 400kms Unleaded plus an initial say 400kms gas be enough to carry out long hauls? hmmm...

Considering gas wouldn't be widely available in remote areas, would 400kms range on petrol be enough to get me by when touring between servo's with or without gas?

I guess the safe bet is no. Don't do it. but does anyone know of anyone who DOES tour with dual fuel? and has it worked okay for them?

taresk
Avid Poster

Unread post by taresk » March 22nd, 2007, 10:21 pm

I asked around the LPG installers about this for my Prado, the only reason I didn't get it done is that I plan to do some touring trips where gas may not be available, and as I was told by each installer, they replace the 90L rear tank with a 60L (usable) gas tank, thereby knocking a few hundred kay's off your range.
If range isn't an issue, or if you have a camper trailer to lug around jerry cans, then you really can't go wrong (provided you use an RTA approved installer).

bloke76
Avid Poster

Unread post by bloke76 » March 23rd, 2007, 10:47 am

i don't really see the long distance touring as a major issue. you would have to keep it in mind though. there are plenty of vehicles out there travelling around without dual or long range tanks with capacity of 70-80 litres.
BROWN HORNET
2000 TD dual cab lux to drag me the missus and hounds around in.

Maineiac
Been here a while

Unread post by Maineiac » March 23rd, 2007, 3:54 pm

I took my duel fuel GQ Adelaide to Tenants Creek via the old Ghan then to Ayers Rock (I've never been known to be politically correct) back to Adelaide then Melbourne. I had 100 ltrs LPG and 70 petrol. Carried 40 ltrs petrol with me. LPG turned out to be a lifesafer when my fuel pump decided to push up daisies. Most of the major towns have LPG and it just never seemed to be an issue although more remote areas obviously would.

Remember though LPG may not continue to remain a lot less expensive than petrol. If I recall the excise tax on petrol is going to be applied to LPG as well on a graduated basis.
2000 GU 4.2TD .

LiftedLux
Been here a while

Unread post by LiftedLux » March 23rd, 2007, 6:19 pm

interesting. If I did the conversion i'd be able to carry 60l fuel and 60l gas. I'm not sure what range the gas would give me (Other than whats been stated already) but the fuel would give me around 400kms. I gues I can always carry fuel on the roof for really remote trips.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”