View topic - Engel Fridge problems

Engel Fridge problems

Discussion about anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's
Here and there

Engel Fridge problems

Hi
I haven't posted anything for a while so forgive me if this topic has been flogged, I have had my 60 litre Engel for approx 8 years now after buying it second hand from family friends. It's an old mustard lid and Richie Benaud beige job with the temp control and cables at the top. Until recently it has always been reliable, and a joy to own. Recently I have noticed after plugging in the Engel to 240V to get cold one night before heading bush that the thermostate wasn't turning off, assuming that it was the thermostate I sent it off to the ACT Engel repairer who conducted tests to ascertain what was going on. His diagnosis was that the thermostate was working and that the fridge was just worn out, and not worth repairing due to the age of the fridge and the cost of a new compressor.
Whilst I am aware that nothing lasts forever I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems. I suspect the fridge is approx 20 years old but its not like it is used everyday. It has been stored and cared for correctly over the years . I sent a similar message off to Engel two weeks ago and are yet to even get a response, I would like to update with a new 40l but will now look at other brands.

Unread postby dreaming » May 12th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Been here a while

Re:Engel Fridge problems

G'day dreaming
I've got a couple of Engels - a new 40l and an old 39l which is well over 20 y.o. and has never missed a beat. In fact I sold another very old 29l Engel ( also well over 20 y.o.) to get the new one and that had never missed a beat either. So I've had a trouble-free run, but I believe the Waeco is as good, if not better, according to some.

Unread postby Baldeagle » May 12th, 2004, 2:57 pm

Been here a while

I have an old Waeco and I keep it running at all times to keep the seals (in the compressor) in good nick. I was told that leaving them off in the garage will wreck them quicker than anything.

Unread postby oiler » May 12th, 2004, 3:14 pm

Been here a while

[quote author=oiler link=board=1;threadid=2795;start=0#msg42346 date=1084338891]
I have an old Waeco and I keep it running at all times to keep the seals (in the compressor) in good nick. I was told that leaving them off in the garage will wreck them quicker than anything.
[/quote]Well I don't know how old your waeco is but I don't recall them have a motor driving a compressor like on a car with "seals"! I would say 99% of comercial portable fridge/freezers have a "hermetic" or sealed compressor and they are generallly piston type compressors with reed valves or could be scroll compressors these days. Just like a house fridge, they may not liked being turned off for extended periods as the pressure in the evaporator rises to system pressure and it is the most vunerable place to leak, however, they are all tested and designed to handle this higher pressure so this should not be a problem. (I have come accross it though) By running the unit all the time you will eventually wear it out, not sure on the life expectancy of the compressors/valves in these. The engel above may have a number of possible problems, what temperature does it get down to, on 240 volt & 12 volt? Does it get cool at all. Does it cycle on the thermostat at any position or not at all. I hope you have some luck with Engel emails, I have spoken to them 3 times, given them my email, and have never received any information from them.

Unread postby 100 TD » May 12th, 2004, 5:28 pm

Here and there

Thanks for your thoughts, from memory the repair agent mentioned that he could only get it to go to -2 on freeze, I will dig out the repair report to double check.
I guess my biggest problem (apart from having to fork out at least a grand to replace my ol 60) is the lack of help or feedback from Engel. And like TD100 I have in the past tried to get info or advice with never a response, this seems to be a contrast from all the flashy advertising they do in many magazines, maybe a little money on after sales support would be money better spent. I went looking after work todat at what was on offer, I have reservations with the lid and hinges on the Waeco however apart from that they look like the real deal. I then looked at the EvaKool 47L and was very impressed, although like the Waeco you need to purchase a seperate power supply to run on 240. This requirement not only adds extra money but is inconvenient and cumbersome for my way of thinking. In closing looks like I'm leaning back towards the Engel, not due to their customer relations however.

Unread postby dreaming » May 12th, 2004, 7:26 pm

Been here a while

[quote author=100 TD link=board=1;threadid=2795;start=0#msg42369 date=1084346924]
[quote author=oiler link=board=1;threadid=2795;start=0#msg42346 date=1084338891]
[/quote]Well I don't know how old your waeco is but I don't recall them have a motor driving a compressor like on a car with "seals"! I would say 99% of comercial portable fridge/freezers have a "hermetic" or sealed compressor and they are generallly piston type compressors with reed valves or could be scroll compressors these days. Just like a house fridge, they may not liked being turned off for extended periods as the pressure in the evaporator rises to system pressure and it is the most vunerable place to leak, however, they are all tested and designed to handle this higher pressure so this should not be a problem. (I have come accross it though) By running the unit all the time you will eventually wear it out, not sure on the life expectancy of the compressors/valves in these. The engel above may have a number of possible problems, what temperature does it get down to, on 240 volt & 12 volt? Does it get cool at all. Does it cycle on the thermostat at any position or not at all. I hope you have some luck with Engel emails, I have spoken to them 3 times, given them my email, and have never received any information from them.
[/quote]

Just what I heard, I'm no expert.

Unread postby oiler » May 13th, 2004, 10:49 am

Here and there

g'day dreaming i've got a 60 lt engel which has been everywhere you could imagine.12 months ago after coming back from the cape & the gulf. the compressor inherited a knocking noise in the compressor, although not efecting the performance of the fridge the noise was giving me the *******.i got in contact with the authrorized repairer to have it looked at and straight away he knew what was wrong with out even looking at it.the complete refridgeration unit was replaced under warranty with in 5 working days.i have been more than happy with the after sales service from engel.i've got some friends with 80 lt waco's there only real complants is the power consumption when running on 12 volt. best of luck.

Unread postby tony » May 13th, 2004, 11:51 am

g,day i repair domestic household type refrigerators for a living, although these are not engels. all electric refrigerators run on the same principal. it sounds like your engel may have developed a gas leak either on one of the pipe joints or it may have a minute hole in the evaporator. your compressor may be ok but its hard to say without fitting a gauge to it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Unread postby Guest » May 14th, 2004, 9:15 am

Been here a while

G'day again dreaming
I got some useful info earlier this year from a bloke by the name of Mike Meech who has been servicing portable fridges for 30 years. I think his address is........

pweb@portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au

Unread postby Baldeagle » May 14th, 2004, 9:52 am

Avid Poster

Gday Dreaming, mate i have been looking into a bush fridge for a while now myself. I went in with an open mind about it as i have never owned one before but know people who do own different brands of them.

I was at first partial to the 80ltr weaco, but as usual with me i go into too much research with things and annoy the **** outta myself and the missus in doing so ::), anyway i too have been swayed back to the engel as well.

Without trying to start a debate i have been led to believe that the weaco's are very reliable until you expose them to too much rough 4wding, then the compressors get upset, also didn't like the idea of having to buy and then lug around an inverter for it as well, but the weight or lack of was a big bonus.

Engel have recently released a 60ltr fridge/freezer MT 60 F-C is the model number RRP is $1699 which is alot but it's not what ya know it's who ya know so i'm lucky to be able to get a 25% discount and a free cover as well. I had already decided to go with the engel before i found out about the discount.

My point with the fridge/freezer and it was something i hadn't even considered, is that you can carry an esky with you, produce ice in the freezer and use it in the esky, great for extended trips. Simple i know but i am a little slow at times ;). It is supposedly the lowest amp draw rate on the market and for full self sufficiency appearently a 100watt solar panel will run it and built in ac dc inverter is great.

I rang the engel toll free number this morning and got straight through to a knowlegable rep who was able to answer all my questions happily and satisfactorily so i don't know why you are having trouble but then again i didn't request any documentation either so that could be a different story.

Sorry to waffle on guys just thought i would throw my 2 cents worth in as you never now who could gain something from your opinion, cheers. ;D

Unread postby FREAK » May 14th, 2004, 3:52 pm

I have a Bushman 35-42 ltr. They run a Danfoss Rotary Compressor. The Engels run a piston type. Mine runs in the back of the Troopy day and night, and has done sofor the last 9 months. Also about $250.00 cheaper than the Engel..

Unread postby Troopy93 » May 15th, 2004, 5:07 pm

Here and there

[quote author=FREAK link=board=1;threadid=2795;start=0#msg42825 date=1084513959]
Gday Dreaming, mate i have been looking into a bush fridge for a while now myself. I went in with an open mind about it as i have never owned one before but know people who do own different brands of them.

I was at first partial to the 80ltr weaco, but as usual with me i go into too much research with things and annoy the **** outta myself and the missus in doing so ::), anyway i too have been swayed back to the engel as well.

Without trying to start a debate i have been led to believe that the weaco's are very reliable until you expose them to too much rough 4wding, then the compressors get upset, also didn't like the idea of having to buy and then lug around an inverter for it as well, but the weight or lack of was a big bonus.

Engel have recently released a 60ltr fridge/freezer MT 60 F-C is the model number RRP is $1699 which is alot but it's not what ya know it's who ya know so i'm lucky to be able to get a 25% discount and a free cover as well. I had already decided to go with the engel before i found out about the discount.

My point with the fridge/freezer and it was something i hadn't even considered, is that you can carry an esky with you, produce ice in the freezer and use it in the esky, great for extended trips. Simple i know but i am a little slow at times ;). It is supposedly the lowest amp draw rate on the market and for full self sufficiency appearently a 100watt solar panel will run it and built in ac dc inverter is great.

I rang the engel toll free number this morning and got straight through to a knowlegable rep who was able to answer all my questions happily and satisfactorily so i don't know why you are having trouble but then again i didn't request any documentation either so that could be a different story.

Sorry to waffle on guys just thought i would throw my 2 cents worth in as you never now who could gain something from your opinion, cheers. ;D

I know the feeling of too much research, I spend more time researching a product than using it lately, I will throw in another fridge for discussion. I reckon these will become popular over here as they certainly look like they are rugged enough to handle the rough and tumble.
Checkout http://www.nationalluna.com[/quote]

Unread postby dreaming » May 16th, 2004, 10:27 am

my engels one of the old dinosaurs at least 20 years old i got it second hand and its been taken to hell and back. i cart it around on the back of my hilux. it has often been exposed to mud, rain direct sun, and it even bounced off the tray once (forgot to tie it down), it stills works perfectly well. im thinking about buying a bigger one, and after seeing what this one has endured i wouldnt purchase anything but an engel.

Unread postby Guest » May 17th, 2004, 11:23 am

Here and there

Thanks guys for your thoughts, I will add that I am not Engel bashing, far from it my 20+ year old fridge has been the best camping accessory I have purchased. I don't doubt HiLuxMadness for a moment on thier toughness and durability, the issue I had is what the local Engel repair guy wrote on my receipt. I'm happy to fax a copy to any budding or experienced fridge mechanics for a second opinion.
I wrote Engel for their opinion and three weeks later are yet to hear a peep, I asked a simple question to the Waeco website and that day was contacted and had all of my questions answered.
I am interested in the National Luna fridge from South Africa (resellers in Oz) and would like to see a comparo between the Engel 60 and equivalent National Luna model. I wondering how the new generation of fridge freezer units power consumtion compares to fridge only. If I was using the freezer to freeze ice blocks to keep the esky cold I reckon I would need more than a dual battery setup, probably have to buy solar or a gennie to keep the batts up to power consumption.

Unread postby dreaming » May 17th, 2004, 8:42 pm

Need to get out more

i've got a 45l waeco and have had it for 3 years yesterday. but for some reason it won't work at present. i thought it was the 12 volt cord but it's not. but it won't be anything to drastic as it works when you wriggle the cord but then it stops again. i think it must have a loose connection inside somewhere. we used it for 4 days non stop just the other week, came home and went to use it again 4 days later and it wouldn't go. i would certainly buy another 1

Unread postby 2 BRUTAL » May 17th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Next

Return to All 4WD & Fourby Discussion